drag wght

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby BigBadBite » August 9th, 2006, 9:31 pm

hello I am starting some drag wght.pull on my little malinois to build his front leg muscles and conditioning I put him in a harness and hook it to a tire which seems quite heavy to me.He does pull it we are on a dirt road but with momentum the tire will swing up when he come to a stop or slows down after a sprint I am afraid we are going to get hurt.Should I make the line longer would this help Kellie
kellie
BigBadBite
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » August 9th, 2006, 9:51 pm

I have no idea but I DO know you need to post pictures of him!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » August 9th, 2006, 9:58 pm

how old is your dog?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigBadBite » August 9th, 2006, 10:06 pm

HI my little COle is 3.5yrs.old and wghs all of 58lbs. competion wght.He is all muscle I wish I had a picture to post.:He also loves to swim and looks like he is running on water.My friend had posted pictures of him flying out over the water. Her neighbors all think he walks on water.He runs anywhere from 2-5miles aday,does obed.climbs the palisade wall at 2.3meters,jumps the hurdle at 48inches,long jump 13ft.and does bite work several times a week now that my husband is helping with the decoy work.So he is in excellent shape but the wght.pull i think would give him a little edge in his attacks and on the palisade.
kellie
BigBadBite
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » August 9th, 2006, 10:14 pm

My 43 pound Pit Bull pulls a tire with no problems at all, except his own lack of obedience. He pulled over 800 pounds training in Enfield (though he didn't do that in compitition)

He should be fine.

Rob told me to do sets of down and back to get Riggs used to pulling when I turned and walked away. It got him into the habit of walking along with me. He'll have to tell you if that is applicable to what you are doing with your dog.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » August 10th, 2006, 2:26 pm

What kind of harness are you using?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Big_Ant » August 10th, 2006, 6:45 pm

mnp13 wrote:My 43 pound Pit Bull pulls a tire with no problems at all, except his own lack of obedience. He pulled over 800 pounds training in Enfield (though he didn't do that in compitition)

He should be fine.

Rob told me to do sets of down and back to get Riggs used to pulling when I turned and walked away. It got him into the habit of walking along with me. He'll have to tell you if that is applicable to what you are doing with your dog.

I don't think they are concerned with the actual idea of pulling. To me it sounds like they have the tire on a short line, and when the dog is pulling, and gets up on the momentum and then stops, she is afraid that the tire is going to bounce into him and injure him.

My suggestion would be to get a weight sled, which would be much safer if he's getting that much momentum. You could probably extend the line, but it might be safer to just get the sled.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Leslie H » August 10th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Your dog should be moving at a walk when doing drag weights. The weight should be moved at a steady, even pace, and moving slowly allows the weight to provide adequate resistance.
If you're doing drag weights only, this shouldn't occur, but beware of adding bulky muscle, I think it would be counterproductive on the palisade (though it would help flattening the decoy). It sounds like you are providing your dog w/a wonderful life.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby BigBadBite » August 11th, 2006, 12:28 pm

thanks all for the posts Kellie
kellie
BigBadBite
Just Whelped

Postby Takuma » August 12th, 2006, 11:52 am

As mentioned above, you should be doing this at a very slow even pace. It sounds like if the tire has enough momentum to slide up and touch the dog, you need to slow him down. This should be a slow steady walk. You may want to legnthen the line as well. It sounds like you are doing an excellent job with your boy! Remember to make sure he is using proper body mechanics. Keep him slow and steady, try to get him to keep his head down when pulling.
Takuma
Just Whelped

Postby grizzly » August 12th, 2006, 11:35 pm

2-3 ft lead chain out to your tire
there are two types of drag-light weight & heavy weight
light weight the weight should be heavy enough so that your dog gets tired at the end of a mile or two.
heavy weight the weight should be heavy enough so that the dog can only get it 30-50 ft

you want it heavy enough so that at the end the dog really has to work for it but not soo heavy that the dog stops every 10-20ft.

if your dog is doing sprints than the weight is way too low

a good test is to max out at short distance-start light and pull 20 ft
turn around and add 10 lbs and pull back 20 ft . keep up the back&forths adding weight each time and when the dog can't pull it any more he's maxed out

lets say your dog pulls 100 lbs 20ft on a drag for a max
this would be my heavyweight workout:

i would have the dog pull (drag)50lbs - 20ft -4times
70lbs-20ft-4times
80lbs-20ft-4times
90lbs-20ft-2times
50lbs-20ft-4times
i would do this workout every other day with a lightweight 50lbs for one mile workout on the off days every 4-5 day give a day off without any workout.

it's a simple formula:
50%max-x4
70%max-x4
80%max-x4
90%max-x2
50%max -x4 (cooldown)
this works for drag or cart workouts
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Sports