I'm thrilled and all exceited ..

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Big_Ant » September 8th, 2006, 4:59 pm

IamaDick wrote:Julie K is an AWESOME trainer, and i dont think she would appreciate some of the things said in this thread. Im not sure EXACTLY what her credentials are, maybe she can come on here and say what she has done. But i have been training with her for around a month and have already learned great things. She is a retired handler and now helps people train there dogs at an extremely affordable rate. She doesnt do it for the money, its more donations to let her continue training. And if you met any of her dogs i think you would sing a different tune. She does agility, obedience, schutzhund and anything else you can imagine. She isnt so much in the agility world anymore, but she has the experience to teach others. She says she is too old to do agility!! lol. So she has been sticking with obedience. Dont knock her or ill really get pissed. :D

I don't think anyone here has said anything bad about her, all we did was ask for more info on her.

Just like Michelle said, if you are looking for a new trainer, what do you do? Look at qualifications, and, IMO, from what Emi posted I was not impressed with anything, but like we said, just show us some more stuff and we'd probably be singing a different tune.

We're not even knocking her, just curious about her

Actually, I shouldn't use we, so replace all of that with "I"

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby IamaDick » September 8th, 2006, 5:01 pm

well its fine to inquire, but some of those posts came off a little.....well...rude. Especially considering that website really has little to do with her. Ill email her so that maybe she can explain all of her "credentials."
WWAASSUUPP!!!
IamaDick
Just Whelped

Postby Emi » September 8th, 2006, 5:08 pm

Well like i said, that was the kennel she worked for ...

And had read a great article by the owner Mr Richard Gray which I can't find today ... like I said , I can't find any thing I want today on the web so i have given up ...

:debby:
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 8th, 2006, 8:49 pm

IamaDick wrote:well its fine to inquire, but some of those posts came off a little.....well...rude. Especially considering that website really has little to do with her. Ill email her so that maybe she can explain all of her "credentials."

First, no one was knocking her. Asking about her experience / titles / credentials is not unreasonable - and in my opinion is the first thing that a prospective client should do.

That website was posted by Emi, we didn't just "discover" it.

It's great she has competed / trained for so many different sports. How exactly would we know that if Emi didn't know that? Trust me... nothing here has even approached rude.

I am interested in hearing from Julie, I never said she was some crackpot out to make a buck; however there are many crackpot trainers out there and in my opinion the members here are just looking out for Emi by asking her questions that she may not have thought about.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » September 9th, 2006, 8:04 am

I think it sounded a little high and mighty.
The only reason I said I wish I could go to one of Juliek classes is because she has given me and a few others some clever advice. She has some training ideas that are quite different. All I knew of her was that she was a member here. I had no idea that she was a trainer or had credentials just thought if she was giving a class it probably would be fun. I just enjoy taking my dog to obedience because all I am looking for is a family pet and maybe if I can find time in my busy family life I may break away and do agility. not all of us are looking to have a show dog.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Romanwild » September 9th, 2006, 9:38 am

I don't see anyone being high and mighty here. I see people asking questions about a trainer. What's the worst that can happen? We all learn something?

Having some accomplishments is one way of measuring a trainers ability. If they don't have titles then you need to see there own dogs and how that behave and obey.

Personally, I like to learn from a lot of different trainers and develop my own approach that works for me and my dogs. Lisa has a really healthy outlook at training. Maybe she will chime in.

Go check her out and like Bruce Lee says. Take what is useful and discard the rest. :|

I want to be clear though. In messageboard world no one has been rude here. :D
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » September 9th, 2006, 7:33 pm

I'm not evil, I'm the Queen Bitch of the Forum. That's different.

I'm also a Honey Roasted Cashew, and you're not. So there.

:spit: I totally forgot about that...
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » September 10th, 2006, 12:28 am

I have read this thread several times & I don't see what the big deal is. All anyone is doing is asking about her credentials. Not everyone knows who Julie is. I don't. :| If I said I was a trainer, after people picked themselves up off the floor & stopped their hysterical laughter, I'm sure they would ask me the same questions...........no need to be offended over it. :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Carla » November 6th, 2006, 12:33 am

I guess I first became aware of Julie back in the mid 80s/early 90s -- she had a tremendous-working, black and tan Am Staf bitch that was related to my Tacoma dogs. What a dog Moomin was - she was a worker AND a clown! Julie put a UD on that dog and was one of the first dogs I knew about that demonstrated a new, up and coming dog sport -- agility -- at one of the big Houston shows one year.

Julie's been involved with this breed for a LONG time and has put various obedience titles on dogs over the years. And I know she's helped lots of people with their dogs during her years there in Houston -- not just with competitive obedience, but good family obedience as well.

As for Rounders Kennels -- Mr. Gray is considered one of the genuine, knowledgeable, old-timers in the breed and is one of the people whose knowledge I and many others tap into all the time. He breeds a moderate, athletic dog and must have some idea of what he's doing as he just won his THIRD National Specialty just last month with one of his lovely bitches (his first win was back in 1970). Dogs of his breeding were also well-represented in the performance venues of the National.

Julie offered her time at the National and presented a seminar on bridge and target methods (and I missed it Julie!). The really cool thing was that all proceeds from the seminar went to the family of the late Lora Bauer Brashears.

I certainly think Julie is a trainer worth considering especially if you have this breed.

Carla
Carla
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Big_Ant » November 6th, 2006, 11:19 am

On 11/05/2006 8:33 PM, Carla wrote:I guess I first became aware of Julie back in the mid 80s/early 90s -- she had a tremendous-working, black and tan Am Staf bitch that was related to my Tacoma dogs. What a dog Moomin was - she was a worker AND a clown! Julie put a UD on that dog and was one of the first dogs I knew about that demonstrated a new, up and coming dog sport -- agility -- at one of the big Houston shows one year.

Julie's been involved with this breed for a LONG time and has put various obedience titles on dogs over the years. And I know she's helped lots of people with their dogs during her years there in Houston -- not just with competitive obedience, but good family obedience as well.

As for Rounders Kennels -- Mr. Gray is considered one of the genuine, knowledgeable, old-timers in the breed and is one of the people whose knowledge I and many others tap into all the time. He breeds a moderate, athletic dog and must have some idea of what he's doing as he just won his THIRD National Specialty just last month with one of his lovely bitches (his first win was back in 1970). Dogs of his breeding were also well-represented in the performance venues of the National.

Julie offered her time at the National and presented a seminar on bridge and target methods (and I missed it Julie!). The really cool thing was that all proceeds from the seminar went to the family of the late Lora Bauer Brashears.

I certainly think Julie is a trainer worth considering especially if you have this breed.

Carla

Thanks Carla.

That's all we were looking for in the beginning.

:thumbsup:

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » November 6th, 2006, 11:29 am

Thanks Carla! That IS all anyone wanted to know.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior