Bones

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » September 28th, 2006, 8:40 pm

Here's someone who might be able to help...

http://www.thedoghousellc.com/training.htm

http://www.thedoghousellc.com/contact.htm

[quote]Dog Training By World Class Professionals
Why having your dog trained at The Doghouse really makes a difference

The Doghouse, LLC was founded by world renowned trainers and authors Ivan Balabanov and Carrie Silva. Established in response to the demand for effective, customized training programs. Their training methods have been developed over more than 25 years using scientifically proven principles of animal behavior and cognition. These training methods have created numerous national and international champions. After personally winning five national championships, plus many international awards, Ivan wrote the award wining book “Advanced Schutzhundâ€
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marco » September 28th, 2006, 9:58 pm

Thanks for that info, but I tried to click on there prices link, and the .pdf form, and their links are broken. :(
Marco
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 28th, 2006, 10:31 pm

then email them. there is a form on the contact page.

it's up to YOU to do the legwork.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby jlewin » September 29th, 2006, 6:58 am

you need to teach him the "off" command before it becomes effective. Even if he seems to be listening to the command sometimes he is probably just getting off you anyway, and would have with or without the command.

To teach him the command invite him up on you and then once he is up pivot to the side and towards his butt so he falls off, as he is coming off say "off." you should also give him a small treat. repeat this 5 or 6 times 3 times a day.

btw. as far as the treat goes, you don't have to use positive reinforcement for all of your training, although i do reccomend you do. but in this instance you are asking the dog to stop doing something he likes very much, so you had better make it seem worth it to him or it is going to take a very long time to make this behavior reliable.

also, you posted that you are giving him the knee, a jerk on the leash and then a command. If you insist on using that method you have to reverse the order. Give the command, give him a chance to respond. if he does no use the correction of your choice.
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » September 29th, 2006, 8:12 am

On September 28 2006, 5:57 PM, katiek0417 wrote:
On September 28 2006, 3:54 PM, mnp13 wrote:I agree, but this dog is currently jumping on people, nipping to the point of breaking skin, doesn't listen to basic commands and sounds like it is generally out of control.

I totally agree a sport like agility would be great for him, just not until the dog has some measure of respect for the handler. At 70 pounds he's learned to throw his weight around and needs some serious manners!

but sometimes you teach the dog respect when you get into these things...Sacha never respected me until I started doing bitework with her (ironically)...she used to bite me all the time, jump on me, etc....she broke skin on more than one occasion (and would even bite my face)...

I agree. With some dogs you won't be able to get the respect until after you give them a job to do.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior