Flyball class today...long post.

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby tiva » February 10th, 2010, 10:09 pm

Liz, have you tried canicross or scootering with Inara yet? They're running sports, really, with a little pulling tossed in for fun (unlike weightpull, which I remember Inara doesn't like). They're great ways for Vanya to burn up some energy and also have a fun job to do. Plus they let me say: "he's SUPPOSED to pull on his leash!" With all the snow you've been getting, you could also take up kicksledding with Inara.

Tracking is also a good solo sport for those of us with reactive dogs. Nosework uses their brains and their bodies.
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 10th, 2010, 10:36 pm

I don't know if I could do tracking - it just seems so godawful boring! (sorry to those who enjoy it!)

We have not tried the Canicross as my body doesn't believe in jogging, nor have we tried the scootering or kicksledding. She might enjoy them but I don't have the cashola right now to buy the equipment. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby StalkerBlueDog » February 12th, 2010, 10:55 am

I've seen it go both ways for people with reactive and/or DA dogs and flyball..

Some it is just way better to do the right thing and not put your dog at risk.. if you have a reactive I agree with Erin.. better to not play the game.

Some DA dogs though do do just fine with flyball because they're So focused on the job/game they tune out everything else around them like Erin said.

my brother's 9 year old rottie has some DA issues. He started playing flyball just for fun at home with my sister's dogs and he loved it.. she brought him in and started doing some test runs during practice. He was so focused on the game during practice that a team dog plowed into him during a run and he just kept going.. So she started running him as a veteran and he loves it. He's had several dogs of various breeds run into him/into his lane during runs and he just keeps trucking.. he's not the fastest runner but he's definatly one of the most reliable on the team. (which isn't saying much I guess since the team as a whole is pretty unreliable but that's a whole other issue in and of itself. )

If you had told us or his breeder when he was younger that we'd be running him in flyball we would have told you you were crazy.. but we were able to find something he just loves to do that he can turn his focus to instead of other dogs. He doesn't get to run much now, he is pretty stiff and 9 is quite old for his lines but he gets tossed into a vet team from time to time and he looks like a puppy again for at least one run. :D
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
"DAWN" U-CH Canami's Age of Aquarius CD RE AX OAJ NF CGC/TDI (1/3 AXJ, 1/5 U-GRCH, MACH pt'd)
"KAYLEE" U-CH Canami's Protector of Serenity (AKC major Pt'd)
"LEIA" Sorella's Rebel Princess (UKC pt'd)
"LUKE"Canami Sorella's A New Hope RN
StalkerBlueDog
My dog can kick your sheep's ass

Postby tiva » February 12th, 2010, 11:53 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote: We have not tried the Canicross as my body doesn't believe in jogging

You can do canicross at any speed you like--a fast walk, a run, some of each; on foot, on roller blades, on skis, on scooter, on a sled, whatever. It simply harness some of that great pulling energy and turns it into a joy rather than a problem.

And hey, tracking is fun! We don't follow the standard official protocols, since Vanya is not going to be a competition dog. We just go out into the fields, set tracks, and do it. In the snow, we set drag-tracks (I first snowshoe a number of intersecting tracks, and then I go back and drag a hunk of salmon along one complex pattern. Vanya then tracks the salmon-smell, not my own smell. We do this because without a drag-track, he's not really tracking: he just follows the obvious snowshoe trails. Clear as mud, huh? It's good exercise for both of us, and it's not boring at all, because we're both zooming along as fast as we can--Vanya is trying for a run with his nose buried in the snow, and I'm trying to keep him to a pace that I can manage for myself.)
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » February 12th, 2010, 11:55 am

Yup...but for the most part, I don't recommend DA or Dog reactive dogs to play...it's just so much more work for owners and team members...because it IS a team sport...so everyone else is part of the game.

The pit bull I mentioned on our team that was DA...was not trained by me, it was already trained when it joined our team. I would not allow a dog that was DA in our training classes...it's just too hard to deal with.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby fenella » February 18th, 2010, 11:45 pm

I can sympathize. Murphy is reactive, and I worry about him on the lanes sometimes. He is scared of a lot, but he has become more confident with flyball. He's been crossed on before...no issue. He has crossed before. So far, he is so focused on his job that he doesn't get too concerned with the other dogs.
I can also sympathize with the crazy part...murphy is 2 and a half. He just had a practice like that. CRAZY dog. :crazy2: I had to put him in time-out for running around the room like a maniac and not listening to me. :nono:
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Sports