It Only Took A Year....

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby BigDogBuford » December 10th, 2006, 11:42 pm

But look who's finally crate trained!

I'll have you notice the open door, too. This is the dog who first left alone in my car, ate a bit of the dashboard. :x We tried to crate him and when we came home, he'd somehow teleported out of the plastic airline crate and courteously latched the door behind him. :|

When he was adopted he was returned after they tried to put him in a crate and he broke out and pooped on their bed. (Not that I blame him.)

With Michelle's help we started working with him almost a year ago. We started by feeding him in the crate and letting him chew on super yummy treats only while in the crate. We did that for months and then I eventually just tethered him next to the crate while I rotated other dogs through it. Let him see that it really wasn't the torture he was convinced it was. Now he voluntarily goes in there....it's his little safe spot.

Yay for Doogie!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » December 11th, 2006, 12:33 am

I'm so glad to hear that it worked!!

Mr. Riggs got out of his crate today, I guess I need to start following my own advice! lol

We tried to crate him and when we came home, he'd somehow teleported out of the plastic airline crate and courteously latched the door behind him.

:fastRoll:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » December 11th, 2006, 12:43 am

On December 10 2006, mnp13 wrote:
We tried to crate him and when we came home, he'd somehow teleported out of the plastic airline crate and courteously latched the door behind him.

Yeah, it was pretty trippy.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby SisMorphine » December 11th, 2006, 9:41 am

On December 11 2006, 12:43 AM, BigDogBuford wrote:
On December 10 2006, mnp13 wrote:

Yeah, it was pretty trippy.

I had one who did that. He couldn't break out of the metal crates, but somehow managed to always break out of the vari-kennel. Weird dog.

And yay!! What a happy pup all snuggled in the kennel. You must be so psyched :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » December 11th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Yay Doogie!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » December 11th, 2006, 3:17 pm

CONGRATS!!!
Jenn
undecided

Return to Training & Behavior