Crazy pup on walks!!!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby LegendsMami » December 21st, 2006, 10:28 pm

My pup Gemyni is 18 weeks old. When I take her out on her own she's terrible on leash and will run digging down deep and yanking Just H3ll On Four legs. She's worst when I take Legend along. I trained Legend and he has no problems on leash except when Gemyni's there. She jumps on him and he wants nothing to do with her on walks. He is allowed to loose leash walk or he'll walk by my side which I don't have a problem with. Gemyni is just all over the place. I absolutely hate walking her but do it anyway. 2 times a day. I know crazy! lol...She will be enrolled in OB class after she gets her kennel cough shot. She knows most basic commands EXCEPT how to walk nicely on a leash. I've tried the Gentle Leader she just thrases around acts up. I've tried standing still until she stops pulling every step. I've tried walking turning in the opposite direction fast when she starts pulling. I've tried carrying treats to keep her attention. NOTHING has worked w/ a buckle collar on her. So I was wondering about a Martingale. Should I use this one that's all nylon or te one with the chain for the sound effect. I've never had to use training collars on a dog as young as her. So I don't know whats okay to use on her. Any advice is welcome!
"When it comes to pit bulls the monster is often the two legged animal at the other end of the leash!"
LegendsMami
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » December 21st, 2006, 10:43 pm

Have you done any handler awareness exercises with her?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvmyangels » December 21st, 2006, 10:51 pm

My dog had major issues with pulling to the point he was making my back go out of whack. He went through obedience and we decided to put him on a prong and he walks like a prince now. I recently got him a martingale with hopes that he would walk well on it and he is horrible on it. The martingale I got is 2" nylon and it does not do anything to stop him. So we will be going back to the prong.

I am sure you can not wait for the obedience class to start. Best of luck!!

Happy Holidays!!
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby LegendsMami » December 21st, 2006, 11:11 pm

On December 21 2006, 9:43 PM, SisMorphine wrote:Have you done any handler awareness exercises with her?

The only thing I've done with her started her w/ basic commands and the NILIF method. She is also to sit/down(and have been working on stay) before going through any doorways and up/down any stairs, and when I stop walking on leash.
"When it comes to pit bulls the monster is often the two legged animal at the other end of the leash!"
LegendsMami
Just Whelped

Postby LegendsMami » December 21st, 2006, 11:13 pm

On December 21 2006, 9:43 PM, SisMorphine wrote:Have you done any handler awareness exercises with her?

The only thing I've done with her started her w/ basic commands and the NILIF method. She is also to sit/down(and have been working on stay) before going through any doorways and up/down any stairs, and when I stop walking on leash
LegendsMami
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » December 21st, 2006, 11:54 pm

On December 21 2006, 11:13 PM, LegendsMami wrote:

The only thing I've done with her started her w/ basic commands and the NILIF method. She is also to sit/down(and have been working on stay) before going through any doorways and up/down any stairs, and when I stop walking on leash

Take her for a walk and anytime she is just about to hit the end of the leash, you do a quick about turn and walk briskly the other way. Keep heading that way until she's about to hit the end of the leash again and then do an about turn and walk briskly the other way. When she hits the end of the leash she is essentially correcting herself for not following you. This makes the dog fully aware that THEY aren't in control of the walk and they need to pay attention to the person at the other end of the leash. It's not necessarily a "cure all" but it's a place to start, and frankly it's a good thing to do for ANY dog with ANY problem. Don't talk to the dog while you do this, don't give commands, just do it. If she is walking next to you nicely on a loose lead you can praise her, but don't praise her too much because she'll probably get super excited and just start acting crazy again. A quick "good girl" to let her know she's right will suffice.

Say good-bye to walking them at the same time for a while. I have to walk my two seperately because Mike needs A LOT of handler awareness, while Wally walks very nicely on a loose lead.

