just bought a prong collar...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Gatsu » November 8th, 2006, 4:42 pm

here are some pics of it on Shiva, the woman at the store said not to go any smaller on the prongs. Would hurt her too much...

If it looks too tight, i have 4 prongs that i took out to make it fit her. Just want to know if it looks right, well placed...etc...

The marks i guess are from her pulling in the store while i was trying it on. .... I guess its mainly doing that because of the lack of fur?

Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 8th, 2006, 4:46 pm

That looks a little too tight to me. I'd add one more link. It should not be digging in so hard that it makes marks when she is not being corrected by it. Even then, You don't want it to damage her skin.

The placement looks correct to me.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Gatsu » November 8th, 2006, 4:59 pm

i added a link, it falls a bit. I guess shes in between sizes. took some pics of it on... u'll be a better judge than I.

Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 8th, 2006, 5:06 pm

That's a size large, isn't it? I'd go down at least one size. both Riggs, Connor and Ruby are on small collars. My opinion, return it and get the smaller one.

The collars hurt no matter what, and you adjust the strength of the correction according to the needs of your dog.

You may have to HAUL on that collar to deliver a proper correction, you may only have to twitch one finger. It's the exact same with a smaller link collar. You always tailor the correction to your dog.

With smaller links you can "fine tune" the fit much easier.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Gatsu » November 8th, 2006, 5:09 pm

its final sale.....:S i asked before i left i could she said unfortunately its final sale....

BAH!!!!
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 8th, 2006, 5:11 pm

crap...

go back and talk to the manager and tell them that you were given bad advice by their employee and need a smaller size. that might work.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Gatsu » November 8th, 2006, 5:14 pm

she was the manager.....
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 8th, 2006, 5:19 pm

oh... I guess I can't help you then!

Maybe put a post in the Marketplace section, someone may need one.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Gatsu » November 8th, 2006, 5:21 pm

i just got it maybe if i flirt with her...... i can get her to exchange it...
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 8th, 2006, 5:26 pm

My first time buying a prong the saleslady gave me bad advice as well - she also told me to get a large. Once I switched Inara to the small, the difference was amazing!
Go work your mojo and see if she'll let you exchange it - it's not like you want your money back...it might work! Good luck!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby HappyPuppy » November 8th, 2006, 6:09 pm

What's the theory on using a smaller prong collar/size than the large? I'm sure I have a large one too...
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Gatsu » November 8th, 2006, 6:31 pm

i took pics of the small.... i'll post. y the looks of them the small one looked like it would pierce the skin. It was super tiny.

I actually have the medium one.

i didnt get it, it really looked TOO small, the prong were almost like needles...
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Gatsu » November 8th, 2006, 6:36 pm

here are the pics....

sorry if they're not great, they were taken with my phone...
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 8th, 2006, 7:05 pm

I have a small for Riggs, it doesn't pierce his skin. Dogs have EXTREMELY tough neck skin and you would have to correct the dog VERY VERY hard to hurt them with regualr prongs.

The smaller prongs allow for a better fit and they give a more efficient correction. A more efficient correction means you have to correct with less force and less often.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Gatsu » November 8th, 2006, 7:08 pm

force isnt an issue im used to almost pulling her in the air when she goes into prey mode (shes in a harness) I can handle it. But will it still work for training the one i have?
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 8th, 2006, 7:50 pm

On November 08 2006, 18:08, Gatsu wrote:force isnt an issue im used to almost pulling her in the air when she goes into prey mode (shes in a harness) I can handle it. But will it still work for training the one i have?

Force is an issue with a prong collar - I'm not concerned about you, I'm concerned about her. You do not want to over correct. You need to pay close attention, especially at first, to the strength of the correction you need to use. You can give some major corrections with a harness and not do damage to the dog. A prong collar is a different matter.

Sure, you can still use that collar. It is not ideal, but it will still work.

To give an example, my neice was able to walk Ruby when she was 4 years old. Ruby is good on leash, but Julia was able to give her proper corrections... and Ruby weighed at least 15 more pounds than she did.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Gatsu » November 8th, 2006, 8:00 pm

its only i whos walks her. i dont trust anyone else in my family to do it. Incompetent
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 8th, 2006, 8:06 pm

On November 08 2006, 19:00, Gatsu wrote:its only i whos walks her. i dont trust anyone else in my family to do it. Incompetent

Well, of course I walked with her!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Gatsu » November 8th, 2006, 8:09 pm

no i know lol.

im just saying none one here even thinks of taking out shiva, even if im at work or school, "its ur dog". which is fine. But then they complain that the dog doesnt listen to them, and get mad. oh well

gonna start the training in like 10-15 min
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » November 9th, 2006, 3:56 pm

I use mediums (3.0 mm prongs) on both my dogs. I was using the small on my mal, but my boyfriend/trainer wanted her in the bigger one b/c the links and chain on the small are sometimes not as strong (not as thick)...he's seen, one too many times, someone go to give their dog a "hard correction" and they pop out of the collar....within a week, that's what happened....
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Next

Return to Training & Behavior