Am I responding correctly?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby akaspaddero » February 5th, 2007, 2:53 pm

Maddie went after Jake again last night.

Maddie has a little issue with food. We put her in her crate to eat because there have been two instances where whe has gone after Jake. So yesterday, we, the humans, are eating our chip and dip watching the game. All dogs staring waiting for thier chip Out of the blue, jake jumps up on the couch and then Maddie jumps on him and is in his face and the noices she is making (OMG). We grab maddie off jake and put her in her crate. Jake goes and hides upstairs and doesnt' come down for the rest of the night.

Now, are we doing the right thing by A) putting maddie in the crate when she goes after jake like that and B) letting Jake hide up stairs. And once again, the bond between them is broken and i am back to square one with the two of them. Jake just slinks by her all the time. he is always watching her out of the corner of his eye....It was getting better and they would actually play together, but now...
Any thoughts or ideas?

One thing I was thinking is if humans are going to eat while watching TV maybe we need to kennel maddie, but that isn't fair to her, but at the same time better safe than sorry...I don't know....
Thanks to all who respond
akaspaddero
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 5th, 2007, 2:55 pm

I would definitely not use the crate as punishment. You want it to always remain a safe spot for them.

Can you attach tethers to your walls so that they are separated but both out? At least if there is food involved?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby akaspaddero » February 5th, 2007, 3:25 pm

Like tie outs right? We have a few in the back yard I can bring in and put it around the stairs railing.
Last edited by akaspaddero on February 5th, 2007, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akaspaddero
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 5th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Essentially, a heavy-duty eyebolt screwed into your baseboard with a strong cable or tether attached to it so the dogs can be with you but not reach each other. Or attach their leashes to heavy furniture so that they can be in the same room but not together.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby akaspaddero » February 5th, 2007, 3:28 pm

LOL...yea..I felt like an idiot when I googled it so I went and edited my post - LOL...
akaspaddero
Just Whelped

Postby Big_Ant » February 5th, 2007, 4:10 pm

Just my opinion, and I'm sure many will disagree, but I wouldn't allow him to run upstairs and hide.

Don't coddle him, but just go up, tell him to get downstairs. If he refuses, grab his collar and bring him down.

I have a completely different handling of what most people do for DA in a multi dog home, but one of the things I'm firm on is that all of your dogs must remain confident, and letting a dog hide upstairs does nothing for him but lead to problems.

And . . . I do believe that the crate can be used for punishment, but to each his own. I'm way out there with my methods as you all know.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby luvmypitties » February 5th, 2007, 4:41 pm

I have this problem occassionally with Jake and Ellie. jake goes after the other dogs especially over food whether it be ours or theirs. our dogs are all fed seperately and when we eat one dog goes outside or in their crate. The dogs dont seem to be too bothered by being crated. We still give them scraps in their crate so they arent missing out on anything except their little fights.

Also learning to read your dog. Obviously Maddie is the top dog over dogs. As our Jake is with our herd. We know when jake is in a bad mood, he is seperated usually for the day, or when he eyes the other dogs then he is seperated. I think the tethering thing is a good idea... i would do it if I didnt live with my dad!

I dont think you should baby Jake for being attacked, but I agree with anthony he shouldnt be allowed to hide. Call him out and get him back with everyone. When Ellie gets attacked we look over her to make sure she doesnt have any marks or anything and then we go back to what we were doing. ( Side note, we have not had any break outs in the past 3 months with heavy training and seperating and we are very careful when our dogs are together, now they spend most of the time seperated)
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby akaspaddero » February 5th, 2007, 5:11 pm

Thanks everyone!
akaspaddero
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » February 6th, 2007, 11:16 am

I would start with not giving the dogs any treats around each other.

All dogs staring waiting for thier chip

Do you mean that they are sitting there begging / waiting for somethig to fall on the floor? In my opinion, this encourages problems because they are in direct compitition for anything that is "fair game."

I don't believe the crate should be used for punishment, but I also don't care if one of the dogs is sulking. Go sulk, have fun with that. Just ignore the dog completely it will come out eventually.

On most issues I generally say to fix the problem, not avoid it. However, with food, I think it makes more sense to control it by not letting it happen in the first place - especially with two dogs.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » February 6th, 2007, 11:28 am

On February 06 2007, mnp13 wrote:I would start with not giving the dogs any treats around each other.

All dogs staring waiting for thier chip

Do you mean that they are sitting there begging / waiting for somethig to fall on the floor? In my opinion, this encourages problems because they are in direct compitition for anything that is "fair game."

I don't believe the crate should be used for punishment, but I also don't care if one of the dogs is sulking. Go sulk, have fun with that. Just ignore the dog completely it will come out eventually.

