my dog hit by car yesterday

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby jlewin » September 2nd, 2006, 1:27 pm

Here is my post from pit bull talk

I can't believe I allowed myself to lose control like that, I dropped my vigilance for one second. I feel terrible....Brie on the other had is just fine, luckily she was "hit" but not "run over" the poor girl came trotting over to me after it happened looking like she thought she was in trouble for running off. a couple of staples and she's as good as new but I feel horrible.

I am reposting here b/c I have a turn for the worse with her behavior. This morning she went out to the side yard with me right by the road to use the bathroom no problem. I took her out on the back deck for a few short training sessions thorughout the day, no problem. About an hour ago I took her back to the same side yard that was fine this morning and she completely shut down. Now she is hiding in the corner of my bedroomnext to a nightstand with barely enough room for her body. I have not been in this situation before in all of my behavioral consults so I am looking for some advice. I'd rather not have to learn everthing with experience when it comes to my pride and joy. If I can get a jump on the learning curve I would be very grateful. She will not take a food reward from me although she seems to be responding positively to reward markers (clicks) even though she then won't take the reward. OUt in the yard it was trembling, tail tucked, the whole deal. Thanks you!
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby msvette2u » September 2nd, 2006, 1:34 pm

I may have missed some of your posts, but do you have a fenced yard? Is any part of it fenced?
msvette2u
I live here

Postby jlewin » September 2nd, 2006, 1:36 pm

I do not but I have plenty of access to fenced areas. I also have a number of long lead options. I hope you are asking for training purposes and not to reprimand me. I know I failed my dog yesterday so please let's not turn this into that. thank you for understanding.
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » September 2nd, 2006, 1:37 pm

Most of the boards trainers are at Bullympics this weekend but I am sure one of them will be able to help you with this.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » September 2nd, 2006, 1:37 pm

Uh well. OK. :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » September 2nd, 2006, 1:39 pm

msvette2u wrote:Uh well. OK. :|

No reason to jump on Vette, she only asked you a question & did not mention the dog being off leash. She was trying to help you.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby jlewin » September 2nd, 2006, 1:40 pm

msvette..i do not understand your reply.

unfortunately I will not be at the bullympics, holiday weekend very busy time for doggy day care and boarding, oh well
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » September 2nd, 2006, 1:45 pm

I'm not telling you to go to Bullympics, I am saying it may be a couple of days before they reply to you because they are busy this weekend & not near a computer.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby jlewin » September 2nd, 2006, 1:53 pm

got it. thanks. lol
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby msvette2u » September 2nd, 2006, 1:53 pm

jlewin wrote:msvette..i do not understand your reply.

unfortunately I will not be at the bullympics, holiday weekend very busy time for doggy day care and boarding, oh well

How do you not understand "OK"?
Basically, you offended me, because I wasn't going to say anything other than I BELIEVE dogs feel safer with boundaries, such as a FENCE - if she got struck by a car while unleashed and not in a fence, I'm sure that she's not going to feel safe any more while outside.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby jlewin » September 2nd, 2006, 2:09 pm

i'll take the side discussion to pm's

for the rest of you. I hope you understand, I am fully aware that I am at fault and made a serious mistake. I'm just looking for a little rehab help if anyone has any experience in this area. if you are looking to reprimand or remind me of my mistakes feel free to pm me but i suspect most of you will not feel the need and i thank you for that.
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » September 2nd, 2006, 2:10 pm

msvette2u wrote: I wasn't going to say anything other than I BELIEVE dogs feel safer with boundaries, such as a FENCE - if she got struck by a car while unleashed and not in a fence, I'm sure that she's not going to feel safe any more while outside.

Good point.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » September 2nd, 2006, 2:12 pm

The best rehab is to erect a suitable fence and/or keep her always leashed until you can get a fence up or move to a home with a fenced yard.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » September 2nd, 2006, 2:15 pm

This accident happened yesterday, correct? Give her positive and fun things to do outside while on leash and try to make sure she succeeds with what ever you choose to do -- no negative reinforcements for her to relate to being outdoors. If you can, bring her into the backyard away from the street and the noise of cars.

How is she around your car? Does she like to go for rides?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » September 2nd, 2006, 2:41 pm

Was she checked out by a vet? Often times when a dog has been hit by a car but shows no visible signs of it (breaking, road rash, etc) they still can be injured, usually with bruising to the lungs or heart. If she hasn't been checked out by a vet I'd start with that definitely. It's always easier to work with behavioral issues once the medical stuff can be ruled out.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » September 2nd, 2006, 3:01 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Was she checked out by a vet? Often times when a dog has been hit by a car but shows no visible signs of it (breaking, road rash, etc) they still can be injured, usually with bruising to the lungs or heart. If she hasn't been checked out by a vet I'd start with that definitely. It's always easier to work with behavioral issues once the medical stuff can be ruled out.

Yes, in the other thread it states the dog was vet checked & is on pain meds. Could be the dog is just really sore today, I know I would be. :wink:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby jlewin » September 2nd, 2006, 3:28 pm

yes she is definately vet checked. loves to go for rides and was in my car twice after the accident with no problem. i have not taken her for a ride since her fear showed up this afternoon. i will keep her activities on the back deck for now that is where we normally play anyway. i will do my best to keep it positive but after the breakdown she has been fairly afraid everywhere. i've been taking care to reward and treat her for outgoing behavior and calmness so hopefully i can coax her into relaxation enough to be outside. thanks for being helpful
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » September 2nd, 2006, 3:30 pm

Is it pretty windy around your place today? That may not be helping her nervousness. You just may want to keep her indoors until the storm blows thru.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby jlewin » September 2nd, 2006, 3:37 pm

interesting idea. it is windy but not really stormy. i hadn't thought of that, she doesn't particularly enjoy bad weather so maybe it just tips the scales against me for the moment. interesting thought.
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » September 2nd, 2006, 4:06 pm

Animals tend to be more sensitive to weather changes, so who knows? All my guys "hibernate" when they know a storm is brewing, whether it's snow or rain. They also are more "reactive" to wind -- any branch crashing to the ground has the potential to be pounced on.

Are you keeping her on her pain meds? What did the vet give you? One of my dogs does not react well to any type of sedative -- she gets very cranky and out-of-sorts. I have to keep her separated from the others because she'll be very snippy towards them. Once the meds are out of her system, she's fine with them.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to Training & Behavior