Colby pit?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby friskycatz » February 25th, 2007, 5:27 pm

Can anyone who has expertise in this give me any advice, what are the temperment of a colby pit energy level etc? I have aquired a new foster who is colby, and need all the info i can get! I also would like to know how to handle training, is it the same as american bulldogs training or dif? If so how? I want to give this pup the best possible after all he's been through, to fully understand the background, I posted it in my introduction thread, thanks!
friskycatz
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » February 25th, 2007, 5:30 pm

I think you can train Pits similarly to how you train AB's. I don't know anything about the Colby lines specifically though.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby friskycatz » February 25th, 2007, 5:38 pm

Thanks! Hopefully i'll be getting more info soon! I want to do this right so when he gets to his forever home, (if hubby allows it LOL) He'll be ready.
friskycatz
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » February 25th, 2007, 10:18 pm

Colby dogs are great dogs, they are VERY people oriented. Munkee has colby blood. Just like with any pit bull, responsibility is the key. Pit Bulls are different than AB's but the responsibilty for caring for one is similar. They can be very DA, much more so than an AB and pit bulls should never be left alone with other dogs unsupervised. The best bet for an adopter ( if you go that route) is an experienced owner. Here is a thread about tips for new pit bull owners.

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=9420
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby friskycatz » February 25th, 2007, 11:06 pm

Thanks cheekymunky! If anyone else knows anything, anyhting at all please don't hesitate to post.
friskycatz
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 26th, 2007, 5:56 pm

On February 25 2007, friskycatz wrote:Can anyone who has expertise in this give me any advice, what are the temperment of a colby pit energy level etc? I have aquired a new foster who is colby, and need all the info i can get! I also would like to know how to handle training, is it the same as american bulldogs training or dif? If so how? I want to give this pup the best possible after all he's been through, to fully understand the background, I posted it in my introduction thread, thanks!

Hi and thanks for helping out this poor pup. :greenWave:

Just wanted to add many BYBs have no clue what their dogs are and since Colby is a familar bloodline to many they plop that on their dgs. That being said unless this dog came from a reputible source which I doubt since he is in rescue, I'd question the heritage

Unfortunately even if he has colby blood you can't really say what the dog will act like not knowing how he was bred or the full heritage. Just saying colby isn't enough IMO

I'll have to peek at your intro to help give better advice on your question
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 26th, 2007, 6:03 pm

Just read your intro... the pup definately came from aq BYB so I wouldn't trust anything they said about the pup honestly. :(

How old is the pup??? How long was he at the shelter?

Individual dogs within the breed vary
The average APBT pup is very active , playful and outgoing

On the average, they do usually tend to be more handler sensative than ABs are IMO

They may or may not grwo to be dog aggressive, just something to keep in mind

here ya go, I already have this written up in another thread.
Training and socializing your pup:
http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=696

Good luck with your new addition

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby friskycatz » February 26th, 2007, 6:17 pm

Thank you, you may be right, he's about 6 weeks. I received him yesterday, meaning he was given up yesterday.
friskycatz
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » February 26th, 2007, 8:41 pm

Colby are the people who tipped me over the edge from believing the lies to seeing the breed for what they are :)
They were nice enough to respond to my stupid ass question politely, even though I was not getting one of their dogs...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 26th, 2007, 9:39 pm

Poor lil one.
I'm so glad you have him now.

Look at the link I posted as it will be very imprtant that he gets a good start with you after what happened to him already

If you think of anything specific you need just ask away

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby friskycatz » February 26th, 2007, 9:40 pm

Malli, can you be more specific, i don't think i understand what you are saying......No offense, but i'm really curious as to what you are talking about, you can pm me if you want.
friskycatz
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby friskycatz » February 26th, 2007, 9:43 pm

Patch, i actually do have a question, when does the fear stage start? I've noticed sometimes if theres a loud noise he'll run with his tail between his legs but come right back, also sometimes when a stranger holds him he shivers, even with me sometimes when i am taking him out to potty, and i hope you don't mind but i copied you puppy raising pointers, so that i can get to them quickly if i need to look over them for any reason.
friskycatz
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby brooksybrooks1 » February 27th, 2007, 12:25 am

i agree with patch in the sense that because colby is such a well known bloodline, even people who don't know anything about pits are quick to attach it to a dog just because the dog is small or gamey looking or whatever, but realistically Colby doesn't breed that much anymore, and you most likely wouldn't find an expensive dog like that at a pound. i wouldn't trust your sources unless you had papers, but regardless, i wouldn't think that training a "colby pit" would be any different from training a "normal pit" in the sense that you just have to figure out what makes your dog tick and then use that to your advantage.
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby brooksybrooks1 » February 27th, 2007, 12:26 am

also, you may want to check out diane jessup and (i forget his first name) stratton's books. they talk a lot about colby pits.
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » February 27th, 2007, 1:08 pm

On February 26 2007, friskycatz wrote:Malli, can you be more specific, i don't think i understand what you are saying......No offense, but i'm really curious as to what you are talking about, you can pm me if you want.

What I mean is that about 7 years ago my boyfriend began talking about getting a Pit Bull. Our friend's dog, who we loved, was going to have puppies. Although I liked dogs in general, I'd heard some horrible things about Pit Bulls; mainly the rumor that I remember clearly was : as the dog grows their brains become to large for their sculls and the go crazy with pain. Not knowing what else to do, noting Colby mentioned over and over again, and going on their website and seeing how much history the family had in the Breed, I decided to write them, explain what was going on, and ask about what I had heard. They were nice enough to actually answer me, they weren't condescending or rude (even though I was askign a rediculous question and had already stated that I was getting a dog somewhere else), and they wished me luck. That was one of the major things that got me to go "ok, well what are these dogs really like, anyway".

Thats what I meant.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby dogged » February 27th, 2007, 1:22 pm

dogged
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » February 27th, 2007, 1:27 pm

That is a REALLY fabulous link, dogged! Thanks for posting it! :headbanger:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby friskycatz » February 27th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Thanks malli! Makes more sense now, thank too dogged for sending me that link!
friskycatz
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby dogged » February 27th, 2007, 1:41 pm

On February 27 2007, 12:27 PM, Marinepits wrote:

That is a REALLY fabulous link, dogged! Thanks for posting it! :headbanger:

Glad ya like it! The website has a lot of neat information. The sections on dog language diagrams and examples is also great.
dogged
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior