Pit Bulls in bite sport

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby amazincc » July 18th, 2007, 9:26 am

Wow... I had no idea... :o
I can't even imagine hitting my dog, or what it would do to him... doesn't the dog have trust issues w/the owner after-wards... or is the hitting done by someone else? It seems kind of barbaric... no offense to those who do that kind of "sport"... :(
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 18th, 2007, 10:31 am

It's the decoy hitting the dog with the stick...not the owner/handler...

This is one way to bring out defense in a dog. In a personal protection dog, you want a little bit of defense. In addition, in a personal protection dog, would you rather have a dog that stays in the fight no matter what or one that goes running the other way with something like a stick hit? If it ever occurs that your dog has to really defend you, it's not unlikely that the dog will be fought by the person...

It's not really barbaric. These dogs are trained for it. A good trainer isn't doing it to a young dog...only doing it to a dog that has been introduced properly to it.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 18th, 2007, 10:40 am

Aaahh... I don't know much about bite sport and personal protection training (as you might've noticed... :oops: ), but I know Mick would stand his ground if someone tried to attack me... I pity the fool! :D

But in Holland - that seems a little over the top... :(
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 18th, 2007, 11:26 am

On July 18 2007, 9:40 AM, amazincc wrote:Aaahh... I don't know much about bite sport and personal protection training (as you might've noticed... :oops: ), but I know Mick would stand his ground if someone tried to attack me... I pity the fool! :D

But in Holland - that seems a little over the top... :(

Also, keep in mind that the stick is a clatter stick (bamboo split so it makes noise), a padded stick, or, in Holland, a reed stick (the hits are not there to hurt the dog, just there for added noise and pressure)

KNPV is a test for police dogs....stands for (in English) the Royal Dutch Police Dog Association

This doesn't have the scenarios, but it does have the scoresheet...you can see the type of stuff the dog needs to do:

http://members.atlantic.net/~vcristel/knpv1score.htm

This gives more of a breakdown of what the things mean (notice the retrieve of a bullet casing and button):

http://www.cass.net/~w-dogs/knpv.htm

This is some video from the KNPV Nationals 2005 - I can promise you these dogs run rings around most dogs in the US:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcaAPhThnBM

Greg has tested CERTIFIED police dogs before...and when he brought "pressure" they blew their anal glands all over the place....and ran...

Defense has a fear component. A dog that can actually defend someone has to have the drive to stay in the fight, though, in the face of that fear...MOST dogs do not have that....Dogs can act all big and tough, but when it comes down to it, many dogs will take off...Greg's dog, Jue, for example...Greg has had to bring out his prey drive for sport, but he has a ton of defense. This means that Jue has a little bit of fear in him...however, this fear is dwarfed by his desire to fight...

Most dogs who are trained for sport are trained in prey. This is especially true for a young dog. As the dog gets older, you can bring out some of the defense in the dog, but few young dogs can handle a ton of pressure...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby brooksybrooks1 » July 18th, 2007, 3:34 pm

whoa, that knpv video was super impressive
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 18th, 2007, 3:45 pm

On July 18 2007, 2:34 PM, brooksybrooks1 wrote:whoa, that knpv video was super impressive

I know...I love watching the KNPV stuff!!!! If you get a chance, Ed Frawly (Leerburg) puts out a video of the KNPV Nationals...but it's the whole thing, and really impressive...it's kinda expensive, but SO worth it!!!!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 18th, 2007, 4:57 pm

Those are some bad-ass dogs AND decoys! Those decoys were freakin' smiling! Amazing.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby katiek0417 » July 18th, 2007, 6:14 pm

On July 18 2007, 3:57 PM, pitbullmamaliz wrote:Those are some bad-fanny dogs AND decoys! Those decoys were freakin' smiling! Amazing.

You'll find that decoys take great pride in catching dogs....whether they are decoying for KNPV or PSA....bruises and scars are a bragging point....not something to be upset about...

And if you're a handler...well, let's just say the people really into dog sports get excited when they're dog leaves a mark...this, for example, was done by my old man, TJ, at the decoy camp...:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby dogged » July 18th, 2007, 6:22 pm

I can't even imagine hitting my dog, or what it would do to him... doesn't the dog have trust issues w/the owner after-wards... or is the hitting done by someone else? It seems kind of barbaric... no offense to those who do that kind of "sport

The stick isn't there to hurt the dog, but to cause stress. We use padded sticks in the club and those things are pretty harmless as far as pain goes.

