now entering the ring....

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby mnp13 » March 3rd, 2006, 10:49 pm

odnarb wrote:Yo Michelle, got a pedigree on that beast?

when Chris finishes defrosting from last weekend he's going to send it to me.

Therese:
I have no idea what the heck you are talking about.

I just called the local dog training club, where Ruby took agility classes and she and Connor took the CGC/TDI class. they have a beginner conformation class running next month that we are going to sign up for. It's an 8 week class, but unfortunately we can only go to the first 4 weeks. Luckily I know the head OB trainer for the club and she is letting us take a half class. She loved Connor and Ruby so that helped!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » March 4th, 2006, 12:16 am

Romanwild wrote:George Alstons book "The winning edge"

I went to Borders to get it, they told me that it's out of print
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 4th, 2006, 12:34 am

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » March 4th, 2006, 12:43 am

Thanks!

I just ordered it!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ellie@ny » March 4th, 2006, 11:01 am

"I guess the info I got was incorrect about the AKC but I did watch the Westminster show online this year and last. They were 99% fawn."
Oh yeah all the time!!!!But that doesn't mean your dog can't be better ?They not perfect either! I could post pictures,and you would understand what am I talking about....But I can't cause maybe one of them will be a new member here tomorrow:) You have to belive in your dog,or you never gonna win!
:rock:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Romanwild » March 4th, 2006, 11:47 am

I do believe in him...in the UKC. It's a moot point anyway. I'm not AKC registered. :|

I might want to try a ADBA show for fun. I would like to see how ripped I could get him. :D
Romanwild
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » March 4th, 2006, 12:23 pm

Do you have a stacked pic of him? :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 4th, 2006, 12:43 pm

mnp13 wrote:Therese:
I have no idea what the heck you are talking about.

LOL Sorry.

I figured you had some background. oooops I'll give more explanation...

It is really best to go to the classes which are a mock show pretty much. Treat every training session like the real deal and make it fun for the dog. A dog that isn't having fun will not perform at his bets IMO.

Easiest way to learn is to check out http://www.apbtconformation.com (yes it is back up) and also start attending shows and ask questions. Most people are very willing to help newbies.

Stacking is the way the dog naturally stands or is positioned in a particular way to show off the structure. It is a big help just first off teaching the dog a stand stay because it is pretty much the same thing

Here is a picture of Patcheeno 'Free Stacked' at a show in MD
meaning I didn't touch him or position him that was naturally how he stacked himself

Practice the gait..... you have to move the dog at a steady speed so that the movement is shown off at it's best make sure not to let the dog run, sidewind or pace

These are different directions a judge may give you in the ring and they are also the most common ones the judges use in UKC any way

a down and back ( just moving straight down and back in a line. It helps to focus on a spot to help you move the dog straight .... stop at about 3 feet from the judge and have the dog free stack)

diagonal ( move from the corner where the judge is looking at the dog across the the diagonal cornaer and back again. you'll free stack about 3 feet from the judge)

Triangle
(go stright down , across to the corner than diag. back to the judge and again you'll free stack about 3 feet from the judge)

Some judges in UKC allow bait some don't but you can always train with it and then fake the dog out in the ring if it isn't allowed

Wiggle butt Samurai being examined by the judge in the ring the weekend he got his CH title. The judge will go over the whole body and often push on the dog and sometimes may reposition them a little as well. They check the bite as well
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby odnarb » March 4th, 2006, 10:29 pm

mnp13 wrote:
odnarb wrote:Yo Michelle, got a pedigree on that beast?

when Chris finishes defrosting from last weekend he's going to send it to me.

I've got it! It finally clicked with me who Riggs is, so I know his pedigree. Here are a couple of his siblings. The pedigree is listed on both pages.

http://www.geocities.com/bestfriendkennel/sierra.html

http://tradewindkennels.com/tonka.html
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 4th, 2006, 10:40 pm

COOL!!!!

thanks!

Yup, those are his siblings. Good looking bunch, huh?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby odnarb » March 5th, 2006, 2:53 am

mnp13 wrote:COOL!!!!

thanks!

Yup, those are his siblings. Good looking bunch, huh?

I'd like to see more pics of Riggs. But what I can see, I like him best of the three.

Check this out. Anybody look familiar?

http://www.geocities.com/tacomastaffs/pups.html
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 5th, 2006, 8:49 am

holy cow aimee how did you figure out who riggs is??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 5th, 2006, 9:15 am

That's Riggs, second from the left.

Seriously Aimee, how did you figure it out? I didn't even know anything more than his parent's names, and I didn't post them!

