nervous, nervous, nervous

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby babyreba » December 7th, 2006, 6:22 pm

In 2 hours Doc will have his first "formal" training session with me and a trainer who is coming to my house. Our goal is to whip his obedience into shape so we can get his (and my) commands firmed up, get him a CGC, then maybe get him into a sport . . . maybe pulling, maybe the big oaf will be able to play at agility, I don't know yet. But before I start him in any of those arenas, I want a sound and reliable obedience base even at the height of distraction.

I'm nervous because Doc tends to forget everything he knews when new people come around and has a very, very hard time focusing when he's excited. So this will be a good way to both push him and teach him at the same time. I've been working hard with him in preparation for starting these lessons, and we've done really well with long downs in public places, like parks and on the sidewalk and stuff. Now the real test will be how well he performs with the added pressure of another person interacting with us.

Wish me luck, people, I'm afraid Doc and I will need it tonight!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » December 7th, 2006, 6:24 pm

BEST OF LUCK ERIN!! You two will do great!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » December 7th, 2006, 6:27 pm

Fingers crossed and good thoughts sent! :wink:

Let us know how it goes!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ellie@ny » December 7th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Good luck! And don't forget,most times the owners need more training then the dogs...lol
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby iluvk9 » December 7th, 2006, 7:32 pm

GOOD LUCK! And just repeat: "At least I am not bringing Truman".
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 7th, 2006, 7:33 pm

You don't need luck - you both will be fine. Just let us know chaos occurs! I mean, um, let us know how well you both do! :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby babyreba » December 7th, 2006, 9:43 pm

i'm so proud of doc. he was awesome. at first, he was super distracted and popped up every 30 seconds from his down-stays because he was so confused and excited, but after he figured out what we were doing and that he had a role in it, he tried so hard to do what i asked him. by the end of our session, he was resisting the temptation to hop up and get attention from rob or the trainer or to see what was going on when people walked by.

we have a lot of work to do, and i actually saw how my timing is off and kinda not clear enough for him, so hopefully we'll make some good progress with this one-on-one attention.

i'm very happy tonight!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » December 7th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Yea! Sounds like you both learned a lot!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » December 8th, 2006, 8:11 am

On December 07 2006, 9:43 PM, babyreba wrote:we have a lot of work to do, and i actually saw how my timing is off and kinda not clear enough for him, so hopefully we'll make some good progress with this one-on-one attention.

i'm very happy tonight!

I live in the world of off timing . . . welcome :greenWave:

That's great that he did so well, and I'm sure the trainer was happy to see that you already had some obedience on him already.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby babyreba » December 8th, 2006, 8:54 am

yeah, she was pleased that he had his basics down already. in the notes she left behind for me, she said that his "obedience looks good, foundation is nice." i'm glad she was able to see that, since i wasn't really sure doc would calm down enough to show her what he could already do.

did i mention how happy i was with him last night? he was a good dog!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » December 8th, 2006, 12:16 pm

I'm happy FOR you! He's a great dog & you are a wonderful owner. Of COURSE he did well!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Training & Behavior