Hi- From central CT

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby Wanderer » July 13th, 2006, 11:00 am

:greenWave:

Hi, I'm new here. My husband and I just moved into our new house and are now looking into adopting a pit bull. I have had great experiences with pits and can never imagine myself being owned by another kind of dog! This will be my husbands first dog...it has been several years for me.

I'm excited to adopt and have been looking on petfinder every day. I have found that using the web is difficult because it is impossible to guess if there will be any "connection" with the dog...and to me that is essential to adopting. It is too easy to look for physical features and miss the most imortant mental aspect.

I'm sure I will have a ton of questions before, and after, we adopt. We are looking at rescues and shelters in our area. It is important to me that our new dog be good with people and other dogs (for the most part) and not have major food or toy aggression or seperation anxiety. I feel that as long as we are bonded with our dog we can work with most issues.

That's it in a very tiny nut shell... Thanks :D
Wanderer
Just Whelped

Postby Sarahdee » July 13th, 2006, 11:33 am

Hi welcome!
I hope you find a new friend soon!
I'm new to the Pit world, but I love my new puppy!
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Hoyden » July 13th, 2006, 11:37 am

Hello and welcome - I'm in central CT too.

A great place to start would be the Wallingford Animal Control. Lisa is the ACO's name and she is great to work with. A really really nice lady.

Here is their petfinder site. http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/CT227.html

You can also check out Regional Animal Control in Woodbridge. Judy is the ACO and has done wonderful things for pitbulls. I trust her judgement on dog temperment. Here is their site: http://members.petfinder.org/~CT118/index.htm
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 13th, 2006, 11:45 am

Welcome! :wave:
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » July 13th, 2006, 11:56 am

Hi! Welcome to the board!! How long have you been interested in the breed? Have you owned the breed before?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Wanderer » July 13th, 2006, 1:44 pm

My first and only dog (as an adult) was a pit who I rescued from the pound when he was 4 month old. I wasn't looking for a specific breed, he was just the one who won me over.

We did tons of obedience and agility and he earned his CGC. I was so proud to bring him in public because he was a great ambassator of the breed. He went everywhere with me and he loved everyone. He is the dog that I compare all other dogs to.

3 years ago I had to rehome him due to a change in my living situation. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I know that it was the best thing for him. He went to a woman I knew who had just lost her pit to cancer. I know he is happy and healthy.

Now that my life is finally stable I know the time is right to adopt again. I am older and wiser now and I will never go through that again. My dog taught me a lot about the breed, about dogs in general, and about myself...I hope to find that again.
Wanderer
Just Whelped

Postby Sue » July 13th, 2006, 4:26 pm

The Hartford Pound is also excellent. They only have 10 days to find a home and Sherry, the ACO, is awesome. I adopted 2 of mine from there :D

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/CT141.html

Good luck and welcome!
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Wanderer » July 14th, 2006, 8:10 am

Thanks for the shelter recommendations! I'm also going to check out West Hartford and Meriden...they seem to have a few dogs availible.

What type of things should I look for when meeting an adult dog in a shelter? I'm going to have to be somewhat objective so I don't adopt them all :D
Wanderer
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » July 14th, 2006, 10:15 am

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Leslie H » July 16th, 2006, 9:21 am

Not to say that you shouldn't go w/a shelter dog, but you are also close to Out of the Pits and Animal Farm Foundation. They are rescues that have consistently good temperamented dogs, I have seen many of them. They are just over the border in NY.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby Asta » July 19th, 2006, 3:10 pm

Hello and welcome :wave: Sounds oh so exciting with getting a new dog :)

Cheers,

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Return to Introductions