You should be a private investigator!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Karen » March 5th, 2006, 9:39 am

Maryellen wrote:holy cow aimee how did you figure out who riggs is??

Because I have all Riggs' and the rest of the litter's baby pictures that's how. I remember when Chris and Harold had that litter.

Michelle you aren't going to breed him are you?
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby Chris Fraize » March 5th, 2006, 10:18 am

I am curious why you would ask a question like that? :| The dog has passed all his health checks and is very close to titles in conformation and weight pull. He will (Most likely) title in personal protection sports and obedience. :D

Michelle has had Riggs less than a week and you are asking (in a backhanded way) about breeding. Please forgive me if I am wrong but it seems like you are looking for a conflict. :| I could be wrong and I often am! 8)

Why don't we all wait to se how Michelle and Riggs do together in training (I am sure they will be fine) and jump off the breeding bridge when and if she ever decides too breed him. :o

Riggs is ALOT of dog and the reason I gave him to Michelle was so she would have a better understanding of behavior, training and interspecies communication. I have faith in Michelle and Riggs. It won’t be easy for either of them. However when it is all said and done, Riggs will be a better dog and Michelle will be a better trainer!

Again Karen, forgive me if I am wrong. If I have misjudged your question, could you elaborate on it?

Safe training,
Chris Fraize
Chris Fraize
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Romanwild » March 5th, 2006, 10:58 am

I am sure that Michelle will respond but I can say that Michelle, if she was to breed him, would have the highest of standards when doing so.

Please note:In order to list your website or to put yourself out as a breeder on this forum you must abide by the Pit Bull Owners Code of Ethics for breeders.

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=48 :)
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Karen » March 5th, 2006, 12:19 pm

Chris Fraize wrote:I am curious why you would ask a question like that? :| The dog has passed all his health checks and is very close to titles in conformation and weight pull. He will (Most likely) title in personal protection sports and obedience. :D

Michelle has had Riggs less than a week and you are asking (in a backhanded way) about breeding. Please forgive me if I am wrong but it seems like you are looking for a conflict. :| I could be wrong and I often am! 8)

Why don't we all wait to se how Michelle and Riggs do together in training (I am sure they will be fine) and jump off the breeding bridge when and if she ever decides too breed him. :o

Riggs is ALOT of dog and the reason I gave him to Michelle was so she would have a better understanding of behavior, training and interspecies communication. I have faith in Michelle and Riggs. It won’t be easy for either of them. However when it is all said and done, Riggs will be a better dog and Michelle will be a better trainer!

Again Karen, forgive me if I am wrong. If I have misjudged your question, could you elaborate on it?

Safe training,
Chris Fraize

Confrontation? Not really, just curiosity.

Because if she got the dog as a sports prospect and working dog fine. As a breeding dog? Not fine. Are you forgetting Tonka's heart issues? That stuff tends to hide very well and then all of a sudden pop up as the dog gets older. Working prospect great, breeding prospect, not so great. When you say he passed all his health tests Chris did you have his heart dopplered? If not then you really don't know if he has issues. There is a lot more to breeding than just deciding this dog woiuld make a fair match for that.

As I said good working/training partner but an iffy breeding prospect IMO. That and $2 will get you a cup of coffee.
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 5th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Karen wrote:Michelle you aren't going to breed him are you?

Not tomorrow, no.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » March 5th, 2006, 3:55 pm

Here are some pictures from today

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1332
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby odnarb » March 5th, 2006, 4:14 pm

Chris Fraize wrote:Why don't we all wait to se how Michelle and Riggs do together in training (I am sure they will be fine) and jump off the breeding bridge when and if she ever decides too breed him. :o

Of course we would want to see how he turns out first. However, when you breed a dog, you aren't just breeding to that dog, you are breeding to that dog's pedigree as well. That is something that you really need to keep in mind before you breed a dog.

In this case, we have a dog with a littermate with two sperate heart defects. The top side of his pedigree is Harold Card's severely inbred Tacoma stuff, the bottom side is AKC Sierra show dogs. An extremely strange outcross choice, IMO.

Then the question is, where would you take a dog with a pedigree like that? Back into Card's inbred Tacoma dogs? What if the heart defects come from that side? We wouldn't know, because I doubt he owns a dog with a single health test. Do we want to take that chance and breed a litter with a lifespan of 2 years or less? Do we take him to the Sierra side, a line not known for having any working ability or drive? Or do we do another bizzare outcross, and crapshoot that with the inconsistancy in the litter, that MAYBE you will get a workable pup?

There is a hell of a lot more to breeding than tossing together two dogs that you think are nice, and that isn't something that everybody thinks about first.
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
odnarb
Loyally Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Conformation