Nationals!!!!

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby luvmypitties » October 19th, 2007, 6:44 am

Send some good thoughts to New York where Katrina and Greg will be competing with their dogs! They are on their way!!!

good luck!! And hopefully TJ will be a good boy!!!!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » October 19th, 2007, 7:24 am

Lots of good thoughts to Katrina, Greg, and their friend Dom who are all going to compete and kick butt!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 19th, 2007, 4:46 pm

:rock:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby katiek0417 » October 20th, 2007, 5:27 pm

Well, here's my Saturday Update:

Greg went in with Asja and Jue in the Level 2's. He looked awesome. As of right now, he holds both first and second place...but tomorrow is a new day, and bitework will happen.

Alyssa, Dom looked FANTASTIC. He and Jack looked really good in the Level 1's.

However, I didn't fare so well. TJ came out and bit within the first few seconds!!! We'll be doing bitework tomorrow (this is his retirement). I know he won't take first place now...but I can hope that he can end his run on a good note...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmypitties » October 20th, 2007, 5:41 pm

Wow congrats to Greg, my best friend Jue and little Asja!

Poor TJ, he just likes to bite too much!! Maybe they can change the rules, lol, and make biting in obedience a must!
Tina

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » October 20th, 2007, 6:49 pm

Congrats to Greg and Dom!

And you know, TJ is just taking his retirement very seriously . . . he only wants to do the fun stuff ;)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Patch O' Pits » October 20th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Congrats and good luck to everyone who is going on Sunday
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby gayrghts » October 20th, 2007, 7:34 pm

On October 20 2007, 4:27 PM, katiek0417 wrote:Well, here's my Saturday Update:

Greg went in with Asja and Jue in the Level 2's. He looked awesome. As of right now, he holds both first and second place...but tomorrow is a new day, and bitework will happen.

Alyssa, Dom looked FANTASTIC. He and Jack looked really good in the Level 1's.

However, I didn't fare so well. TJ came out and bit within the first few seconds!!! We'll be doing bitework tomorrow (this is his retirement). I know he won't take first place now...but I can hope that he can end his run on a good note...

Hmmm what did he bite during obedience?
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby luvmypitties » October 20th, 2007, 8:00 pm

In the obedience part they have a person in a decoy suit as a distraction, and TJ bit the decoy. He is in a protective suit so he didnt bite a person. and well thats not really allowed in the obedience part of the trial.
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby gayrghts » October 20th, 2007, 8:16 pm

On October 20 2007, 7:00 PM, luvmypitties wrote:In the obedience part they have a person in a decoy suit as a distraction, and TJ bit the decoy. He is in a protective suit so he didnt bite a person. and well thats not really allowed in the obedience part of the trial.

Ahhh ok so he saw someone in a decoy/bite suit.... so he got excited and bit?

poor boy.....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » October 21st, 2007, 2:35 pm

Congrats to all!
Any news from today? :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby luvmypitties » October 21st, 2007, 4:44 pm

I havent heard anything yet! I am sure TJ did good today since he gets to do his favorite thing... BITE!!! I am sure Katrina will post later when they get results and such!
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » October 22nd, 2007, 11:15 am

On October 20 2007, 20:16, gayrghts wrote:
On October 20 2007, 7:00 PM, luvmypitties wrote:In the obedience part they have a person in a decoy suit as a distraction, and TJ bit the decoy. He is in a protective suit so he didnt bite a person. and well thats not really allowed in the obedience part of the trial.

poor boy.....

That would be it! Major bummer...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby gayrghts » October 22nd, 2007, 11:44 am

On October 22 2007, 10:15 AM, mnp13 wrote:
On October 20 2007, 20:16, gayrghts wrote:

poor boy.....

That would be it! Major bummer...

