other dog interactions (on leash)

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby JCleve86 » January 27th, 2006, 9:41 pm

For the most part, my dogs have very good leash manners. I allow some pulling, and they seem to know as soon as the leash is taught, that's enough. They also have a pretty reliable sit-stay for other folks/dogs walking by, waiting at street corners, etc. However, they are HORRIBLE at ignoring dogs the other way around....if other dogs are in a sit stay or worse yet, a DOWN (this TOTALLY freaks them out for some reason?) I literally have to drag my crazed looking dogs away. They stare at the other dogs, try as hard as they can to pull to them...today they were VERY interested in a Lab who was being VERY GOOD, laying down until we passed, and they both did this routine, only Bosco and Molly snapped at each other when they bumped heads. (Nothing serious...just a snap...enough to make me drag them away embarassed that my previously well behaved dogs look like lunatics).

Admittedly, I've never taught them any specific command or behavior in these situations, so I don't blame them. I just introduced "focus" today, but I've been using it in conjuction with a sit-stay to get them more reliable on that (if other dogs pull close towards them, they forget they are supposed to stay...or sit for that matter).

Suggestions?
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby Romanwild » January 27th, 2006, 10:45 pm

Dreyfus and Diamond both used to react like idiots when seeing other dogs while on a walk. Especially Diamond.

I used the prong. With Diamond I needed a major correction to snap her out of her idiocy. Everytime got better. Now she will try to look at the dog, I say NO and she looks straight ahead. Both of them. :D

It went on longer then it should have because I was reluctant to give a hard correction. :rolleyes2:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby satanscheerleader » January 28th, 2006, 12:34 am

Romanwild wrote:It went on longer then it should have because I was reluctant to give a hard correction. :rolleyes2:

Awwwwwwwww............ that's sweet. :)
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 28th, 2006, 1:28 am

I think you are in the right track with a 'focus' command.

Do you use compulsion training methods?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby JCleve86 » January 28th, 2006, 1:34 pm

mnp13 wrote:I think you are in the right track with a 'focus' command.

Do you use compulsion training methods?

I'm not opposed to them, but I generally like to introduce a new command/idea with positive, and than once they know it, use compulsion to reinforce...if that makes sense. For example, I trained them to not pull like freight trains while on flat collars, and than got prongs to get them to be polite, and to offer the occasional correction now and then.

I've tried corrections when they see other dogs but they just don't seem to care. I've made the prongs fit nice and snug below the ears...but no cigar.

Bosco has responded really well to the focus idea. I just fed them half their dinner (kibbles) throughout the walk to introduce it. Molly, on the other hand, only focuses if there isn't something else cooler than a kibble to look at. I'm going to switch to a higher value reward for her sake...maybe boiled chicken chunks or cheese or something...good God I can imagine the gas now. Ewwwww.

I realize they don't really know what focus means yet, but they only seem to respond to the word AFTER I put them in a sit-stay...and I'd like to get them to do it while passing other dogs...and that of course means restraining them so they don't pull me off my ass to get other dogs, all the while trying to get their attention to "focus."

At this point, however, I'm open to any ideas...be it positive, compulsion, abuse...

Oh, wait....
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Return to Training & Behavior