Introducing dog to new baby advice here!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby SpiritFngrz » November 29th, 2006, 12:18 pm

So this is a spinoff from a thread in Pit Bull talk about introducing the dog to the new baby. Ideas for teaching the dog the baby is a positive thing-
any more ideas, post them here, I need all the ideas I can get!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Hoyden » November 29th, 2006, 1:07 pm

When I get home, I'll pull out my journal and post what we did with Petey.

We started about three or four months before Gremlin was born getting him ready for an incoming baby.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby vaughanjaala » November 29th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Im actually not too sure about this! I a due in March and have been thinking about this also. Diego is used to kids and babies. We just tell him to go easy, baby, and he does. We just held his collar, put him in a down and told him easy and he got it. Hope the rest of my dogs are that easy!
~Jaala~
vaughanjaala
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » November 29th, 2006, 7:34 pm

I suggest going to see my friend Becky for one of her seminars!

:D
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Big_Ant » November 29th, 2006, 7:43 pm

On 11/29/2006 3:34 PM, SisMorphine wrote:I suggest going to see my friend Becky for one of her seminars!

Hmmm . . . I just googled "Becky" and it returned this result:

"Damn, can you be a little more descriptive. I know 6 Becky(s) personally. One is kinda cross-eyed, so she might not be the one, but still, can you be more descriptive?"

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Marinepits » November 29th, 2006, 7:50 pm

:spit:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » November 29th, 2006, 7:52 pm

On November 29 2006, 7:43 PM, Big_Ant wrote:
On 11/29/2006 3:34 PM, SisMorphine wrote:I suggest going to see my friend Becky for one of her seminars!

Hmmm . . . I just googled "Becky" and it returned this result:

"Damn, can you be a little more descriptive. I know 6 Becky(s) personally. One is kinda cross-eyed, so she might not be the one, but still, can you be more descriptive?"

- Anthony

Oh you hush.

Here's the link to her Baby on Board seminar page.
http://www.pawsitivestepsk9.com/pawsiti ... nboard.htm

ETA: For anyone in the area who may be looking into this course: Becky grew up with an APBT and now is heavily involved in Rottie rescue. So if she does have any biases it's FOR our favorite dogs, not against them.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Hoyden » November 29th, 2006, 8:26 pm

BEFORE BABY: Part I

To make sure Petey felt included in the baby preparations, we included him in as much as we could.

I picked up a bunch of dog treats and dog toys at a sale at Pet Supplies Plus and kept them in my truck.

The method to my madness was big items or big shopping trip for baby = toy for dog. Small bags of stuff = bone/biscuit for dog. I put it right into the bag, and let him help me unpack the goods and find his treat.

As my tummy got larger, we encouraged him to put his head in my lap and didn't push him away when he sniffered my belly. He used to lay his head on my tummy or snuggle up against it. He used to nudge my belly with is nose and Gremlin would kick him, he'd move to the other side and do it again.

When I bought recieving blankets, sheets and burp rags, I got an extra one for him.

We set up the crib about a month before I was due so he would be used to it. We let him jump in and investigate it, then he slept in it for a couple nights. Then when the novelty wore off, I put a life sized doll in it.

About two months before my due date, we started getting ourselves in the habit of EACH of us giving him 15 minutes of undivided attention each day.

We used to hold and rock the baby doll so Petey would get used to us having a baby and learn to be aware of it. He used to barrel into our laps and jump around alot, so we wanted to him to start LOOKING before jumping on us. We told him that the baby was HIS baby, and made a big deal when he was gentle.

We also took any opportunity to introduce him to babies.

We made arrangements at Petey's favorite kennel to board him when I went to the hospital.

After Gremlin was born, Mark picked up Petey and brought him home and gave him the blanket that we had the Gremlin sleep in the first night. He didn't want the blanket, he insisted on LOOKING for the baby. Mark said he was like, "Well, where IS the baby?"

When we came home from the hospital, one of the first things we did was Mark sat on the couch holding the Gremlin in his arms and invited Petey up to meet her and sniffer her over, which he did. He actually pulled off her socks and licked her feet.

Part II later
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby SpiritFngrz » November 30th, 2006, 9:54 am

On November 29 2006, SisMorphine wrote:I suggest going to see my friend Becky for one of her seminars!

I know, I totally would, except I doubt I could make it to Methuen on a Thursday night! Too bad it is not on a weekend.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » November 30th, 2006, 9:54 am

On November 30 2006, 9:54 AM, SpiritFngrz wrote:
On November 29 2006, SisMorphine wrote:I suggest going to see my friend Becky for one of her seminars!

I know, I totally would, except I doubt I could make it to Methuen on a Thursday night! Too bad it is not on a weekend.

I think it's worth it to give her a call and see if she ever plans on doing it on a different day. She might have other people interested in a Saturday also, who knows?
SisMorphine

Postby SpiritFngrz » November 30th, 2006, 10:01 am

Great stuff Noel! I can't wait for Satin to feel the kicks- she is going to be baffled. Last month I rented a home doppler and when Satin heard the baby's heartbeat for the first time it was so hilarious, she kept tilting her head from side to side so confused. Then she got used to it.
I know this is going to be "her" baby and she'll want to be involved just like a big sister. From the babies she has seen she is so gentle around them, so I can't wait to see her with the baby.

These are great ideas! Anyone who has stories keep 'em coming!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Hoyden » November 30th, 2006, 11:43 am

I forgot this BEFORE part.

We started talking walks with the doll & a 5lb. bag or sugar in the stroller with Petey on a leash. We wanted him to get used to the stroller, how it moves, what space it occupied and learn not to pull when we walked him with the stroller.

We gave our neighbors a heads up and asked them to pet Petey FIRST, then pay attention to the "baby".

This worked out great. When I was finally able to walk and push the stroller, almost a year later, Petey walked right along side, didn't pull and seemed like he enjoyed showing everyone "his" baby.

By that point the Gremlin had learned that if she threw things, Petey would retrieve them and give them back to her, so that made walks interesting until I got smart enough to use "toy leashes" to attach her toys to the stroller.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Return to Training & Behavior