*Sigh*

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby KaylasMomJenn » January 20th, 2007, 6:33 pm

This is from another forum. Topic was
"What do you do when..."
You can't completely trust your dog.

I know that any dog can turn at any given moment. I'm confortable with that knowledge. But when you think are increasingly becoming jealous, etc?

I just feel like with Braxton, an attack may come at any given moment. With Buddy, I don't have that same fear. I feel horrible. I don't know that I'd even want to rehome him, because of this fear. I don't want to pass that fear along to another family.

Its like the step up from the "dogs can turn at any given moment". I want to rehome him, but I do'nt know I could because of how I feel.

What do you do? I am truely concern that, sooner rather then later he will lash out and hurt DD. He had gotten into fights with Buddy for appearingly no reason.

Thoughts? Opinions? Concerns?
I'm not sure what kind of dogs they are, but I'll try to find that info.
As always, thank you.
It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice!
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby KaylasMomJenn » January 20th, 2007, 6:37 pm

Buddy is going on 4 [April], and is a lab/hound mix I got him at 1 year old. Braxton will be 3 in October and is a lab/rottie mix [altough no vet agrees with the rottie part, ande say some sort of collie].

With Buddy and the SA we've used the NILIF, altough have been [very] slack. We're going to move the crate back inside for Buddy and keep him inside. I don't know if that will make this worse or better [favoratism?]

I mentioned in "Our Trip" post, that Braxton and Buddy got into a fight during meal time. For the last few weeks, i've noticed them getting into more fights, their rough playing turns into more then just play. Well, i've notice a few cuts and such on Buddy due to their rough play. Buddy will fight going outside, the last week or 2. Today, both ears are covered in cuts/dried blood, and I just clicked that he's refusing to go out could be related to the extreme rough housing.

So, what do I do? Try to seperate them 1 crate one outside, get rid of Braxton, try something else? Braxton, is fine around Hailey and kids, but the reason I gave Braxton to my mom in the first place was because Braxton was being mean -- not like this but growling when buddy had a toy or bone that he wanted, etc. Brax is more dominate without a doubt. Any ideas, I can't get our crate right now, b/c I can't move the stuff in front of it. And Buddy has/jhad SA, so leaving him alone IDK about. When Hailey was a few weeks old, I forgot to put him out and he was perfect for 2 hours. But i'm skeptical due to past experiences. IDEAS PLEASE!!! I'm on the verde of giving him to the humane society because Buddy is so pittaful right now, b/c of him.

I just noticed this girl is only 20. Sounds like she's very irresponsible and has no idea what she's doing. I'm very upset by all this. And she asked for "NO Negative Answers" PFFFT!
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 20th, 2007, 7:17 pm

I'm honestly not really following the posts, but there is NO EXCUSE for dumping a dog at the shelter because you (I know, not you) are to lazy to set up a crate and rotate schedule. If the dogs are coming in bloody all the time, what the hell is she doing letting them out together.

I'm not sure this person should have any dogs at all.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » January 20th, 2007, 7:45 pm

I don't like it when people ask for advice yet are expecting you to tell them to do what they actually want them to do, if that makes sense :lol3:

I agree with Michelle, the answer is pretty simple. Don't let them out alone together (esp. in the yard), she should enforce her authority, tell Braxton (or show) that the behavior is not ok, and crate one of them when she's not home. Its not difficult. :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby KaylasMomJenn » January 20th, 2007, 10:09 pm

Here is some more info. I feel bad for her, but it really sounds like she is in over her head with responsibility. (And didn't pay attention much in school either, apparently.)

I figured i'd PM ya instead of posting publiclly. Some back history is, my mom had him from puppyhood to about 2 years old. We've had him for the last year and half. My mom never socialized him or brought him around other people or animals. Her b/f had a rotti, that was basicly trained to be his "alarm system". So, he would play "games" that would/could trigger aggressive behaviors. Most of his agression is towards other dogs, not humans. He is extremely territorial. If we didn't have a 7 ft privacy fence he would have jumped over it assuming somebody walking by was trying to tresspass. We've attempted to socialize him, and its worked slightly, but then I got pregnant and just didn't have the time to devote to that task, we're basiclly back at square one. Buddy is extremely stressed because of how Braxton has been behaving. I try to disapline as I see things happen, but am often not home. For example, a few days ago Buddy was sniffing for a spot to go to the bathroom - Braxton comes and then they start fighting. He has occassionally growled at guests, even if the guest doesn't approach him or whatnot. He also is very uptight with Hailey being even in the same room. Right now, he's upstairs with me, Hailey is downstairs he's relaxed and content I have no worries. But if Hailey were up here, not bothering him [IE in her pack-n-play or DH holding her on the bed] he would tense up and just obviously uncomfortable. At first he was really good about her, he would check on her in her bassinet, and otherwise took a genuine interest in what this new creature was. We did everything possible that all the experts say reguarding introducing a new family member.

I mean, he is a good dog. But he's started displaying alot of aggressiveness. And even if its not towards humans, how can I trust that he wont do it to humans? Does that make sense. I know that dogs can turn at any given moment, i'm not stupid enough to think otherwise. But the feeling I have with him is beyound that. Perhaps, we just have to little space, and he's not being mentally challenged enough. But its cold outside and its hard to take them for walks like i'd like to. Perhaps thats part of the problem, and that my mom's bf the behavior was acceptable. I feel like i'm making him out to be a monster, he is a good dog. I know he's a good dog. I know that once Hailey is a bit bigger he'll be fine, or we have a bigger place and we all aren't so "on top of each other". We have no room for crates right now, so they don't really have a place to "excape" to. We're stuck here for at least another year - so we've gotta figure something out. I refuse to turn him over to a shelter, and I'm not hopeful with trying to rehome him. Would even having a bigger place help?
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » January 20th, 2007, 10:25 pm

On January 20 2007, KaylasMomJenn wrote:I figured i'd PM ya instead of posting publiclly.

Jenn, if this person sent you this pm, you might want to think about editing it or deleting part of it here? If they see or hear you posted it on another forum, they might not want to confide in you again, and then you won't be able to offer support. Maybe just edit out the dog's names.

Just guessing here. :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » January 20th, 2007, 10:41 pm

he does NOT sound like a good dog. The way I read it, she is making excuses for the dog and herself as well.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby dogged » January 21st, 2007, 9:28 am

I am assuming the dogs tolerate each other until put in situations that cause fight like the "DUH" stuff: feeding them together, letting them rough house, letting them have high value toys/treats together, leaving them alone together, etc.

Well, i've notice a few cuts and such on Buddy due to their rough play.

Then they're not playing. There can be accidents here and there, but dogs have exceptional control over their mouths.

As for the rough play: NO MORE. This has gone waaay past a "let them work it out" situation. No more excuses. They're not "just playing" here. The owner needs to step in and sort it all out for them. If she wants them to play and is willing to take the risk and precautions, fine. I would NOT recommend letting them play with "full tanks" of energy. My dogs cannot. They get exercise (treadmill, fetch, tug and--hopefully soon--biking) and then they're allowed some light play in the house. Emphasis on light. For my house, letting my dogs get all their energy out with each other is asking for it. High arousal levels can easily turn to fights. This is another point I should call out...The owner mentioned that Baxter was/is extremely territorial. If he is that way, then both dogs should not be outside together off leash. Someone walking by or something making a loud noise could set Baxter off and he could easily redirect on the other dog. The owner either needs to get the territorial-ness under control, or not have the dogs outside together off leash.

The owner also needs to get amazing, turn-on-a-dime recalls with these dogs if she wants them to continue playing. The minute the play begins to escalate, she needs to recall them and put them in a down-stay for a few minutes so the dogs can get their brains about them. Then they can resume playing. If they ignore her, then the owner has a problem. Both dogs need to be grabbed (good idea: to keep long lines on them) and put in serious time
out with a cue word ("TIMEOUT!!!"). Every time. The owner must now keep an eagle eye on her dogs and watch all of their interactions. She cannot let them just have it out. The owner needs to go back to strict NILIF, too.

If the dogs go for each other right off the bat, then I would place my money on crate and rotate. If they're just fighting constantly, same answer. If she feels she cannot handle the new responsibilities, same answer. I would strongly recommened the dogs take time away from each other (C&R) while the owner creates a game plan to deal with this situation.

That said, it would probably be best to contact a behaviorist to come and evaluate the situation hands-on. I would not want to rehome this dog myself, as he has shown aggression to people.

I do feel bad for this owner. She sounds very overwhelmed with the whole situation, understandably. I wish the owner luck. Inter-dog aggression can be difficult to deal with and is very stressful.
dogged
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby KaylasMomJenn » January 21st, 2007, 10:50 am

Joyce, this is on a way different forum (meaning it has nothing to do with dogs) so I'd put money on the fact that she has no idea I'm posting on PBT (or even that PBT exists).

I sent her a super long email giving her my suggestions. I have also included everyone else's suggestions, too. I just hope she follows through. This stuff just pulls at my heartstrings.

Thank you all for your advice.
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » January 21st, 2007, 2:45 pm

On January 21 2007, KaylasMomJenn wrote:Joyce, this is on a way different forum (meaning it has nothing to do with dogs)

Tell me you are on the General Hospital Forum, TOO!!!! :bananaDance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Training & Behavior