On most issues I generally say to fix the problem, not avoid it. However, with food, I think it makes more sense to control it by not letting it happen in the first place - especially with two dogs.

Agreed on all fronts. :)

If you're offering bits of your food as treats and there isn't a definite pecking order that's being followed, they will fight.

I wouldn't use the crate as a punishment if you expect to use it in a positive manner in the future.

If one dog slinks off or slinks around the other dog there is a pecking order between the two dogs and leave it alone. If you keep interrupting it they will continue to fight to re-establish it.

If food is a big issue, avoid it.

It's my opinion and experience that people think being "top dog" in their dog's world means they can dictate the 'dog pecking order' as well. Bad plan. I'm not really big on this "human as alpha dog" concept. The human should be the leader, but it is more of a control/provider role. The dogs, on the other hand, will and should have a pecking order/pack order amongst themselves. If you interfere with this, not only will they continue to fight, but it will likely escalate. There needs to be a pack order between the two dogs.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » February 6th, 2007, 11:44 am

I will disagree with the pecking order thing.

We STRICTLY enforce pecking order at my house. the minute we stop Connor marks every place that Ruby sleeps. Ruby keeps the boys in line, but Connor sneaks off and pees all over the place. When we enforce it he doesn't do it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » February 6th, 2007, 11:55 am

On February 06 2007, mnp13 wrote:I will disagree with the pecking order thing.

We STRICTLY enforce pecking order at my house. the minute we stop Connor marks every place that Ruby sleeps. Ruby keeps the boys in line, but Connor sneaks off and pees all over the place. When we enforce it he doesn't do it.

I was most sure someone would disagree with something I said. :D
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Sue » February 6th, 2007, 12:22 pm

On February 06 2007, 10:55 AM, a-bull wrote:
On February 06 2007, mnp13 wrote:I will disagree with the pecking order thing.

I was most sure someone would disagree with something I said. :D

Well, of course silly!!!
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Big_Ant » February 6th, 2007, 12:28 pm

I think I seen a "panty un-buncher" at Walmart for $9.99 if you guys need one.

It's a difference of opinion. She didn't say, "I disagree and you are wrong", all she said was that she disagreed, in other words, she doesn't do it that way.

As I always say, "You do you and I'll do me"
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Sue » February 6th, 2007, 12:32 pm

On February 06 2007, 11:28 AM, Big_Ant wrote:I think I seen a "panty un-buncher" at Walmart for $9.99 if you guys need one.

Thanks for the heads up, but I don't need one... don't wear any :wink: Oh, and I don't shop at Walmart :D
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby cheekymunkee » February 6th, 2007, 1:17 pm

I am sure she knew fully well that it was a difference of opinion. Let's NOT start that crap back up...........m'kay? :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Big_Ant » February 6th, 2007, 1:19 pm

On 02/06/2007 9:17 AM, cheekymunkee wrote:I am sure she knew fully well that it was a difference of opinion. Let's NOT start that crap back up...........m'kay? :wink:

:greenWave:
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby akaspaddero » February 6th, 2007, 3:16 pm

Stupid question, but that is why i am here to learn...
How do you tell which dog is the dog pack leader or the order of the pecking (order)? Can it change in different enviroments?
akaspaddero
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » February 6th, 2007, 3:18 pm

On February 06 2007, 14:16, akaspaddero wrote:Stupid question, but that is why i am here to learn...
How do you tell which dog is the dog pack leader or the order of the pecking (order)? Can it change in different enviroments?

The dog that the others don't mess with, or who orders around the others. If that dog approaches the others may drop toys or back away. Arguements often happen if one dog gets too big for its britches.

It can change, but I don't think it does very often. It may if the dogs are visiting someone else's house.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby akaspaddero » February 6th, 2007, 3:55 pm

On February 06 2007, 2:18 PM, mnp13 wrote:
The dog that the others don't mess with, or who orders around the others. If that dog approaches the others may drop toys or back away. Arguements often happen if one dog gets too big for its britches.

It can change, but I don't think it does very often. It may if the dogs are visiting someone else's house.

Ok. It is weird in my house. The middle dog Zoe, no issues she is the submissive girl. With food, obviously it is Maddie. But outherwise it is jake, but then he is also afraid of Maddie when it comes to food. Out and about Maddie follows jake around, like she is his shadow. He even tries to heard her when she goes out of bounds when we are outside (yard or gulley or canyon) She never ever tries to take a toy from him inside or outside the house. But if Jake is by me and she comes up to wiggle her way in, he leaves. So, hmmmm...
akaspaddero
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior