Hidden HA?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby KaylasMomJenn » October 9th, 2006, 11:05 am

I realized yesterday, that Marshmallow is not extremely friendly to humans. She is not mean, or growly, but she really doesn't show any interest in people, or dogs for that matter. People want to pet her, she'll look at them, and then keep walking away. Dogs approach her, and she looks at them, and keeps on walking. I am *not* saying I want her to be dog aggressive, or human aggressive, but is it just as bad that she is non-respsonsive to these things as it would be if she were outright aggressive? There was an off leash retreiver yesterday who RAN up to Marshmallow, Marshmallow gave a few wags of the tail, sniffed the dog for 3 seconds, and then kept on walking with me.
The other thing I noticed, is if people who have on real dark clothes are approaching us, she keeps a real close eye on them. (ears up, tail straight, like complete alert) until they get to a pretty close distance, and then she turns her head and keeps right on walking. I have wondered a few times if she has eye sight issues, because sometimes at night, she'll growl at leaves blowing across the ground.
My Ex's brother just got home from his 1.5 yr depolyment in Iraq, and they were rough housing, and Marshmallow started growling at his brother (he was able to hold her back) that in itself is pretty scary, but I can see that she felt like he was hurting him.
Just want to know what your guy's take is. We're trying to make the best dog out of her that we possibly can.
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » October 9th, 2006, 11:23 am

I don't think there is any problem with a dog who doesn't choose to "love on" every person that it sees. I don't want every person I see to touch me, why would my dog want them to?

It's one thing if they are showing signs of fear or signs of aggression, but from your description, she sounds ambivilant.

The thing with the ex's brother sounds normal to me. She doesn't know the guy, so probably viewed it as a problem.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Training & Behavior