Nail Nibbling

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby SisMorphine » March 5th, 2007, 3:39 pm

Does anyone have dogs that will chew on their own nails? How about chewing on other's nails? Athena seems to enjoy chewing on Wally's nails and he DOESN'T CORRECT HER FOR IT (which is amazing because he corrects her for everything else)!!!! Is that weird? I think it's weird . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvmypitties » March 5th, 2007, 3:42 pm

My dogs chew their own nails every once in a while. Not sure why they do it. wierd
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Marinepits » March 5th, 2007, 3:47 pm

Oh, that freaks me out when Katy does that to Shorty! Then again, Katy will hold Shorty down and lick her ears for hours.....
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Hoyden » March 5th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Send her over. Petey needs his nails trimmed and it's a nightmare for us to do. He loves puppies!!
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » March 5th, 2007, 4:20 pm

Cleo used chew her nails, I wish Ruby and Riggs would!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » March 5th, 2007, 4:49 pm

Truman does it. Only the "thumbs". But he licks all the others. Dork.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » March 5th, 2007, 5:54 pm

I wish my dogs would. :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » March 5th, 2007, 10:34 pm

That is the weirdest thing I ever heard.

lmao
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 5th, 2007, 10:41 pm

On March 05 2007, 9:34 PM, a-bull wrote:That is the weirdest thing I ever heard.

lmao

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's weird!!

A new weird thing she's doing: she is currently throwing a hissy fit because Wally won't play with her. So instead of doing her normal bounce and bark routine, she is throwing around a stuffie and barking with it in her mouth so the sound is muffled . . . strange little beast . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby a-bull » March 5th, 2007, 10:57 pm

She sounds hysterical!

Sophie bites her own nails, which I thought was odd, but my Mom's female dogs have all done it, too . . . but biting another dog's nails?? Sounds like she has a hygiene fetish.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 6th, 2007, 12:04 am

My vote is simply for crazy. This puppy is nuts!!
SisMorphine

Postby iluvk9 » March 6th, 2007, 7:31 am

On March 05 2007, SisMorphine wrote:My vote is simply for crazy. This puppy is nuts!!

There IS a theory that dogs take on their owner's personalities...
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » March 6th, 2007, 7:31 am

I posted it twice but I meant it once.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SisMorphine » March 6th, 2007, 9:25 am

On March 06 2007, 6:31 AM, iluvk9 wrote:I posted it twice but I meant it once.

rofl
SisMorphine

Postby SpiritFngrz » April 11th, 2007, 9:59 am

I just saw this but I think it's funny because my parents' Rottie girl, Roxy, does this ALL the time. She chews all her front nails except for one so it always looks like she's giving us the finger
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » April 11th, 2007, 11:24 am

I had a foster, Jud, he was slightly handicapped and had really bad teeth, and another foster, Dolly, would spend hours with her tongue in his mouth cleaning his teeth and she would lick his legs because he used to pee on them...
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby peonns » April 11th, 2007, 12:27 pm

My wife's grandparents staffy chews her nails all the time and has done it for years.I hate it cause I'm the one that wrestles with her and her nail get really sharp edges from her doing that. :)
God hates a coward
peonns
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby randi81 » April 11th, 2007, 12:57 pm

On April 11 2007, 10:24 AM, Wyldmoonwoman wrote:I had a foster, Jud, he was slightly handicapped and had really bad teeth, and another foster, Dolly, would spend hours with her tongue in his mouth cleaning his teeth and she would lick his legs because he used to pee on them...

That is really, really gross. :greenWave:
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » April 11th, 2007, 1:33 pm

On April 11 2007, 11:57 AM, randi81 wrote:
On April 11 2007, 10:24 AM, Wyldmoonwoman wrote:I had a foster, Jud, he was slightly handicapped and had really bad teeth, and another foster, Dolly, would spend hours with her tongue in his mouth cleaning his teeth and she would lick his legs because he used to pee on them...

That is really, really gross. :greenWave:

It was gross, Jud was her boyfriend...we used to call her the "fat kid" becaue she would lick or eat anything...chewing nails is harmless and saves you some clipping time :D
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby LegendsMami » April 14th, 2007, 5:51 pm

Legend chews his back nails when HE thinks they are too long.(probably b/c usually they are super short) I thought it was strange. Glad Legend's not the only dog that does it. lol
"When it comes to pit bulls the monster is often the two legged animal at the other end of the leash!"
LegendsMami
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Training & Behavior