KNPV is WILD. :D
dogged
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby brooksybrooks1 » July 18th, 2007, 6:23 pm

that almost looks like a tattoo. holy sh*t! ouch! looks like that was probably a serious bite with a serious grip, not just a warning snap...
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby dogged » July 18th, 2007, 6:26 pm

OWWCH, Katie! :shock:

After training and trials, all the decoys sitting around and compare their battle scars. :D Plus, we have a bite/beer rule at the club. If the dog draws blood, the owner of the dog has to buy the decoy a beer. :D
dogged
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 18th, 2007, 6:44 pm

On July 18 2007, 5:23 PM, brooksybrooks1 wrote:that almost looks like a tattoo. holy sh*t! ouch! looks like that was probably a serious bite with a serious grip, not just a warning snap...

Ohhh, yeah, there's a tattoo under it!!! I've been told by several people that TJ is one of the hardest biting dogs they have encountered...that's saying something - he's 10 years old...

However, from what I've heard that all the dogs that were trained around the time that TJ was in his prime bit like that...not like the dogs now....most of those dogs, however, aren't alive (or they don't bite anymore b/c they're too old, etc).

OWWCH, Katie!

After training and trials, all the decoys sitting around and compare their battle scars. Plus, we have a bite/beer rule at the club. If the dog draws blood, the owner of the dog has to buy the decoy a beer.

Our only rule is that if the dog bites with no equipment we have to buy the person dinner...

But with your rule, Greg and I would be buying a lot of beer!!!

Until just recently, EVERY dog drew blood on Greg...his suit had gotten so worn, that there were literally holes in the sleeve...he just got his new suit, though...so, now, he only contends with pinches...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » July 19th, 2007, 8:16 am

On July 18 2007, 5:44 PM, katiek0417 wrote:
Until just recently, EVERY dog drew blood on Greg...his suit had gotten so worn, that there were literally holes in the sleeve...he just got his new suit, though...so, now, he only contends with pinches...

The only time I was ever in the suit I was in a Russian bitesuit. I took a few bites from a Mal and I ended it when he pierced my nipple in two places and my boob in two other places. No more Russian bitesuit for me!

And no, I didn't take pictures. LOL!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby katiek0417 » July 19th, 2007, 8:28 am

On July 19 2007, 7:16 AM, SisMorphine wrote:

The only time I was ever in the suit I was in a Russian bitesuit. I took a few bites from a Mal and I ended it when he pierced my nipple in two places and my boob in two other places. No more Russian bitesuit for me!

I have never seen a russian bitesuit...I mean, I've seen the belgian ring, french ring, and kimono styles....

and that mal must've been related to Rocky (who at 10 weeks old bit through my nipple)....and, no I didn't take pics either!!!! LOL

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » July 19th, 2007, 8:47 am

On July 19 2007, 7:28 AM, katiek0417 wrote:
On July 19 2007, 7:16 AM, SisMorphine wrote:

I have never seen a russian bitesuit...I mean, I've seen the belgian ring, french ring, and kimono styles....

and that mal must've been related to Rocky (who at 10 weeks old bit through my nipple)....and, no I didn't take pics either!!!! LOL

It's a big parka, basically, with a couple of bite bars on the sleeves. It even has a hood! Them Russians are crazy . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby amazincc » July 19th, 2007, 10:38 am

OMG, Katrina... :shock: :o

I am glad I don't have a nipple-biter in my house... OUCH! :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 19th, 2007, 11:01 am

On July 19 2007, 9:38 AM, amazincc wrote:OMG, Katrina... :shock: :o

I am glad I don't have a nipple-biter in my house... OUCH! :wink:

Well, two weeks after that he bit my face...at 12 weeks old!!! Seriously, though, he's being much better....

The worst part: Greg went around telling everyone what happened...and, while, yes, it was funny, he didn't need to tell EVERYONE we know!!!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 19th, 2007, 11:10 am

Your arm, too... if Mick ever does that to me or someone else for any reason, off comes his head... :cry: :wink:

J/K - I understand bite sport a little better now, and I don't see "decoy" as a career move in my future... :oops: :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 19th, 2007, 12:01 pm

On July 19 2007, 10:10 AM, amazincc wrote:Your arm, too... if Mick ever does that to me or someone else for any reason, off comes his head... :cry: :wink:

J/K - I understand bite sport a little better now, and I don't see "decoy" as a career move in my future... :oops: :)

Rocky and I had a little "discussion" after the face biting incident...

:wink:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby brooksybrooks1 » July 19th, 2007, 12:36 pm

ouch, enough of the biting through the nipple talk, it's making me hurt! maybe they were just trying to make you more hardcore and edgy, and it was just a hint that you should throw some jewelry in there! damn those mal's and their tough exterior!
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Sports