Working your dog at the wrong time

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » January 2nd, 2007, 3:15 pm

I would just like to post a reminder to everyone:

never pick up your dog's leash if you are not your "normal" self. if you are anxious, "wound up" or in a bad mood, those emotions travel down the leash to your dog. The dog then reacts to those emotions, and that may make you react inappropriately to your dog (harder corrections, unfair reward/witholding of rewards). It turns into a cycle and you will have an overall negative time with your dog.

If you are having a bad day, skip a day of working with your dog. It's better to have him/her go unexercised than damage your relationship.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmypitties » January 2nd, 2007, 3:42 pm

Good post!!!!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 2nd, 2007, 3:52 pm

People might as well learn / be reminded from my mistakes! :| :)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » January 2nd, 2007, 4:01 pm

On 01/02/2007 11:52 AM, mnp13 wrote:People might as well learn / be reminded from my mistakes! :| :)

You aren't alone.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Malli » January 2nd, 2007, 4:23 pm

nope, I done it, too. :greenWave: And more then once. And its not nearly as easy to fix as it is to do in the first place.

well said
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » January 2nd, 2007, 4:27 pm

It's easy to break trust, it takes FOREVER to gain it back. One bad session can create months of work.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » January 2nd, 2007, 4:30 pm

yep, I think thats why we don't really do training sessions any more, we're in a good place right now and I'm worried I'll screw it up. :shock:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » January 2nd, 2007, 5:10 pm

On January 02 2007, mnp13 wrote:never pick up your dog's leash if you are not your "normal" self.

Poor Cheekymunkee will never be able to pick up her dog's leash.... :laugh1:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » January 2nd, 2007, 6:35 pm

normal is based on your own baseline. her "normal" is just a little than the rest of the world's
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » January 2nd, 2007, 6:59 pm

On January 02 2007, mnp13 wrote:normal is based on your own baseline. her "normal" is just a little than the rest of the world's

Ahhhhhh.....I get it now.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » January 2nd, 2007, 7:34 pm

When I get better & remember how to do it I am soo gagging you!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » January 2nd, 2007, 7:37 pm

:topic:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Big_Ant » January 2nd, 2007, 7:43 pm

On 01/02/2007 3:34 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:I am soo gagging you!!

I would so take a cheap shot at her, but I know for a fact I would get banned if I said it, so I'll just let your imagination do the work!!! :twisted:

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 2nd, 2007, 7:45 pm

On January 02 2007, Big_Ant wrote:
On 01/02/2007 3:34 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:I am soo gagging you!!

I would so take a cheap shot at her, but I know for a fact I would get banned if I said it, so I'll just let your imagination do the work!!! :twisted:

- Anthony

Rumor has it you are on a hot streak with the getting banned thing. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » January 2nd, 2007, 7:50 pm

Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » January 3rd, 2007, 1:14 pm

On January 02 2007, mnp13 wrote:I would just like to post a reminder to everyone:

never pick up your dog's leash if you are not your "normal" self. if you are anxious, "wound up" or in a bad mood, those emotions travel down the leash to your dog. The dog then reacts to those emotions, and that may make you react inappropriately to your dog (harder corrections, unfair reward/witholding of rewards). It turns into a cycle and you will have an overall negative time with your dog.

If you are having a bad day, skip a day of working with your dog. It's better to have him/her go unexercised than damage your relationship.

I need to remember this at a certain time of the month :oops:
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » January 3rd, 2007, 1:32 pm

Very good post. Something I need to remember more often . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby katiek0417 » January 3rd, 2007, 3:36 pm

However, I will say that I'm typically pretty lax with my dogs. When I'm in a bad mood, I wouldn't necessarily make them pay for it, but I'll say that I'm more consistent with my training (and corrections). So, for me, it's not always a bad thing to train them when I'm in a bad mood, or stressed, etc...
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Leslie H » January 3rd, 2007, 9:28 pm

As much of Soleil's weight pull training is outside, dependent upon daylight minutes left when I get home, and weather, I really don't get to pick and choose. However, because she now has a solid foundation, what I'm asking is relatively easy (hard physical work, minimal mental). As a result, it goes well, and I wind up in a better mood anyway. There's nothing like a good training session to pick me up.
So, I guess it depends on what you're asking, as well as your mood.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby babyreba » January 3rd, 2007, 9:40 pm

the dog's mood too . . . there are days when doc's not into whatever we're doing, and i start out in a great mood but find myself losing patience when he starts stuffing his face into the bait bag to help himself to treats rather than perform for a reward.

this morning's session was so frustrating for both of us that i decided to give him tonight off!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Training & Behavior