It's simple, give it a try tomorrow and see how it works for her.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby LegendsMami » December 22nd, 2006, 12:32 am

On December 21 2006, 10:54 PM, SisMorphine wrote:

Take her for a walk and anytime she is just about to hit the end of the leash, you do a quick about turn and walk briskly the other way. Keep heading that way until she's about to hit the end of the leash again and then do an about turn and walk briskly the other way. When she hits the end of the leash she is essentially correcting herself for not following you. This makes the dog fully aware that THEY aren't in control of the walk and they need to pay attention to the person at the other end of the leash. It's not necessarily a "cure all" but it's a place to start, and frankly it's a good thing to do for ANY dog with ANY problem. Don't talk to the dog while you do this, don't give commands, just do it. If she is walking next to you nicely on a loose lead you can praise her, but don't praise her too much because she'll probably get super excited and just start acting crazy again. A quick "good girl" to let her know she's right will suffice.

Say good-bye to walking them at the same time for a while. I have to walk my two seperately because Mike needs A LOT of handler awareness, while Wally walks very nicely on a loose lead.

I will definitely try it tomorrow if it wasnt for the fact its cold out I'd try it now! lol.
Do you think it would be too much of a distraction if I had someone walk Legend while I walked her and tried this? Legend needs a 2-5 mile walk at least 3-5 times a week or he's crazy inside or zooming around the backyard(supervised they are not allowed out unless I'm out there w/ them). Gemyni needs to be taken one at least 1.5 miles or she has the zoomies every other hour! Its not like she's in a crate all day. I work 8 hrs but split up 4 hours in the morning come home and then 4 hours in the afternoon and most of the time they are played with and watched by a family member.(I hate leaving them at home w/ nothing to do)
LegendsMami
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » December 22nd, 2006, 12:37 am

On December 22 2006, 12:32 AM, LegendsMami wrote:
On December 21 2006, 10:54 PM, SisMorphine wrote:

I will definitely try it tomorrow if it wasnt for the fact its cold out I'd try it now! lol.
Do you think it would be too much of a distraction if I had someone walk Legend while I walked her and tried this? Legend needs a 2-5 mile walk at least 3-5 times a week or he's crazy inside or zooming around the backyard(supervised they are not allowed out unless I'm out there w/ them). Gemyni needs to be taken one at least 1.5 miles or she has the zoomies every other hour! Its not like she's in a crate all day. I work 8 hrs but split up 4 hours in the morning come home and then 4 hours in the afternoon and most of the time they are played with and watched by a family member.(I hate leaving them at home w/ nothing to do)

I think you'll find it to be difficult because you may walk for 30 minutes with Legend and make it pretty far, and you may walk 30 minutes with Gem and make it only to the end of the street since you'll have to keep changing direction any time she hits the end of the leash. Whenever she's being good just keep going straight. It's a difficult way to "take a walk" especially when you have a planned out route (oh yes, I have planned out routes, lol) but it is the most effective. And definitely easier to do it just one on one. You can start out with someone walking Legend but I think you'll find that you part ways pretty quickly :)
SisMorphine

Postby mnp13 » December 22nd, 2006, 12:41 am

She's a little young for a prong collar in my opinion, but what Sis is describing is similar to the "15 minutes to leash manners" that is stickied at the top of this section. You can do it with a martingale with no problem

Oh, and I would go with the all nylon martingale. You want your dog to respect you, not the collar - so the "chain" is just going to alert your dog that he is being trained.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LegendsMami » December 22nd, 2006, 1:21 am

Thanks! I will definitely try it and see how things go! I'll report back if its working or not. :)
LegendsMami
Just Whelped

Postby LegendsMami » December 22nd, 2006, 4:54 pm

ITS WORKING!!!!! :elephant: :D . We did it twice today already. They have another walk around 6:30-7. She doesnt pull as hard when she tries to get in front of me. I'll just take it day by day! Thanks guys!!!!!! :D
LegendsMami
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » December 22nd, 2006, 5:50 pm

On December 22 2006, 4:54 PM, LegendsMami wrote:ITS WORKING!!!!! :elephant: :D . We did it twice today already. They have another walk around 6:30-7. She doesnt pull as hard when she tries to get in front of me. I'll just take it day by day! Thanks guys!!!!!! :D

No problem :) I'm glad you're starting to see some improvement. :D
SisMorphine

Return to Training & Behavior