moving off the prong

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Malli » October 20th, 2006, 7:25 am

what steps do I take?

I usually put it on at least 1/2 hr before and after walking him on it or doing training, sometimes longer.
He has been on the prong for probably at least 6 months, and corrections are not gone, but WAY down from where they used to be with him.

Are we ready? :|
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » October 20th, 2006, 8:11 am

If you give him corrections on a flat does he respect them? That's how I would gauge it myself, though I have never gone from a prong to a flat so I can't say for sure, it just seems to make sense . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » October 20th, 2006, 12:29 pm

sort of. I kind of get the feeling that he might not for long if we switched off it.
The reason why we are on the prong in the first place is that the enormously forceful corrections I had been giving him for a long time were not working (on a martingale, and before that a traditional choke)

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » October 20th, 2006, 12:32 pm

I did it by walking with both so I could easily switch. then walking with it in my pocket so I could easily put it on. Eventually she got the hint - I could produce the prong at will.

That was then... now she is 100% collar smart.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » October 20th, 2006, 12:40 pm

how did she get collar smart? Anything I can watch for? Does it sound as if I'm ready or should I be proofing him more?
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » October 20th, 2006, 1:05 pm

Collar smart is when they only behave when the collar is on. She got that way by me being lax about putting it on and hour before a walk and leaving it on an hour after so it wasn't "only for walks".

Only you know how he's acting. I can't see him on a walk, descriptions only go so far unfortunately.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » October 21st, 2006, 1:08 am

hm... its hard for me because he was so horrible before that when I think back about it, he is so much better now.
I think I'll have to really make myself observe him in the next little while on walks...

thanks michelle!
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby DemoDick » October 21st, 2006, 1:29 am

This time last year Connor was a complete jerk without the prong. I still use it for most of our training, but I learned the hard way how dependant we were on it. I still get better precision obedience when he has it on, but I don't rely on it as much any more.

I just taught him that I had other means to correct him. It's still a work in progress but we have gotten much better.

Demo Dick
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby HappyPuppy » October 21st, 2006, 11:43 am

I've been wanting to wean off the prong, too, tho we're not ready yet. But I have been putting it on at times BUT using the flat instead while the other still klinks and clanks like it's being 'used'. Might be a way to transition - I have had to swith back to it, too, on a walk, and it's already "there."
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » October 21st, 2006, 12:45 pm

On Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:29 pm, DemoDick wrote:This time last year Connor was a complete jerk without the prong. I still use it for most of our training, but I learned the hard way how dependant we were on it. I still get better precision obedience when he has it on, but I don't rely on it as much any more.

I just taught him that I had other means to correct him. It's still a work in progress but we have gotten much better.

Demo Dick

well, I know a few other means of correction, but Oscar truly seems to respond best to corrections from the prong, or, really, its probably because I've been able to put much less emotion into prong corrections.

honestly, dependency is SOOOOOO much better then looking like some punk idiot being yarded down the street and towards other dogs or randomly and unexpectedly being hauled after a squirrel or cat :lol3: And it woud kill me that when I'd go and practice OB with him he'd be awesome with more then just the basics, and then I'd go to walk him home from the field and there we were again. :shake: :squint:
But it would be nice to not have to go through the whole process of remembering to put the collar on him way before we go anywhere or do anything...
I think I need to kick myself in the ass and get going with our training again

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Violet » October 21st, 2006, 2:16 pm

I am REALLY glad this subject came up..I plan on trying to take two dogs to get their CGC somewhat soon and one of my biggest issues is having them walk on a flat collar.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby Romanwild » October 21st, 2006, 4:06 pm

I took them off after the bullympics and haven't had them on since. I just decided to force myself to train them. I want them to not pull so I need to figure it out and not go back. That's just me. I'm not putting anyone down for using them. They are great imo. I just want to force myself to work through it. So far so good but I need to do some more specific training sessions just for pulling.

So for me to answer your question....I would say "cold turkey".
Romanwild
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior