OUR LORIN MCKINLEE!!!

Postby Marinepits » June 7th, 2008, 6:59 pm

Ah, gotcha. Thank you -- that makes perfect sense. :)

Keeping good thoughts for all your family. :hug3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby gayrghts » June 7th, 2008, 7:10 pm

Breast milk and jaundice....

there are many reasons for jaundice.... often just immaturity of the baby's liver...

a baby can become jaundice due to breast feeding, if the breast milk is not "in" well, and the baby is getting dehydrated from not enough milk.

Here's an article on all the diff types and treatments.

Jaundice in Healthy Newborns
A common condition in newborns, jaundice refers to the yellow color of the skin and whites of the eyes caused by excess bilirubin in the blood. Bilirubin is produced by the normal breakdown of red blood cells.

Normally, bilirubin passes through the liver and is excreted as bile through the intestines. Jaundice occurs when bilirubin builds up faster than a newborn's liver can break it down and pass it from the body. Reasons for this include:

Newborns make more bilirubin than adults do since they have more turnover of red blood cells.
A newborn baby's still-developing liver may not yet be able to remove adequate bilirubin from the blood.
Too large an amount of bilirubin is reabsorbed from the intestines before the baby gets rid of it in the stool.
High levels of bilirubin — usually above 25 mg — can cause deafness, cerebral palsy, or other forms of brain damage in some babies. In less common cases, jaundice may indicate the presence of another condition, such as an infection or a thyroid problem. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that all infants should be examined for jaundice within a few days of birth.

Types of Jaundice
The most common types of jaundice are:

Physiological (normal) jaundice: occurring in most newborns, this mild jaundice is due to the immaturity of the baby's liver, which leads to a slow processing of bilirubin. It generally appears at 2 to 4 days of age and disappears by 1 to 2 weeks of age.

Jaundice of prematurity: occurs frequently in premature babies since they are even less ready to excrete bilirubin effectively. Jaundice in premature babies needs to be treated at a lower bilirubin level than in full term babies in order to avoid complications.

Breastfeeding jaundice: jaundice can occur when a breastfeeding baby is not getting enough breast milk because of difficulty with breastfeeding or because the mother's milk isn’t in yet. This is not caused by a problem with the breast milk itself, but by the baby not getting enough to drink.

Breast milk jaundice: in 1% to 2% of breastfed babies, jaundice may be caused by substances produced in their mother's breast milk that can cause the bilirubin level to rise. These can prevent the excretion of bilirubin through the intestines. It starts after the first 3 to 5 days and slowly improves over 3 to 12 weeks.

Blood group incompatibility (Rh or ABO problems): if a baby has a different blood type than the mother, the mother might produce antibodies that destroy the infant's red blood cells. This creates a sudden buildup of bilirubin in the baby's blood. Incompatibility jaundice can begin as early as the first day of life. Rh problems once caused the most severe form of jaundice, but now can be prevented with an injection of Rh immune globulin to the mother within 72 hours after delivery, which prevents her from forming antibodies that might endanger any subsequent babies.

Symptoms and Diagnosis
Jaundice usually appears around the second or third day of life. It begins at the head and progresses downward. A jaundiced baby's skin will usually appear yellow first on the face, followed by the chest and stomach, and finally, the legs. It can also cause the whites of an infant's eyes to appear yellow.

Since many babies are now released from the hospital at 1 or 2 days of life, it is best for the baby to be seen by a doctor within 1 to 2 days of leaving the hospital to check for jaundice. Parents should also keep an eye on their infants to detect jaundice.

If you notice your baby’s skin or eyes looking yellow you should contact your child's doctor to see if significant jaundice is present.

At the doctor's office, a small sample of your infant's blood can be tested to measure the bilirubin level. Some offices use a light meter to get an approximate measurement, and then if it is high, check a blood sample. The seriousness of the jaundice will vary based on how many hours old your child is and the presence of other medical conditions.

When to Call the Doctor
Your doctor should be called immediately if:

jaundice is noted during the first 24 hours of life
the jaundice is spreading or getting more intense
your baby develops a fever over 100° Fahrenheit (37.8° Celsius) rectally
if your child starts to look or act sick
Also call the doctor right away if the color deepens, your baby is not feeding well, or if you feel your baby is sleepier than usual. It is difficult to tell how significant jaundice is just by looking at a baby, so any baby who has yellow eyes or skin should be checked by the doctor.

Treatments
In mild or moderate levels of jaundice, by 1 to 2 weeks of age the baby will take care of the excess bilirubin on its own. For high levels of jaundice, phototherapy — treatment with a special light that helps rid the body of the bilirubin by altering it or making it easier for your baby's liver to get rid of it — may be used.

More frequent feedings of breast milk or supplementing with formula to help infants pass the bilirubin in their stools may also be recommended. In rare cases, a blood exchange may be required to give a baby fresh blood and remove the bilirubin.