See.... with the obedience type work that i'm used to... there would never have been a guy in a decoy suit... but i've never showed in that type of competition... just local level obedience clubs....

so, i was a bit confused at first... thinking the dog is out doing heelling, and sitting, and long downs and recalls etc... and somehow during that he just out and bit.. ie the judge, or another handler or something... so i was rather confused....
Heather

- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby mnp13 » October 22nd, 2007, 12:11 pm

On October 22 2007, 11:44, gayrghts wrote:See.... with the obedience type work that i'm used to... there would never have been a guy in a decoy suit... but i've never showed in that type of competition... just local level obedience clubs....

so, i was a bit confused at first... thinking the dog is out doing heelling, and sitting, and long downs and recalls etc... and somehow during that he just out and bit.. ie the judge, or another handler or something... so i was rather confused....

Oh! lol yeah, that would be a big difference!

There is a video out there of the Utah PSA trial from a few years ago where the dog on the field went after the judge. The judge was wearing a heavy winter coat that looked a little too much like a bite jacket. oops!

Though a true PP dog will probably bite when directed to, suit or not, most dogs trained in bitework know that bite suits = bite work and sometimes that can lead to a bite at the wrong time in a trial! A completely reliable dog outside of a trial setting sometimes acts differently at a trial because of their stress and them reading the stress of their handler. They revert to what is the most comfortable / least stressful behavior. That can be doubly true for ring smart dogs.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby gayrghts » October 22nd, 2007, 12:14 pm

Do we have a post or thread that's just full of abreviations?

What's PSA

What's a PP dog?
Heather

- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby mnp13 » October 22nd, 2007, 1:46 pm

On October 22 2007, 12:14, gayrghts wrote:Do we have a post or thread that's just full of abreviations?

What's PSA

What's a PP dog?

PSA - Protection Sports Association, the sport Katrina and Greg compete in.

PP - personal protection - a PP dog is trained for protection work specifically. "Sport" dogs (PSA, Schutzhund, French Ring, etc) bite on the field, but not necessarily in a "real life" situation. Some will, some won't. Many sport dogs (not all) rely on the presence of bite work equipment to que them in that it's time to bite someone. There are some differences in training methods for sport and protection.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » October 22nd, 2007, 2:33 pm

Heather, in addition, I was showing in the highest level of PSA. In PSA, dogs are trained to bite decoys wearing bite suits. During bitework, there is heavy agitation...this includes whips, gunfire, sticks, getting in the dog's face, etc....

Dogs at lower levels have a very hard time with this agitation, so it is kept to a minimum (simply a decoy sitting in a chair who throws things at the dog during one part, and gunfire during heeling). In the higher levels, though, dogs are supposed to have more control. Once you get to the level 3's, you are to do all your obedience with decoys on the field, and HEAVY agitation. Anything goes in Level 3. There are few dogs who make it to that level...In fact, if you do a search, you can find a thread where I post videos of some PSA Level 3 obedience....

So, yes TJ bit on Saturday.

However, Sunday was a different day. TJ didn't do that well...but everyone complimented me on my handling skills. The first scenario was sending TJ into a guard on a decoy. A 2nd decoy came and attacked the dog (and the dog was supposed to bite that decoy), while the decoy TJ was originally guarding ran over to me. The decoy who ran over to me was supposed to attack me, and I was supposed to call TJ to my rescue. As he was running to me, the decoy stopped attacking, and I was supposed to down him. He was not allowed to bite the decoy attacking me. Well, I yelled to TJ to down, and he didn't...so, I jumped in front of the decoy (blocking him from TJ) and yelled "pfooey, auf." He dropped to the ground and looked at me in amazement!!! Everyone was cheering!!! Even the judge and steward were amazed. I had never used that type of handling before (I'll post video when I can).

Unfortunately, we didn't do so well on the other scenarios (TJ just wanted to bite). However, all in all, I kept my cool, and handled the scenarios very well (rather than being in a sheer panic and forgetting what to do).

On another note, Greg and Jue took 3rd place in the Level 2's. He and Asja took 2nd place while also earning the first leg to their level 2 title!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 22nd, 2007, 2:37 pm

That's great! I can't wait to see videos!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » October 22nd, 2007, 6:04 pm

Congrats to everyone! I can't wait to see the video :)

How'd Dom do?
SisMorphine

Next

Return to Sports