Help with Crate Selection

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby cannon » October 11th, 2006, 11:38 pm

I am upgrading Mo's crate to something more substantial.

He has begun popping off the wires to the wire crate. My downstairs neighbor rescued him today with is head stuck in the crate. Luckily he was ok.

I have only found two that look suitable. Any opinions on which design would be better? The orvis crate looks sturdier, but seems like it is darker and more confining. I have read though that a dark crate equates to a secure den for a dog.

Orvis crate (airline approved):

Leerburg crate:

They cost about the same....expensive. They are cheaper than a pair of shoes a day though.
cannon
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » October 12th, 2006, 12:36 am

Have you looked into Vari kennels at all?

I like the first one you posted, not the Leerburg one.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cannon » October 12th, 2006, 12:52 am

I think that he will chew his way out of the vari crate pretty easy, as the thick wire crate didn't stand a chance. He is very smart and I think he could beat the plastic crates.

I filmed him when I first put clips along the wire crate door to keep him from pulling the door apart. He worked only at the clips. I guess he figured out that was the first obsticle that needed to be overcome.

Do you think the orvis crate would seem to confining, or do you think the darkness is more den-like for them?
Last edited by cannon on October 12th, 2006, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
cannon
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » October 12th, 2006, 12:58 am

I think the Orvis one looks better built and less like a tiger cage. I don't think it is any darker or more confining than the average Vari Kennel.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cannon » October 12th, 2006, 1:03 am

On October 11 2006, mnp13 wrote:I think the Orvis one looks better built and less like a tiger cage. I don't think it is any darker or more confining than the average Vari Kennel.

Hah! The other looks like doggie prison though. :P

I agree the orvis one is probably not much darker than vari's. Looks a little more refined and sturdy than the leerburg. Plus, while I found the pictures, I can't find a place to order the leerburg kennel.
cannon
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » October 12th, 2006, 7:48 am

I really like that Orvis one! Is it metal or heavyweight plastic?

Here's one from PetEdge that I was thinking of getting for my Harry Houdini, Mac:

Go to: http://www.petedge.com

And search for this item number: ZW179
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » October 12th, 2006, 8:11 am

I like the Orvis one. And yes, dogs do like darker, confined spaced. When either of my dogs get crated (yes yes, it's true, every once in a while I'll crate Wally . . . shocking isn't is?) their crates get covered with a blanket. There is a good chance he may be destroying his crate now because he can see out of it and therefore wants to get out. A Vari kennel with a blanket over it may be just the trick (of course, also leaving something to chew on will help, like a good sized marrow bone). Therefore escape is out of sight, out of mind.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » October 12th, 2006, 8:18 am

I vote for the Orvis too, the bonuses I see are the appearence and that it is airline approved.

my dog seeks out sheltered spaces, his favorite spot (to my annoyance) was the 1/2 height closet at my old apartment.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby babyreba » October 12th, 2006, 12:46 pm

based solely on the fact that the leerburg kennel looks frighteningly like a tiny jail for dogs, i vote orvis!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Romanwild » October 12th, 2006, 1:07 pm

I'm planning on upgrading to that style as well. The Orvis looks nice.

There was a manufacturer at the Bull-ympics but I can't remeber their name. I was told they were reasonably priced and look similar to the Orvis.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » October 12th, 2006, 1:17 pm

On October 12 2006, 13:07, Romanwild wrote:I'm planning on upgrading to that style as well. The Orvis looks nice.

There was a manufacturer at the Bull-ympics but I can't remeber their name. I was told they were reasonably priced and look similar to the Orvis.

Fala woods

http://falawoods.com
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » October 12th, 2006, 1:30 pm

THX!

Unfortunately they don't have them up yet. :|
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Cuda » October 12th, 2006, 1:32 pm

I like the orvis one better myself. The leerburg one looks more like a tookbox than a dog crate. And i cant find any pics of the Fala Wood's kennels.
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » October 12th, 2006, 2:19 pm

I'm trying to track down Jon to join and put up crate info.

edited to fix spelling.
Last edited by mnp13 on October 12th, 2006, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Magnolia618 » October 12th, 2006, 2:34 pm

I like the Orvis one better.

I will only use Vari Kennels from now on (or the Orvis type one if I need to). My shih tzu got his jaw stuck in a wire crate, and Trey got his HEAD stuck in one.

They seem to like the plastic kennels better anyway. Its more like a den to them.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cannon » October 12th, 2006, 3:33 pm

Oh, shite, I like the one from PetEdge but I already put in the order from Orvis. I am so impatient.

The Orvis one is aluminum.

I couldn't find the crates on the Fala Woods site.

Mo gets two frozen stuffed kongs when he gets crated. He also gets to watch TV all day while in the crate.

To make a long story short, he figured out how to get out of the crate a little while ago and hasn't stopped trying since. There are no issues with him going in, he seems to be fine with it. In fact he runs into his crate when I get the kongs out. He just tries to free himself after a while.

Thanks for all the comments. :greenWave:
Last edited by cannon on October 12th, 2006, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cannon
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » October 12th, 2006, 3:37 pm

I"m working on getting Jon here!!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 12th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Heheh, I'm going through that with Inara, currently. She broke her plastic kennel very easily, then chewed/pushed (???) and broke a nice, big, heavy duty wire one that seemed as though it would contain a full-grown bear, and now she's working her way through another wire one that I have covered in probably 50-75 zip ties. It takes FOREVER to put her in and take her out because the door alone has probably 10 zip strips to cut off and redo every time she's in or out. Damned Houdini dog. Ray Allen Mfg also has a cool-looking crate: http://www.rayallen.com/ramCart/cartFra ... ~mainFrame Click on kennels off to the left side and it's the big futuristic black one.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cannon » October 12th, 2006, 6:55 pm

I never even got a chance to try zip ties. I think he would have got them chewed off pretty fast. I did do bailing wire for a while, but he was going for the door. So I would have to twist the wire on and off to let him in or out.

I will post a picture of what he did to his regular crate. You won't beleive it.

Here's what temporarily helped me, might be good for the door at least.

The set up:

Don't mind the grandma furniture, this was shot at my parents condo.
cannon
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cannon » October 12th, 2006, 10:47 pm

Here's what he did. You can see some of the bailing wire around the door.

:shake:
cannon
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Next

Return to Training & Behavior