Does anyone use nilif?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby friskycatz » February 27th, 2007, 10:05 am

Does anyone use nilif?? And how has it worked for you? Are there any links to where i can go to learn more about it? I know some of the basics but not all.
friskycatz
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » February 27th, 2007, 10:21 am

Lots of folks on here use NILIF, myself included. :wink:

Do a search on here because it is something we've discussed many many times.

Here are a few links:

http://www.k9deb.com/nilif.htm

http://www.greyhoundlist.org/nothing_is_free.htm

http://www.nomorehomelesspets.org/behav ... /nilif.htm
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby dogged » February 27th, 2007, 10:33 am

Yep, I use NILIF. The links posted above are great.
dogged
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby friskycatz » February 27th, 2007, 11:14 am

Thanks for the links, i'm getting right on it!
friskycatz
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby katiek0417 » February 27th, 2007, 11:16 am

I'm a big fan of NILIF....keeps the dogs in check...usually....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby cheekymunkee » February 27th, 2007, 2:09 pm

Works for mine when they start getting too big for their britches. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmypitties » February 27th, 2007, 3:19 pm

I have never heard of nilif ever! I guess I will do some reading too!!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Big_Ant » February 27th, 2007, 3:21 pm

On 02/27/2007 11:19 AM, luvmypitties wrote:I have never heard of nilif ever! I guess I will do some reading too!!

:shock: :o :?
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby luvmypitties » February 28th, 2007, 12:39 am

On February 27 2007, 2:21 PM, Big_Ant wrote:
On 02/27/2007 11:19 AM, luvmypitties wrote:I have never heard of nilif ever! I guess I will do some reading too!!

Why so shocked?? I am not sure why I haven't heard of it. when I get some extra time I will read some stuff on it.

I am quite embarrassed that i dont know what it is...lol :oops:
Tina

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby puppycop » February 28th, 2007, 1:08 am

I use it will all my dogs, it helps keep the peace :)
puppycop
Just Whelped

Postby randi81 » February 28th, 2007, 1:54 am

On February 27 2007, 11:39 PM, luvmypitties wrote:

Why so shocked?? I am not sure why I haven't heard of it. when I get some extra time I will read some stuff on it.

*pssssssst* i don't know, either. :oops:
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby luvmypitties » February 28th, 2007, 1:58 am

On February 28 2007, 12:54 AM, randi81 wrote:

Well good... then we can learn together...lol
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby randi81 » February 28th, 2007, 2:01 am

On February 28 2007, 12:54 AM, randi81 wrote:

well, having clicked on the links posted earlier... i do know what nilif is. i just never knew the correct term, i guess. plus, i can't imagine ignoring saydee when she nudges me. i know i know i know... I'M the leader of the pack, but she has big sad puppy dog eyes.... :|
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » February 28th, 2007, 9:14 am

On Wed, Feb 28 2007, 1:01 AM, randi81 wrote:well, having clicked on the links posted earlier... i do know what nilif is. i just never knew the correct term, i guess. plus, i can't imagine ignoring saydee when she nudges me. i know i know i know... I'M the leader of the pack, but she has big sad puppy dog eyes.... :|

Don't fall for that trap! It's the oldest trick in the book! And once she knows it will work on you, she'll keep using it. :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby randi81 » February 28th, 2007, 1:04 pm

On February 28 2007, 8:14 AM, Marinepits wrote:
On Wed, Feb 28 2007, 1:01 AM, randi81 wrote:well, having clicked on the links posted earlier... i do know what nilif is. i just never knew the correct term, i guess. plus, i can't imagine ignoring saydee when she nudges me. i know i know i know... I'M the leader of the pack, but she has big sad puppy dog eyes.... :|

Don't fall for that trap! It's the oldest trick in the book! And once she knows it will work on you, she'll keep using it. :wink:

i knoooooow! i'm gonna work on it. cuz now she's bothering people who come over... sniffing/nudging crotches, jumping up occassionally, etc. so, yeah. I'M THE LEADER!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
-Randi.

randi81
Full of Bully

Postby Big_Ant » February 28th, 2007, 1:38 pm

On 02/27/2007 8:39 PM, luvmypitties wrote:

It's shocking because you list yourself as a 'Puppy Trainer', yet you don't know one of the most well known, basic, and effective training methods. Even if you don't use it, agree with it, whatever, you should still know what it is.

I think that word "Trainer" is far too overused these days. I myself have worked quite a few dogs in my time, 'trained' them if you will, but i would never call myself a trainer. I've had people ask me to train their dog, and my response has always been, "You can come and work your dogs with me and i will offer some advice, but I am not a 'Trainer'"

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby luvmypitties » February 28th, 2007, 1:52 pm

On February 28 2007, 12:38 PM, Big_Ant wrote:
On 02/27/2007 8:39 PM, luvmypitties wrote:

It's shocking because you list yourself as a 'Puppy Trainer', yet you don't know one of the most well known, basic, and effective training methods. Even if you don't use it, agree with it, whatever, you should still know what it is.

I think that word "Trainer" is far too overused these days. I myself have worked quite a few dogs in my time, 'trained' them if you will, but i would never call myself a trainer. I've had people ask me to train their dog, and my response has always been, "You can come and work your dogs with me and i will offer some advice, but I am not a 'Trainer'"

- Anthony

Ok I will agree with you on that. My job title is puppy trainer. I teach the puppies to 'sit' and 'fetch' That is all that is required for our puppies to do before they are sold. I guess trainer might not be the best word... i will think of something else to describe my job without using the title given to me. I do not train obedience or anything like that. I work on bring out instinct in the field labs. After reading the NILIF stuff I do use that stuff I just didnt know what ti was called.

Our dogs have to work for everything they get. The puppies are handled everyday and even they have to work to get thing such as being back down with the other puppies.
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby LegendsMami » March 3rd, 2007, 12:30 am

On February 27 2007, 1:09 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:Works for mine when they start getting too big for their britches. :wink:

Yup! Also had to use on the pup(Gemyni) that I took in once I got her confidence back up from being beaten. She started acting like she was the queen and everyone was suppose to bow down to her! AHAHA!..She got it together after I started using this method.
"When it comes to pit bulls the monster is often the two legged animal at the other end of the leash!"
LegendsMami
Just Whelped

Postby friskycatz » March 3rd, 2007, 9:04 pm

This method is excellant! I knew the basics but now i'm more in depth and its working wonderfully for the little pup!
friskycatz
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Training & Behavior