Variable Surface Tracking

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby maberi » June 1st, 2008, 2:55 pm

Has anyone here entered a VST test? After watching dog after dog fail today, I'm amazed any dog passes this test. Most dogs failed at the first turn and a few even managed to fail at the start. My first dog was a german shepherd search and rescue dog and they managed to fail my track before the first turn. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to wait years to actually get your name drawn for one of these tests, driving over 10 hours for the test, paying an entry fee of $100 and then failing within the first few minutes of the test :|
Look beyond what your own eyes see
User avatar
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle
 
Posts: 2781
Location: rochester, ny

Postby katiek0417 » June 1st, 2008, 3:07 pm

I have not entered, but I have trained Sacha in SAR, and she (at one time) was able to do any surface (with exact turns) even water...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby maberi » June 1st, 2008, 3:17 pm

It just totally amazed me how these highly experienced search and rescue dogs could fail a test so quickly. One of the judges who has been judging for over 10 yrs has never had anyone pass the test (only a little over 100 dogs have passed the test in the last 10 years).
Look beyond what your own eyes see
User avatar
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle
 
Posts: 2781
Location: rochester, ny

Postby katiek0417 » June 1st, 2008, 3:20 pm

maberi wrote:It just totally amazed me how these highly experienced search and rescue dogs could fail a test so quickly. One of the judges who has been judging for over 10 yrs has never had anyone pass the test (only a little over 100 dogs have passed the test in the last 10 years).


It's very tough, and I'm surprised that it's kept around when it's that tough...I mean, I understand why it's there...

However, I also recognize that SAR dogs don't necessarily need to do turn by turn tracking...Sacha often combined air scenting with footstep tracking...also, in SAR sometimes it's a matter of life and death, where time is of the essence...it takes much longer to get from A to B using a 90 degree angle compared to a diagonal...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby maberi » June 1st, 2008, 3:36 pm

Have you guys done any Schutzhund tracking?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
User avatar
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle
 
Posts: 2781
Location: rochester, ny

Postby katiek0417 » June 1st, 2008, 3:37 pm

maberi wrote:Have you guys done any Schutzhund tracking?


I've done it with Sacha a bit...but mostly with Nisha...and I've started Cy on it...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby iluvk9 » June 1st, 2008, 3:45 pm

What type of surfaces do they use and how is the test given?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!
 
Posts: 14900
Location: New York

Postby katiek0417 » June 1st, 2008, 3:47 pm

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/clubs/tracking.htm

The tracks can be on gravel, dirt, sand, blacktop, concrete...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby iluvk9 » June 1st, 2008, 3:52 pm

Do you think Bloodhounds are better at it?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!
 
Posts: 14900
Location: New York

Postby katiek0417 » June 1st, 2008, 3:57 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Do you think Bloodhounds are better at it?


I don't know...I'd like to see a breakdown of the breeds who have passed the test...I know you can teach most any breed to track...depending on how hard you work at it...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby maberi » June 1st, 2008, 6:38 pm

Agreed, I have looked high and far for a breakdown like this but haven't been able to find one. The head judge was Ed Presnall who has titled in VST 5 and seems to specialize in field spaniels (not what you would initially think of as the ultimate tracking dog).

After watching today I honestly think it mostly lies in the hands of the handler and not so much the dog. So many people today second guessed their dogs and failed because of it.


katiek0417 wrote:
iluvk9 wrote:Do you think Bloodhounds are better at it?


I don't know...I'd like to see a breakdown of the breeds who have passed the test...I know you can teach most any breed to track...depending on how hard you work at it...
Look beyond what your own eyes see
User avatar
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle
 
Posts: 2781
Location: rochester, ny

Postby katiek0417 » June 1st, 2008, 7:06 pm

maberi wrote:Agreed, I have looked high and far for a breakdown like this but haven't been able to find one. The head judge was Ed Presnall who has titled in VST 5 and seems to specialize in field spaniels (not what you would initially think of as the ultimate tracking dog).

After watching today I honestly think it mostly lies in the hands of the handler and not so much the dog. So many people today second guessed their dogs and failed because of it.


Interesting you say this...during training, I was often told to trust my dog...they give very subtle signs in tracking about which way they will turn, etc...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby maberi » June 1st, 2008, 7:13 pm

Yeah, I spent quite a bit of time standing next to the judges and it was AMAZING how quickly Ed could pick up on each dogs tracking style and immediately indentify when they were giving cues as to when they lost and found the track. I think the hardest part of tracking is learning to read your dog
Look beyond what your own eyes see
User avatar
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle
 
Posts: 2781
Location: rochester, ny

Postby katiek0417 » June 1st, 2008, 7:25 pm

maberi wrote:Yeah, I spent quite a bit of time standing next to the judges and it was AMAZING how quickly Ed could pick up on each dogs tracking style and immediately indentify when they were giving cues as to when they lost and found the track. I think the hardest part of tracking is learning to read your dog


And learning to trust that your dog knows where to go...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD


Return to Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]

cron