Advice for my dad

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby msvette2u » January 27th, 2007, 1:37 pm

I'm going to copy and paste all training tips to my dad, so feel free to give them!
I got my dad a Mini Schnauzer after their shelter dog passed away (another Mini Schnauzer). Mr. T, their new dog, has been horrible, with his behavior and I tried back then to get them to NILIF. But dad said "Oh he just gets treats because he's cute" instead of making him "sit" for treats, you know what I mean.
He has been aggressive with people, when they lived here in this area, they'd crate him when people came over.
Well since they've been gone for the past few years, apparently he's gotten worse and as a woman was walking by the other day, Mr. T ran out and bit her. I guess he was in the front/unfenced yard (I have no idea the setup, they live in Alabama now) and this gal was walking by but dad had gone back in to get a coat so wasn't out there with the dog. He is now keeping the dog on a leash but Dad's pretty upset, of course. And he's not sure the dog bit the woman, she said he did but she's also, it sounds like, a bit unbalanced anyway. If it happened it sounds like it did not break skin.
Anyway - he was commenting this AM about getting an electric collar for the dog. I sent him a link to NILIF. They've never done this with the dog.
My theory is that they must respect you before they'll listen to you at all, I've learned this after fostering and working with hundreds of dogs, through my own observation. Once you establish yourself as leader you can train easier that is.
Anyway - anyone else got suggestions other than avoidance of the situation and NILIF? Apparently there's no plans to fence the home (they live with my sister and her husband).
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » January 27th, 2007, 11:34 pm

I just have a warning:
It sounds like the dog has had free reign for a few years with your parents. When they do start to enforce NILIF (which IMHO needs to happen ASAP) they are going to be met head on by a very pissed off dog. When they try to tell the dog what to do he will be very likely to actually bite them, saying "How dare you correct me? I correct you, I own you. Get it?" so they need to be ready for that.

Strict NILIF. Crate time. On leash and attached to a human if not in crate.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » January 28th, 2007, 2:48 am

Thanks, that's what they are doing now (leashed to them).
I don't think he's that dominant with them but then again it's been a few years since I've seen him. I feel really bad, since I BOUGHT it for them-he's a petstore dog although I did not purchase him from a pet store, his former owners DID. I simply told them that if they did not care about the dog (and they didn't) they should get rid of him and they didn't, and didn't, and didn't vaccinate him OR alter him. Then when my folks' dog died (another Mini Schnauzer I'd gotten from the shelter) I went to the idiots who owned Mr. T and asked them if I could *ahem* have him, but after telling them for 6 mos. they needed to ask an adoption fee, I felt I had to give them something for him. :oops:
Anyway. He's a brat and that's the bottom line. I think he just doesn't have guidance, period.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » January 28th, 2007, 6:34 am

On January 28 2007, msvette2u wrote: He's a brat and that's the bottom line. I think he just doesn't have guidance, period.

Dad or the dog?

LMAO
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby msvette2u » January 28th, 2007, 1:10 pm

On January 28 2007, iluvk9 wrote:
On January 28 2007, msvette2u wrote: He's a brat and that's the bottom line. I think he just doesn't have guidance, period.

Dad or the dog?

LMAO

BOTH!!! LMAO
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » January 28th, 2007, 3:12 pm

I think the same as Sis, hes going to be real mad when he sees another lower or equal member of his pack trying to take his leadership away.
My boyfriend and my dog have the same relationship (Os isn't that aggro about it though, just refuses to listen and its obvious he views Wes as an equal), he lets the dog start play with him all the time -and they play ROUGH- and then when he tries to get away with other stuff the corrections is over the top -IMO-, plus, he ALWAYS begs from Wes when we both eat in front of him). I tell him, it'll never get better if he always lets Os ask for things and get them. Os is done even trying stuff like that with me for the most part, because he knows I'll follow through and get up off my ass and enforce what I ask of him.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Training & Behavior