Crosspost: The Great APBT

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby Nelson » June 12th, 2006, 12:04 am

A good friend of mine talked to me about an article I wrote for Dog Sports Magazine decades ago. The article was about the APBT's natural abilities and how it compares to other working breeds. I stated that 90% of our dogs can do the work (get titles in obedience, agility & bitework). It never stopped surprising me the amount of PB who'd come to our club and be able to shine in training. To me it was so refreshing since at that time the popular breed was the Rotty. And having all of the traditional shepherd breeds around with their owners wanting PP training for them gave us a huge perspective on just how damn good our breed is, compared to the others.

Just think about it. How many PB, who aren't bred for sports, can do the work and then compare them to the percentage of working dogs who ARE BRED for sports that can't do the work. It seems like every other week we see posts of litters of working line traditional working breeds. Yet time keeps going by and the majority of top or high level competition dogs don't ever seem to be from these "extraordinary working bred litters", as their breeders try to promote them.

This personal opinion of mine didn't go too well with another contributing editor who wrote on the Bouvier section. Things got so heated up between us that, (young and naive as I was) I eventually challenged him. I said I'd take my dog and he'd bring his dog and I'll let him decoy my dog any way he wanted to prove that what I said about the APBT is true. I only had 1 request. That I'd do the same thing to his dog that he did to mine. Of course he never accepted. And still today I strongly feel that the best, toughest, hardest and worthiest dogs are bred right here in the great US of A. and that is the APBT. Next article we'll talk about the raising and training of a working APBT.
Nelson Rodriguez

"Ah grasshopper, how is it that you cannot?" Master Po
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/WorkingPitBulls/
Nelson
Just Whelped

Postby Karen » June 12th, 2006, 9:43 am

Nelson let me guess who the Bouvier Author was.....................
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby DemoDick » June 15th, 2006, 7:57 pm

Nelson knows his stuff. And he looks damn good in bite pants. :)

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Return to Sports