Total Newbie

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby FAB dogs » December 8th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Hi guys

I’m a newbie here because I suddenly find myself foster mom to a 4-6 month old pittie puppy and it‘s totally new territory for me. I’ve always been more of a northern breed person and until recently I had huskies of my own and fostered for husky rescue. The Red Queen may remember me and my husky tales from the Acme board ( :wave2: hi Erin!).

This fall, I lost both of my huskies within six weeks of each other, leaving me with a 2 year old husky/terrier mix (high energy, free spirited, reactive with some dogs) and a 6 month old terrier/retriever mix (isolated the first 8 weeks of life, shy in new situations, soft/gentle dog). And after being downsized from my job last year, I found myself working at the local animal shelter where I occasionally bring home sick or injured dogs for fostering before sending them on to rescue. Which brings me to my current foster . . .

Fenway, as I’ve taken to calling him, was brought to the shelter as a stray almost 3 weeks ago. He’s not sick or injured, per se, but he’s become a bit cage crazy. Also he was bowl aggressive when we tried to give him a pup of same age and size as a roommate. To top it all off, he was getting nippy with people’s clothing. He apparently hadn’t had much training in bite inhibition and had left bruises on a few people. And he’s been going through a fear stage that leads him to bark and growl at anyone or anything new.

Anyone visiting the shelter would walk up to his kennel, see him leaping three feet in the air and trying to climb the front of his kennel, then hear his barking and Tasmanian devil sounds and quickly move on to the next kennel. Without intervention of some sort he had pretty much zero chance of making it out of the shelter alive. So he ended up coming home with me “for the weekend” and he just hasn’t returned to the shelter since then.

Getting him out of the shelter setting has gone a long way to improving his overall well being (we‘re still working on crate aggression and barking at strangers walking past the house). I’d love to get him into a rescue but pit rescues are in short supply around here (Indiana) and are always full. I just can’t send him back to the shelter because I’m afraid he’ll backslide to where he was before. Not to mention the shelter is chronically full. So it looks like I have a wild and crazy pittie puppy on my hands for an unknown length of time. :D

He can stay with me as long as he gets along with everyone, but I’m a little leery of having two six month old puppies in my house; just not sure I can give them both the attention they need. I’ve got Avery in agility training and Brogan is starting family dog next week (with agility to follow in the spring). Short of getting him into rescue, I won’t be able to get Fenway into any kind of training until at least January. I’m also not quite sure how to go about training him in the interim. I don’t know if my northern breed training methods will work on a bully breed.

I will say the little guy is rapidly growing on me. My “nephew” is a pit mix and I have always admired the bully breeds. I am kind of interested in seeing if this guy would enjoy agility, and I’ve always been interested in weight pulling. But if anybody out there is interested in a pit puppy, or knows a reputable rescue, I’m all ears!

Any tips, suggestions, even criticisms would be greatly welcomed!

Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC, TDI
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man
Fenway the foster dog
And the three crazy cats

Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » December 8th, 2010, 7:33 pm

Welcome to the forum. :wave2: That is quite an interesting looking group you have there...and I mean that in a nice way. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 8th, 2010, 8:27 pm

"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » December 9th, 2010, 10:48 pm

*squeal*

Hi Tina! I saw your post about Quinn, and figured I missed your intro (thinking to myself...wonder if it's the same Tina). So sorry to hear about the huskies...:( But great to see you here! :greenwave:

doing any flyball still?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Hundilein » December 10th, 2010, 12:35 am

Tina!!!!! :confetti: So awesome to see you here! (It's Sarah with the black and tans, formerly newfylablady, here I'm known as hundilein.)

So sorry to hear about your boys.

You've found an awesome place to hang out and get great advice.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » December 10th, 2010, 10:08 am

*rubbing hands gleefully*

Soon I will have taken over the board... :devil:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Tubular Toby » December 10th, 2010, 12:37 pm

Welcome! I'm loving the white dog! haha, Fenway is a gorgeous boy too. Great lookin' group you've got!
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » December 10th, 2010, 1:09 pm

What are breed guesses on this guy? He looks kinda furry for a PB. Maybe some BC mixed in? That could also account for the nipping behaviors.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby FAB dogs » December 10th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm going to post some questions this evening when I get my thoughts in order. To address some of the comments here.

doing any flyball still?

Nope. Quinn was my flyball dog. I think Avery would excel at it, but the 70 mile drive to class isn't compatible with my 10 year old car. We're currently sticking with agility since it's closer (and she loves it). Did try a Rally class and enjoyed it, though.

It's Sarah with the black and tans, formerly newfylablady, here I'm known as hundilein

Sarah! Good to see you here too! How are those wild and crazy girls of yours?

I'm loving the white dog

That is quite an interesting looking group you have there

They are an eclectic bunch. Here's a different shot of the dynamic duo:

May be hard to tell, but she has blue eyes and he has parti eyes.

What are breed guesses on this guy? He looks kinda furry for a PB

I'll get some better pictures posted this weekend. He's very short haired (a new experience for a husky person!) We're actually trying to pass him off as a great dane mix, but his head and muzzle are so broad I don't think anybody is buying it. :mrgreen:
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » December 10th, 2010, 5:07 pm

:wave2:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Patch O' Pits » December 16th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Welcome to the forum! beautiful fur family!

Sorry for your losses... :(
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Introductions