Wild noises when excited?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby KaylasMomJenn » October 9th, 2006, 10:53 am

Because winter is steadily approaching (much to my dismay) we took advantage of the wonderful weather yesterday and had Marshmallow out on a nice long walk down at the river. (This was her first "major" outing since her ACL surgery a few months back) We did a LOT of walking, and she did a LOT of swimming. We found a HUGE log to throw out for her to bring back in (it probably weighed 5 lbs) and when she brought it in, she was chewing on it, and making these CRAZY whining/screeching noises while she was madly chewing on the wood while she was jumping on it. We'd pick it up, and she would start jumping around all excited, so I know she wasn't in any pain. My question is, is that noise normal? I have NEVER heard her do that before. After we stopped throwing it out, I had a hard time tearing her away from it so we could continue our walk.

My ex told me that she was limping a bit more than usual last night, so it seems like we may have over done it a bit. I wish that her drive wasn't so high, because after seeing how well she did yesterday, I realize now that they really will keep going until complete exhaustion. She never ONCE limped or stopped going the entire time I had her out. I guess the good thing is, she will now get a full 6 months of complete rest before we take her back out again (supposed to snow by the end of the week).
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » October 9th, 2006, 11:49 am

Yes, it is normal. Munkee makes the WEIRDEST noises when he is excited or wants out of his room. Hard to describe, sort of a cross between a moan, a scream & a squeel. :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » October 9th, 2006, 5:11 pm

When Darlene had her 2 cruciates done, I was so careful and kept her on a leash for months. I never had the chance to exercise her the way you were able to with Marshmellow. She must be well into rehabilitation.

As for the weird noises when excited ~ Don't we all? :bananaDance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » October 9th, 2006, 5:24 pm

On Mon, Oct 09 2006, 5:11 PM, iluvk9 wrote:As for the weird noises when excited ~ Don't we all? :bananaDance:

Hey, keep it clean, lady! :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » October 9th, 2006, 5:30 pm

On October 09 2006, Marinepits wrote:
On Mon, Oct 09 2006, 5:11 PM, iluvk9 wrote:As for the weird noises when excited ~ Don't we all? :bananaDance:

Hey, keep it clean, lady! :D

Oh, I couldn't find the edit button. :| Of course I meant all OUR DOGS. :D
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby KaylasMomJenn » October 9th, 2006, 9:40 pm

Joyce,
She was on leash 100% of our walk. We only threw the log out far enough in to the water that her 16 foot flexi would allow her to go. (And yes, I did get pulled in to my knees a couple of times!)
The vet OK'd her walks but I didn't realize that it was too much for her. I went and saw her tonight, and she was walking just fine again. It was probably just a little sore yesterday because that was the most excercise she's had since the surgery.. .maybe just a little stiff?

Thanks all for the replies. I wish I had brought my camera so I could show you what she did to the log!
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » October 9th, 2006, 10:17 pm

Believe me, I know keeping a dog on a leash and "quiet" is not easy! I wish I was able to have Darlene swim for therapy.

How is her scar looking? With that white fur, is it still obvious?

I also started Darlene on Cosequin and then switched to Glyco-flex II. You might want to look into some sort of joint supplement to keep her knees in good shape down the road :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Training & Behavior