Screaming in Crate

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby katiek0417 » February 8th, 2007, 3:13 pm

On February 08 2007, 2:11 PM, Marinepits wrote:
On Wed, Feb 07 2007, 11:44 PM, SisMorphine wrote:The puppy screams in her crate, too. So when you have her and Mike crated next to each other it's like a friggin' screaming chorus.

Is the pup maybe picking up on Mike's bad habits?

Good question...none of our other dogs barked when I was getting ready to leave until Jue started...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » February 8th, 2007, 3:34 pm

On February 08 2007, 13:58, katiek0417 wrote:As much as I hate to say this, the dog might need an e-collar for this type of correction...does he wear a pinch? The other option would be to clip a really long line to his pinch (the leash needs to be SUPER LONG), fish it through a hole on his crate, leave the room, and go to the point where he typically starts whining...when he starts, yank on the leash, and yell quiet....

I tried this with Riggs. When he feels the leash clip he is silent. He's "everything" smart at this point. I am thinking of getting the "shark fishing" weight fishing line and useing a similar weight link thing and useing that for corrections. Hopefully it will be light enough to surprise him. But I don't use any correction collars with him.

He makes my anxiety go through the roof. If a screaming baby makes your heart pound and your blood pressure go up then you know exactly how I feel. The reaction to a baby's cry is instinctive and biological - it is supposed to make you feel that you need to help the baby.

this is sooooo frusterating for me. It has been a year of this. sometimes it seems like it is over, other times I feel that we are back to square one. I am VERY open to suggestions (even though I feel like I have tried everything, I'm sure people have different ideas or methods that will work!)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » February 8th, 2007, 4:43 pm

On February 08 2007, 2:11 PM, Marinepits wrote:
On Wed, Feb 07 2007, 11:44 PM, SisMorphine wrote:The puppy screams in her crate, too. So when you have her and Mike crated next to each other it's like a friggin' screaming chorus.

Is the pup maybe picking up on Mike's bad habits?

I hope not. They're not together too often. I think she's just such a strong-headed girl that it's taking her a little while to give in to being crated. She's definitely starting to become quieter. Today she's only screamed after her meals when she wants out right then and there!! But she's not screaming going in anymore, which is good.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Romanwild » February 17th, 2007, 9:50 am

Sis: This will sound insane but try feeding him while he's screaming. I know it sounds counterintuitive but I have some success with this approach.

The first time I did it he completely stopped within minutes. It came back after I boarded him a few weeks later but I started it again recently and it is working.

The deal is that eating causes the body to release "calming" chemicals. The way it was taught to me was that the screaming might increase for a while but then it will diminish until it's pretty much gone. Then you use a remote training collar or something similar to correct them.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby msvette2u » February 17th, 2007, 12:06 pm

Interesting. Lambie still throws tantrums in her crate and we'd all but gotten rid of it. We make her wait until she's quit to let her out, but it doesn't help.
Yaeger will yelp if he thinks something else should be happening that isn't happening.
Luckily neither last the entire time they are crated.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » February 17th, 2007, 6:20 pm

On February 17 2007, 08:50, Romanwild wrote:Sis: This will sound insane but try feeding him while he's screaming. I know it sounds counterintuitive but I have some success with this approach.

The first time I did it he completely stopped within minutes. It came back after I boarded him a few weeks later but I started it again recently and it is working.

The deal is that eating causes the body to release "calming" chemicals. The way it was taught to me was that the screaming might increase for a while but then it will diminish until it's pretty much gone. Then you use a remote training collar or something similar to correct them.

Mike is just like Riggs - he's quiet when he can see you.

He will usually not scream if I'm in the room, it is when I leave the room, and as soon as he senses me coming back he shuts up (and I don't let him out immediately). So I can't correct him for it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » February 18th, 2007, 10:04 am

So I guess having someone else do the feeding would make sense....right? :D
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 4th, 2007, 8:04 pm

Katrina gave me an idea that I am trying now - when Riggs has a tantrum in the crate, I put him on leash and take him outside. Crate to the door and back to the crate. I'm hoping to get the point across that noise in the crate gets you one thing, a leash and a trip outside to do your business.

