Good bye Sam

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Samthepit » September 15th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Sam bit the neighbors boy this evening. After I just had her assessed and everything. After I've told everyone I would NEVER allow a vicious dog near my children. That pitbulls aren't bad dogs (I'm NOT saying they are either - but u know what people r going to say). I think if he hadn't had two shirts on it would have been a lot worse. She's gotta go now, cant have a dog that bites like that. I'll never be comfortable with her and I KNOW my DH won't. I am just heartbroken, I was really attatched to this dog. My kids were attatched to this dog. Now I have to listen to the "I told you so's" and be w/out my buddy.

My neighbor brought the boy over to see if my girls wanted to play and the door wasn't latched tight and BAM before I knew what was happening she was threw the door on on the kid. I can't tell you how sick I felt - luckily we're all friends and the damage was minimal - no blood just marking and bruising. OMG what a mess....
Sarah Broadwater
"who's behavior do you answer for?"
Samthepit
Just Whelped

Postby Magnolia618 » September 15th, 2006, 6:43 pm

If there is was no blood are you absolutely positive it was a "bite"? Did you see her do it?
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Samthepit » September 15th, 2006, 6:51 pm

I was standing right there - she rushed past me and I had to pry the kid out of her mouth along w/ the neighbor and I am certain if he hadn't had his fleece on it would have been much, much worse. He did nothing - he was just standing there.
Sarah Broadwater
Samthepit
Just Whelped

Postby concreterose » September 15th, 2006, 6:53 pm

Wow. I'm so sorry to hear this.
Did you have any warning signs up to this?
Was Sam usually a mouthy dog, or is this behavior unusual for her?
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby babyreba » September 15th, 2006, 7:08 pm

oh my god, how awful!

yes, can you please offer some more information on what the dog was like before this happened? did she ever meet this kid before?
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Samthepit » September 15th, 2006, 7:18 pm

The only thing I can think of was back when we first got her - my girlfriend came over w/ her little boy and he came into the house and she was leashed and she barked and acted in a way I felt was innapproprate but couldn't label as 'aggressive' KWIM? Cause I just did know - she was ceratinly not foaming at the mouth of acting like cujo if that makes sense. Other than that she's been a doll - other boys would run around in the street and she'd bark but when she was on leash she would be find w/ them. They'd even stop and ask if they could pet her. She had seen E before - he's been at our house before - I've babysat him before even... There was no warning just shot past me and blew through the door. :|
Sarah Broadwater
Samthepit
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » September 15th, 2006, 7:24 pm

Did your neighbor knock or just walk right in with the little boy? I'm wondering if maybe Sam was startled. Not to excuse her behaviour.....

I'm sorry you have to go through this.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Samthepit » September 15th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Knocked and waited - we heard them come up the steps - I even hesitated to wait and see who it was. The door just wasn't latched tight and when Sam hit it, she was able to speed through it and get the boy. :cry:
Sarah Broadwater
Samthepit
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » September 15th, 2006, 9:40 pm

:( Wow Sarah, I can't believe that happened. I'm so sorry, and glad the little boy is OK.
Jenn
undecided

Postby rockermom » September 15th, 2006, 9:54 pm

Oh man this really stinks. Is she not a puppy? And shelter said she was a shepherd mix right? I totally understand not having her around kids. I went through this with a doberman who never bit anyone but she was friggen scarry. My kids could not have friends over the entire summer. She went to doberman rescue and they fixed her up in 2months and sent her to a dobie savvy home. I could not risk the kids. If it were just my husband and I she would have been able to work it out.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » September 16th, 2006, 3:23 am

:( You said Cheryl met her, have you called her or emailed her about this? This is horrible. And don't listen to the "I told you so's" She is a mix isn't she? Just because she has pit bull in her does not mean it was the "pt bull in her" that bit. I am so sad for you.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » September 16th, 2006, 4:48 am

If your dog truly had bad intentions I find it highly unlikely that she would have done such little damage.

How old is Sam?

Did she growl? Did she bark? What was her body language like?

I understand your concern, safety is always priority, I just want to make sure that she was not misintentioned.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Samthepit » September 16th, 2006, 5:52 am

Well - I'm new to all of this but she blasted through that door like she was on a mission and just latched on to the boy. She was growling and I can't rememeber if there was any barking or not.. I'm still baffled the next morning and at the very least she'll have to find some place else to live as my DH won't allow her to stay now and I can't look my neighbors in the eye (and that poor baby) and say "hey I'm keeping the very dog that tried to eat your kid" - even if that's not what Sam had in mind that's all anyone could think. I'm certainly open to alternatives if anyone has any..
Sarah Broadwater
Samthepit
Just Whelped

Postby Samthepit » September 16th, 2006, 5:56 am

On September 16 2006, cheekymunkee wrote::( You said Cheryl met her, have you called her or emailed her about this? This is horrible. And don't listen to the "I told you so's" She is a mix isn't she? Just because she has pit bull in her does not mean it was the "pt bull in her" that bit. I am so sad for you.

