retrieves

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby brooksybrooks1 » December 3rd, 2006, 6:21 pm

my dog is an awesome retriever of balls and stuff when playing but i need to start going about teaching him formal retrieves where he doesn't consider the object a toy but rather something he has to pick up, hold tightly, bring it back to me, and not let go until i tell him to. i don't want to do forced retrieves at all, so i'm looking for more inductive advice. i already have him biting a wood dowel when instructed, but how to have him keep it in his mouth without chewing? THANKS!
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby luvmypitties » December 12th, 2006, 3:35 pm

I work with Labs who are trained on a high level of retrieving skills. They are some of the best in the country. The trainer/owner does force training with them. It is not a fun task and I hate the way it is done. She teaches commands. I guess to go about it in a way that is not forced would be to stick commands on it. The trainer uses retrieve and hold it. They are taught this after they know how to heel and sit and come. What she does is she uses bumpers 9the white things on a string) and has them laying on the ground. She will wlak the dog around in a heel and say retrieve. the dog must then pick it up. Once it is in the mouth she says hold it. Continures to walk around in a heel until she tells the dog to sit and then she takes it from the dog. If the dog is to drop it she uses force behid it but sticks the bumper back in the mouth and taps the bottom jaw so it holds onto the bumper and says hold it. and they continue. This is done over and over. Until you can throw the bumper and the dog will retrieve on command and hold it until you say. If you have any more specific questions let me know. I have been around this for awhile now so i know her training tricks and such.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior