dog on couch while we're gone?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby HappyPuppy » January 28th, 2007, 2:03 pm

Oops - should this be in the training & behavior section? (sorry-edit)
I read a thread here on this but couldn't find it via 'search' - I think it might have been a 'Tucker" dog but I don't remember... We have not crate trained Ruby. :oops: She is free in the house when we go away for a few hours. And she is only allowed on my side of the bed in the morning for a snooze before I get up - no other furniture privileges. She's been getting on the couch when we're gone. My solution the last few times (which seemed to be working) was to angle the couch cushions so she couldn't get on there (and leave dog hair!). So we did that last nite and found the chair seat warm in the same room when we got home. Grrr. She'll also get on the chair we have in the garage when she feels alone out there (I thought that was insecurity ouitside?). She scurries off the chair in the garage when I find here there tho I have never en/discouraged that out there. But what to do about getting on the house chair? Is that a challenging thing? I don't like that she does this. And the other night, I let her out to pee late and she came in and went straight into the dark family room and got on the couch. I was shocked that she did this right in front of me with no prior permission.
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » January 28th, 2007, 2:21 pm

Our (smaller) dogs lay on the couch all the time. Libby gets up there while we are gone. It's no biggie here. :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby call2arms » January 28th, 2007, 2:36 pm

It's not a challenging thing. She just know that when no one is around, that she can get on the couch and be comfy. Pit bulls are luxury sl*ts. Ruby also knowa that when you get home, she better get her butt off that couch or she'll get scolded/chased off the couch. No big deal here, she's just being a dog. Jessie does the same, only she does it when we're not in the living room (where, mind you, she has her own, very comfy chair and knows that our couch is forbidden).

So, when we're not using the couch, I put a long piece of wood across the seat. That ain't too comfy to lay on, so she uses her chair. There are also those things called "scat mats", plastic mats with little spike thingies on them, that keep dogs and cats off furniture and counters, etc.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby luvmyangels » January 28th, 2007, 2:41 pm

My older dog has decided at night the couch is his. When I come down the stairs he jumps off of it since I was the one that did all his training with him. My husband said he used to jump off the couch when he came downstairs but now he just lays there like a lump. I have a bed for him but he wants no part of it. If my trainer ever saw him sleeping on the couch she'd yell at me but she is not here so :neener: .
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Malli » January 28th, 2007, 2:52 pm

I think there may be some confusion about the signals she's sending you?

She'd be challenging you if she got up on it RIGHT in front of you and you'd made it crystal clear you dissaproved, or if you asked her to get off it and she refused or became aggressive (dominant behavior)

People use priviliges to show their dogs who think they "own the place" are being obstinate or stubborn in training, misbehaving in the house, or to show them they aren't as hot sh!t as they think they are :lol3:
The can take away things like funiture privilages, free run of the house, free access to food (free feeding) to show the dog in a non confrontational way that he is definately not top dog, because top dogs control all resources and the pack's activities.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » January 28th, 2007, 3:06 pm

Riggs is not allowed on furniture, period.

Ruby is allowed on anything she wants, but only when invited up, except for her chair which she is allowed on whenever she wants, except for when I tell her she has to get off.

Ruby knows she is not allowed on my bed unless I tell her she can get up there. So, when I am walking up the stairs I hear her hit the floor - she's not on the bed when I get to the top of the stairs, so she won't get in trouble; and she knows it.

Clear as mud.

She gets on the couch because you're not there to stop her and she doesn't really think that you can tell her what to do anyway. I wouldn't call it a "challenge" but it is a canine middle finger. "what you don't know won't hurt you"
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » January 28th, 2007, 3:20 pm

Yes, we had a husky 6 or 7 years ago that was very dominant (along with other issues) and he'd GROWL and try to bite if you took him off the couch, we never allowed him up there but he got up anyway.We couldn't get him off. It was dangerous.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby bustersmama » January 28th, 2007, 3:57 pm

I would also like to point out that most dogs do not differentiate between the bed, a couch, chairs etc. If they are allowed up in certain parts of the house, I doubt the can reason why they shouldnt be up in other parts of the house - especially when no one is home.
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby randi81 » January 28th, 2007, 7:36 pm

saydee shows absolutely NO interest in furniture, beds, couches, etc. she's been on the couch with her front half before, but only when she was tryin to sniff poptart hello + he was scurrying away. i even tried coaxing her up onto my bed one time (when her crate was bent because of her great escape), + my boyfriend had to help her up. i'm glad she doesn't like furniture. less doggie hairs i have to vaccuum off! :D
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby chewbecca » February 4th, 2007, 12:42 am

Ella is not on furniture without a human on it.
I allow her up on the couch with my son.
I catch her on my bed when I'm not on it, and I give her an "off" and never have to repeat myself.

I think crate training is the best way to go. But, that's just me. I have problems with my dog roaming my house free when I'm not around. It really bothers me. But that's me.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby rockermom » February 5th, 2007, 10:39 am

Hello, Ive been away for a while but came back to get some help on recall when I noticed your thread.
I belive I started the thread you are looking for called NILIF loosing the couch battle. http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
What I ended up doing was getting a flat dog bed blanket thing from BJ's.
When I go out or go to bed I place it on the spot he will lay on when not home. Soon as I put it there it is permission to him to go on the couch. Although if I dont put it there he is going up there as soon as I leave. Placing it there keeps the hair and stink off. He always lays on the same spot. He still gets off when I come in the house. The reason I chose to give in and allow him there when Im not home is it keeps him out of trouble since he spends most of the day sleeping there. Keep in mind that I am a stay at home mom and I am not out for 8hrs a day. If I was working and out long periods I may do it differently.
If you really want to keep your dog off the couch, something suggested to me was a scat mat. But I think i gives em a zap or something. But supposedly does the trick.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby luvmypitties » February 5th, 2007, 4:49 pm

I am no help here...lol... my dogs are allowed everywhere and on everything! Mine sleep under the covers and on the pillows. And on the couch we sit wherever the dogs arent sprawled out!!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior