New here! :-)

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby Huggabull612 » May 11th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Hi all

I am new here. Live in Rochester NY. I have 3 pitties of my own, and 6 fosters. But it is a sore subject, as you can all guess who they belong to.

But anyway, I work as a veterinary technician. I have been with the company for 10 years now.

I love my dogs with all my heart.

And I wanted another place to chat with pittie lovers and learn more about the pittie world.

:wave2:
~Jen~
Huggabull612
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » May 11th, 2009, 8:04 pm

Welcome to the forum! How did you get involved with pit bulls?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » May 11th, 2009, 8:11 pm

Hello and Welcome :wave2:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby ArtGypsy » May 11th, 2009, 8:50 pm

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Hello and Welcome to PBT!!!
It's the Greatest Forum Anywhere........

Jody, who has not been paid, or compensated in any way for this and all previous endorsements!! :neener:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Jenn » May 11th, 2009, 8:52 pm

:wave2: Welcome
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Huggabull612 » May 11th, 2009, 9:08 pm

Thanks everyone.

I got started with Pit Bulls in 2007 when a 6 week old pit puppy was brought into my office sick. They automatically suspected Parvo, because where we are located and because of the breed, it was the most logical. Before testing, we gave the owners an estimate for the cost of any treatment, they couldn't afford it obviously, and didn't want the long term hassle of a sick dog.
I had no dogs at the time, just 4 cats so I offered to adopt him.

They signed him over. We ran the test, no Parvo!!! But ended up having Megaesophagus. A definite long term commitment, but most dogs with this don't live a year past their diagnosis, usually die from Aspiration Pneumonia.

So it was love at first site with my new little pup, who I named Ralphie because he was always, well.... "ralphing"

It was quite a trip with him. We had what we called a Ralphie dance, I stood him up on his hind feet after he ate so it would help move his food down to his stomach. I was planning on building him the chair that many people use for megaesophagus dogs, to help him eat sitting up.

Ralphie went to puppy classes, new tricks of all kinds, was very wonderful. We decided to adopt a little friend for him. When he was 5 months old we adopted a 2 month old female puppy.

They were best friends.

Come April of 2008, I was planning on changing his snap collar to a martingale one because he was getting bigger and stronger I didn't want anything to happen. One night, April 17th 2008, I had switched his old collar back because it had the tags on it and I didn't want him sneaking out of the house and not having his tags on his new collar since I hadn't changed them over yet.
We were also in the process of building a fence for him and his new little sister.
That night, my husband had him out on his lead to go potty, and Macie (new pup) on a leash.

Ralphie had caught site of something across the street, took off. As soon as he hit the end of his lead, his collar broke. He ran out into the busy street, 10pm at night, and was hit by the only car on the road.
I heard my husband scream his name from the upstairs bedroom, dropped what I was doing, ran through the front door only to find him picking up Ralphie from the street and running him back to our yard.
I fell infront of Ralphie, saw that he was clearly in danger, struggling to breath while the blood filled his lungs. I frantically called my friend who was a vet I worked with, she met me at emergency, but it was too late.

as I was holding him on the ride out there, he had passed in my arms. I had never screamed more in my life, never cried more in my life and just couldn't get out of bed for 4 days. I was drugging myself to sleep because I just didn't want to be awake for any of the pain.

It was a year ago this past April, so much has gone on.

After he died I devoted my life to saving these dogs. Did some research and found SPBR which I joined and started fostering for.
I can't even tell you how many dogs I have fostered through there in less than a year now. A tough ride, that I am trying to get off of.

I will always be in it for the dogs. Even though I am financially unable to handle the number of fosters I have, I can't just dump them.

I have a lot of history I could share about my experience but another time. This story is about Ralphie and I can't maim his memory by complaining about my poor decisions.

:-) I am so glad I joined this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~Jen~
Huggabull612
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » May 11th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » May 12th, 2009, 6:40 am

Welcome to the forum :wave2:

I am very sorry about Ralphie, but he was obviously in the best home for his short life.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby maberi » May 12th, 2009, 7:03 am

Welcome to the forum :wave2:

You've come to a much better place
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 12th, 2009, 7:29 am

Welcome! :wave:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » May 12th, 2009, 7:49 am

Hey Jen!! You are a vet tech where I take my pups!!!! Welcome :D I am Junie's person :D

And I am so SO sorry about Ralphie :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » May 12th, 2009, 7:52 am

Welcome to PBT! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » May 12th, 2009, 5:25 pm

Welcome! :dance: Glad to have you here!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Huggabull612 » May 12th, 2009, 6:04 pm

LMM.....I love Junie!!!!!!!!!

She is the sweetest little thing and when she was hosptalized here for a while, I couldn't help but think of Ralphie because she looked so similar to him!

She is a great dog!!!!
~Jen~
Huggabull612
Just Whelped

Postby AllAmericanPUP » May 13th, 2009, 9:53 am

Welcome to PBT :wave2:
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby shady-angel » May 21st, 2009, 5:30 pm

Hello and welcome. Hope you enjoy as much as I do! :wave2:
shady-angel
Kiwi