I am waiting to get ahold of Cheryl now - and she told me Sam is just a straight up pit (not that it matters to me but even a little pit makes for a 'bad' dog if u KWIM) - probably from a gaming line. I was really excited for what we were going to do man - looking forward to proving to everyone that pitbulls are good dogs that can be trusted w/ ppl and most of all I had myself a little buddy who loved to follow me around and sit on my lap. :cry:
Sarah Broadwater
Samthepit
Just Whelped

Postby Samthepit » September 16th, 2006, 1:55 pm

I just got an email from a lady who works w/ bully's and she said she'd take Sam and re-evaluate her and work w/ her to see if she couldn't have a 3rd chance so to speak. I'm so greatful - I really didn't want to have to put her to sleep. THANK GOD for this lady... Let's just hope things work out and I don't have to go through this heartbreak again.
Sarah Broadwater
Samthepit
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » September 16th, 2006, 2:58 pm

Just wanted to comment that you cannot tell by looking at a dog if it is from "game lines" or not. Plus if it wsa, IMO this would more likely than not, not happened.

I am so sorry for your family and yes, I think it is best for you to return the dog to the shelter to have her re-evaluated. I am sorry

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Samthepit » September 16th, 2006, 3:05 pm

I agree about the gaming dog being LESS likely to act out that way - as far as wether u can tell by looking or not - I have no clue just what I was told. I'm heartbroken of course - I never wanted to lose her but this is for the best. It gives Sam another chance - I'll be taking her out there later tonight.. I'm sure I'll be a wreck..
Sarah Broadwater
Samthepit
Just Whelped

Postby Kingsgurl » September 17th, 2006, 2:31 am

On September 16 2006, Samthepit wrote:I just got an email from a lady who works w/ bully's and she said she'd take Sam and re-evaluate her and work w/ her to see if she couldn't have a 3rd chance so to speak. I'm so greatful - I really didn't want to have to put her to sleep. THANK GOD for this lady... Let's just hope things work out and I don't have to go through this heartbreak again.

I'm really sorry this happened to you, and to your girl. However, if things happened the way you said they did, the dog had met and been fine with the child before, the dog 'latched onto and had to be pried off of' a child who did nothing to provoke an attack, then please, please, please, reconsider how wise it may be to have her released back into the public. She passed an evaluation before, correct? Evaluations aren't 100%, especially if the evaluator sees the dog acting only in a good manner.
You were there. What did YOU see? Did you see a dog that was trustworthy? That was safe? I know it's hard, and my heart bleeds for you and for her. But, PLEASE, do what is right for her and right for the breed. Don't pass her problems off to someone who claims they can 'fix' her. Too many Pit Bulls out there dying who don't need 'fixing' Too many chances for things to go wrong and for there to be headlines
Kingsgurl
Just Whelped

Postby Samthepit » September 17th, 2006, 8:21 am

Don't think that didn't occur to me - I was ready to have her PTS on monday until this lady emailed me that had worked w/ Sam and I when I first got her and said she'd take Sam and re-evaluate her (w/ this incident in mind) - it sort of threw me. Here I was prepared to do the deed and then another option opened up, and I started second guessing myself, did she REALLY act this way, do I REALLY remember it the way it happened? - There is a man who is already lined up to take her IF she gets through any evaluations who is 30 w/ no kids. I'm not saying I did the right thing...

And your right there are too many good pits dying while unstable ones perhaps get a second chance they don't deserve, and maybe Sam is one of them. I'm sorry, I was just trying to do the right thing and there is no manual on this stuff. :cry:
Sarah Broadwater
Samthepit
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » September 17th, 2006, 3:03 pm

None of us were there, none of us saw what happened, we cannot evaluate a dog over the internet. Many times ( and once here jsut recently) a dog is called aggressive & that was not really the case. I will never tell someone whose dog bit but did not break the skin to euth their dog based off of a post on a message board. Munkee "bites" me, he is playing, there is no harm intended on his part. If he did this to someone who did not know him, they might very well call for his head. I have a scratch on my chin right now from one of his teeth. He put a whole in my hand once grabbing for a tug I was picking up off of the floor, he thought it was play time. I am NOT making light of what happened, I am just saying that sometimes an in person evaluation ( even if a dog has passed one twice) is called for, especially since an incident has and there is more information.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Next

Return to Training & Behavior