If your baby develops jaundice that seems to be from breast milk, your doctor may ask you to temporarily stop breastfeeding. During this time, you can pump your breasts so you can keep producing breast milk and you can start nursing again once the condition has cleared.

If the amount of bilirubin is high, your baby may be readmitted to the hospital for treatment. Once the bilirubin level drops and the treatment is stopped, it is unlikely that treatment for jaundice will need to be restarted.

Reviewed by: Larissa Hirsch, MD
Date reviewed: June 2008
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby airwalk » June 7th, 2008, 9:48 pm

CONGRATULATIONS...Missy, Bristol, Josh & Travis...what a wonderful gift!

My Isabelle was in the hospital for almost 6 weeks so I know how stressful not being able to care for her is..but do talk to her because she still hears all of you and smells you.

What a fun adventure is beginning.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » June 8th, 2008, 12:38 am

Still not keeping anything down. The pediatrician is coming back tomorrow at 12:00. Josh said that if she is not keeping it down by tomorrow night that is when it might get worrisome. :( I don't know what to do. I have been thinking all night and searching on line. I might have to butt in and tell Josh he needs to send her to Atlanta. Another thing that worries me is her mouth is blue around her lips. The nurse called it something that I can't pronounce more less even try to spell. Sorry for not so good news and me keep posting it but I don't know what else to do. :?
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Jenn » June 8th, 2008, 12:50 am

:hug3: Stay strong hon, I'm sure she's in good hands. Please feel free to post whatever you need to, we're here to listen.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » June 8th, 2008, 12:58 am

Awww, our poor little peanut will be home soon enough Missy. (((hugs))) I am sorry you aren't getting much sleep & that she is having problems. My niece was SO sick when she was little due to allergies to just about everything, although she was a little older than McKinklee. At one point they had her on liquid jello made with gatoraide. She too did fine on goats milk but it took a while for them to find anything at all she could tolerate. Remember to breathe. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby amazincc » June 8th, 2008, 7:21 am

madremissy wrote: Another thing that worries me is her mouth is blue around her lips. The nurse called it something that I can't pronounce more less even try to spell.

Cyanosis???
"Newborns and young infants can normally have acrocyanosis, with a bluish discoloration of their lips, hands and/or feet. This is called peripheral cyanosis and usually goes away as a child's circulatory system matures."

Is she breathing on her own? Are her lungs okay? She is probably in distress, which sometimes causes breathing problems and lack of sufficient oxygen to circulate through the body.
Poor little girl - she is having a rough start. :sad2:
Good thoughts and lots of hugs coming your way. Hang in there! :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » June 8th, 2008, 9:37 am

QUICK UPDATE:

The milk is flowing. She just needed her mommas milk. she is keeping it down. :highfive: Keep fingers crossed that she will continue this morning to improve. They are discharging Bristol as a patient but like Travis said it is there best interest to keeep the "cow in the barn". She will still have a room and they will feed her under the baby's name. I will update more in a little while. :woowoo: :woowoo:
madremissy

Postby amazincc » June 8th, 2008, 9:41 am

AWESOME!!! :dance:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » June 8th, 2008, 2:14 pm

COME ON MCKINLEE!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! :)

gayrghts wrote:Breast milk and jaundice....

I think that is what I said, only A LOT shorter. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » June 8th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Yay McKinlee...keep strong little one, you are worrying your Grandma
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » June 8th, 2008, 4:25 pm

She just wanted her mommy

The more time they let Bristol spend with her the better she is getting. So they are letting her stay in there and hold her as long a necessary. She is more content in her arms than anywhere else. Her blood work is coming back better. Still a little off. She is still a little blue around her lips. But she is making great progress. Bristol said that if they would put a cot in the nursery she would sleep in there. :) Here are some photos of today. Mama and I got to sit in there with her. She ate 2ozs of breast milk, burbed very well, and kept it all down.

madremissy

Postby iluvk9 » June 8th, 2008, 4:29 pm

That is WONDERFUL NEWS!!!
Oh, and did I say how ADORABLE she is???????
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » June 8th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Look at that precious face! Keep getting better little one!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Asta » June 9th, 2008, 4:57 am

Fantastic news!!! Just what i wanted to read first thing in the morning :D She is just gorgeous and Bristol looks fab too! Yay for great updates, keep them coming :dance:

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby CinderDee » June 9th, 2008, 12:01 pm

Oooh, she is just beautiful, Missy! I'm glad she's feeling better!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » June 9th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Any definite time as to when she is coming home?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » June 9th, 2008, 5:34 pm

Well, my question was just answered!!!

GUESS WHO IS HOME?!?!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » June 9th, 2008, 5:55 pm

YAY!!! :helloClap:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » June 9th, 2008, 7:16 pm

YAY! I got that text earlier! Missy, I am so happy for you and your family... :dance: :dance: :dance:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

PreviousNext