Who knows, maybe it will work. It's definately worth a try.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » March 4th, 2007, 11:05 pm

On March 04 2007, 7:04 PM, mnp13 wrote:Katrina gave me an idea that I am trying now - when Riggs has a tantrum in the crate, I put him on leash and take him outside. Crate to the door and back to the crate. I'm hoping to get the point across that noise in the crate gets you one thing, a leash and a trip outside to do your business.

Who knows, maybe it will work. It's definitely worth a try.

I worry that this will reinforce the behavior by giving him what he wants (out of the crate and near me). You let me know how it goes then I'll give it a shot ;)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby mnp13 » March 4th, 2007, 11:11 pm

That's the thing though - out, pee, back to the crate. Sort of like a dog pawing at you meaning "hi mom, would you please put me in my crate?"
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » March 4th, 2007, 11:22 pm

On March 04 2007, 10:11 PM, mnp13 wrote:That's the thing though - out, pee, back to the crate. Sort of like a dog pawing at you meaning "hi mom, would you please put me in my crate?"

He pees only twice a day, though (unlike Wally, not a huge marker) and for him just being out and onleash is a HUGE rewards (or even having me back in the room is a big reward).
SisMorphine

Postby delilahsmommy » June 21st, 2007, 9:37 am

yeah i need help on this issue as well my puppy hates her crate she screams and wines and barks i don't wanna deal with it at night so i let her sleep in the bed (easy and i like my sleep) but she screams if I'm in her sight or out of the room or even if i left for work i can hear her screaming outside....i live in a apt building....feel bad for my neighbors...she is just an attention whore....mind you she is only 8 wks so i have no idea what to do :hammer:
some people just dont get it...
and some shouldnt
delilahsmommy
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 21st, 2007, 10:03 am

On June 21 2007, 8:37 AM, delilahsmommy wrote:yeah i need help on this issue as well my puppy hates her crate she screams and wines and barks i don't wanna deal with it at night so i let her sleep in the bed (easy and i like my sleep) but she screams if I'm in her sight or out of the room or even if i left for work i can hear her screaming outside....i live in a apt building....feel bad for my neighbors...she is just an attention lady of the night....mind you she is only 8 wks so i have no idea what to do :hammer:

Check your PM...I listed the things I tell the people who buy my puppies...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » June 21st, 2007, 4:42 pm

Have you tried placing an old shirt/blanket/other-something in the crate that smells like you??? I had to do this w/Mick when I first got him, because he would go insane in his crate...
Dogs are weird, ya know? When I was in the hospital for three weeks, Mick would carry one of my socks around constantly... even to go potty. Talk about my daughter being extremely embarrassed when taking him outside... :D
I also brought an old blanket to the vet when he had surgery, and they placed him on it so he could come out of anesthesia w/out freaking out once he realized he was in a "strange" place. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby delilahsmommy » June 21st, 2007, 8:36 pm

i got her one of my old shirts she likes to play with it alot it will be torn up in no time and i also have a towel just for her to play with she is very smart she ties it around the table leg so she can tug on it today wasnt so bad with the crate when we left she only whined a little bit and when we got home she wasnt screaming her head off..
some people just dont get it...
and some shouldnt
delilahsmommy
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » June 21st, 2007, 8:52 pm

Teeny was the WORST when she was a puppy. Every time I would put her in her crate she would scream for about 2 hours straight (day or night). I would wrap her crate in heavy blankets to muffle the screaming and turn up the boob tube so I could at least get a little sleep. (She always had something to chew on, just didn't care.) I also set the alarm so I would get up at the same time every night to let her out so I knew her screams weren't those of having to potty.

She's mostly grown out of it, but at times will scream when crated and I leave the room, but a quick "Teeny shut your hole!" now works wonders. She's a brat :)
SisMorphine

Postby luvmypitties » June 21st, 2007, 9:02 pm

Roscoe was horrible in his crate for the first couple days. I slept in front of his crate at night so I could get some kind of sleep. We fed him all his meals in his crate, one for his safety with the other dogs and two to get him used to the crate being a good thing. The bad thing is now he gets in his crate and expects food! He no longer cries as much. He does occassionally to get some kind of attention. I tell him 'quiet' and he does so.

Crate training takes a lot of patience! And I mean a lot. And a few sleepless nights and annoyed neighbors. but it is the best in the end!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior