Riggs' Agility Class - SCORE!!!!!!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » October 26th, 2006, 12:11 pm

Our first class was last night. The last class I took with him was the OB class to work on exercises for the CD. It bordered on disaster, the teacher was very uncomfortable with Riggs and he started haveing some "behavorial" problems which almost got us kicked out.

The woman who teaches this class is AWESOME! She does Jack Russel rescue, so she is used to stubborn Terriers with attitude. I got nothing but compliments on him and she offered me some suggestions.

I went to send Riggs through the weave poles (they are open right now) and when I said "target" he was pretty sure I was "Schnauzer" and turned twards him. Uh... so I redirected him and we tried again. The teacher shrugged and said "Well, that'll happen." Of course, I'm sure it would have been a different reaction if I hadn't been paying attention to what he was doing, but I was so it doesn't matter.

He was totally into the target - and carried it off more than once. I even managed to give him treats from my hand without him getting over excited and taking fingers and hotdog at the same time.

The teacher stressed that we were not there to socialize the dogs, we were there to train and the dogs were not to interact. We only had one close call, when the Golden decided he was going to jump on Riggs. I was alert, as was the Golden's owner so he was stopped mid jump, while I lifted Riggs back by the collar. Good stuff - it's nice to have other people actually pay attention to what their dogs are doing.

I also spoke to her about Fly Ball; since she teaches the class and competes. She said it would be difficult with Riggs because of all the dogs running around, but with the amount of ball drive he has he might be able to do it. The next class will be in a few weeks (hopefully) so I'm going to see how it goes. Maybe it will help with his mouth eye coordination, I can only hope!

Riggs and the Golden are the oldest dogs in the class, Riggs is 5 1/2 and the Golden is 9. The rest are puppies. Luckily everyone has a good deal of control, especially considering the age of the dogs.

I'm really glad I entered the class, and I'm hoping she will be able to point me in the direction of the teachers that will be more willing to work with him instead of being intimidated by him.
Last edited by mnp13 on November 2nd, 2006, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » October 26th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Sounds great, good luck!! 8)
Jenn
undecided

Postby SisMorphine » October 26th, 2006, 2:44 pm

I'm glad to hear the teacher doesn't suck!! That's going to help a lot :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » November 2nd, 2006, 11:19 am

The second class was last night, and it went just as well as last week. Riggs has no issues with any of the equiptment - not that I'm surprised! I sent him over the wobble board and I don't think he even noticed.

We did more with the tunnel as well. It got a little "challenging" because it was in a horse shoe shape so he could see the target at the other end. The shortest route between Riggs and food is not through the tunnel... but there is a reason they are on leash at this level!

the chute was no problem either.

We started with the A, and the first thing we were supposed to do was lift the dog onto the bottom section. Well, Riggs doesn't exactly like to be picked up. He didn't even fuss! YAY! Then we put them on it in progressivly higher spots, no problems there either. He went over without an issue, except his nails are a little long (off to the tennis courts today!)

At the end of the class we did some sequences. The instructor asked the other two dogs in my group to leave the ring while Riggs was running, which was cool. She didn't do it out of being afraid of what he "might do" but out of understanding what could happen and taking steps to prevent it. He did jump, jump, tire, jump with no problem - he sure likes finding targets! lol

We have to do more target work before next week and I'm going to go buy a pile of plungers to work on weave poles in my kitchen...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 2nd, 2006, 3:56 pm

Take some pics of the plungers! That's a really creative idea!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » November 2nd, 2006, 4:09 pm

Oh, neat! That's a GREAT idea!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » November 2nd, 2006, 7:36 pm

The plungers were the instructor's idea, but it's a GREAT one... infinately adjustable!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » November 3rd, 2006, 5:34 am

Sounds like a ton of fun!
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby concreterose » November 3rd, 2006, 12:23 pm

I started off with plungers too.
I made a new set of 6 poles last month with pvc pipe...they turned out really nice. It's time to add three more so I'll have 9. Made it for under 20 bucks.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » November 4th, 2006, 12:39 pm

Sounds like you guys are off to a great start
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Training & Behavior