First hidden sleeve work

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby mnp13 » August 18th, 2006, 11:06 pm

Today I was at the "open field" for the PSA trial that is this weekend. One of the decoys is someone I have met before and comes highly recommended so I asked him if he would try the car jacking with Riggs.

The car jacking senario is done in the trial with a hidden sleeve and a jug of rocks or a gun (depending on the level you are in) for distraction. We had a regular Schutzhund sleeve next to the truck in case we needed it to show him that he could bite from the car. In the trial the dog is on the passenger side, but I kept Riggs on the driver's side so he would work "over" me. I wanted more control and to be in reach of him for encouragement and to get him going if necessary.

It wasn't necessary.

The decoy approached the car and began civil work. Riggs lit right up, barking and pulling to get out the window. This time I didn't get nipped because I didn't distract him from the decoy like I did at the DSO. At one point he lunged, and since my hands didn't move from my belt, the leash didn't move so his butt went half way out the window and he ended up with his body half in and half out of the car. I grabbed his tail at the base and pulled him back in. Normally he hates it when I grab his tail, but this time he didn't even notice.

When the decoy swung his arm in for the bite Riggs grabbed on with no hesitation. Full mouth grip on contact with no munging or re-grip. They "fought" and then I outed him (with some assistance from the collar, but we're working on that).

We did it a second time and this time we were unable to get Riggs to bark. The decoy worked very hard, but we just weren't getting any noise. He did get the clatter stick too close to the window and Riggs tried to take it from him. He finally made a little squeeky bark and got the bite and piled in harder this time.

He did GREAT. He amazes me every time I challenge him. He tries very hard to figure out what I want, but at the same time, he challenges me to be clear with what I want and to guide him. Let's just say he's good at pointing out handler error!!

The only "problem" is my legs and hands are a mess from his feet and nails. Oh well, small price to pay!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » August 18th, 2006, 11:10 pm

Good boy Riggs!! I think you need to come to my house for a while. I have a "decoy" you can work on any time you want.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » August 18th, 2006, 11:34 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Good boy Riggs!! I think you need to come to my house for a while. I have a "decoy" you can work on any time you want.

If he wants to try and car jack me I'm sure Riggs will "play" lol
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » August 19th, 2006, 12:11 am

Michelle - why the hell don't you put something on your lap to protect your legs? Chaps or a piece of 5 oz. or greater leather would work.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Purple » August 19th, 2006, 6:38 am

Michelle in leather chaps...ohh, baby, I want a pic of that!

Nice work with Riggs, it seems you two are becoming quite the team!
Purple
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » August 19th, 2006, 7:38 am

Yay Riggs!!!! Good boy protecting your momma.

And I would like to put in my vote for chaps also. With fringe on the sides.
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » August 19th, 2006, 2:29 pm

With NO pants on underneath like they wear in the gay bars here. You also will need losts of piercings with chains running through them. No shirt & a really stupid hat.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » August 19th, 2006, 5:08 pm

ahhhh....in a few hours you went from "no sleeve work" to doing sleeve work. :?

and jollee?????????

You're going to have to fill me in on this situation. lol
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 19th, 2006, 7:11 pm

Normally the car jacking is done out the passenger side window, but I wanted him working over me so that I could help him if necessary. I won't be doing that again!!!

I actually have a set of black leather chaps for horseback riding (without fringe) but I think I'll just avoid getting clawed up in the future.

Charles - it was to see how the senario would go. Today we worked on legs, there was a Ring decoy at the trial who took some time to work with us for a little while.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » August 19th, 2006, 10:50 pm

yay riggs :)
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigBadBite » August 20th, 2006, 12:11 am

What a good job!! Sounds like he did just great!! :P :greenWave:
kellie
BigBadBite
Just Whelped

Postby Big_Ant » August 21st, 2006, 12:43 pm

Michelle,
What steps are you taking to work on Riggs being more vocal?

That was one of the main problems that I had with Weda. She was totally into Sch., except that she completely understood it was a game, so she made no sounds!

I've not been able to find any methods for getting a non-vocal dog to be more vocal in Sch Training. She's very vocal in other situations, but just not in Sch.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby DemoDick » August 21st, 2006, 10:13 pm

That was one of the main problems that I had with Weda. She was totally into Sch., except that she completely understood it was a game, so she made no sounds!

Then she needs to learn that barking is part of the game! No barks, no bite...Chris Fraize told me about a really cool way to teach the bark and hold to dogs that don't like to bark...

I've not been able to find any methods for getting a non-vocal dog to be more vocal in Sch Training. She's very vocal in other situations, but just not in Sch.

...and here it is. The dog needs to know the "speak" command first. When it knows that, you can (don't laugh!) have the helper give the speak command and reward with food while in the blind. Then the dog gets a sleeve bite. Pretty soon the dog will offer the barks to get the bite. Most Schutzhund trainers will tell you that you're off your rocker but I think that's because it's an "outside the box" method. The main thing Chris mentioned was the criticism that this method doesn't have any real aggression (in the context of bitework), but that can be added later. You'd need to contact him for more details.

Demo Dick
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Patch O' Pits » November 7th, 2006, 5:17 pm

Sounds like a natural! COOL!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Big_Ant » November 7th, 2006, 5:22 pm

On 11/07/2006 1:17 PM, Patch O' Pits wrote:Sounds like a natural! COOL!

Hey Therese, is this "RESURRECT OLD THREADS DAY"???

:D How are them pups? Has mine been shipped yet? I've got a kennel ready when you are!!!

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Return to Sports