a lil snarl action

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » August 9th, 2006, 10:51 pm

a-bull wrote:Again, I was suggesting a sit because one of the posters asked about using a lure to get the dog out, without a command. Not a good idea to lure the dog out with a treat, say nothing, then give it a treat---assuming the dog does not have a rock solid "come."

The best choice is to give the dog the command "come" and when he does, give the treat. If you can't get your dog out from under a bed, and it's important to you, my really basic advice would be to re-train the "come" command 'til it's foolproof. . . but I was trying to just address one particular posters question about a lure without a command without getting into my philosophy on life. :D

I guess you're missing my point. I'm right and you're wrong. :D :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » August 9th, 2006, 10:53 pm

Marinepits wrote:
a-bull wrote:
Marinepits wrote:
a-bull wrote:lol . . . "only if he comes out peacefully"---sounds like you're sending in the SWAT team for him. :D

Two words: tear gas! Betcha he comes out then. :wink:

. . . or sniper . . .

TWO WORDS! Super Soaker!

Birdie likes to steal things and hide under the bed because she KNOWS that I can't reach her under there.

I tried giving the "Come" command and showing her a treat. So she'd run under and refuse to come out unless I had food in my hand.

So out came the water gun.

Now she thinks twice before going under the bed. We've seen her start to crawl under the bed, then back up real quick and decide to lay on the floor on the other side of the bed.

Nah, less-than-lethals are better. Bean bags will make him move. Oooo! So will flash-bangs! Those are fun -- like indoor fireworks![/
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Marinepits » August 9th, 2006, 10:55 pm

mnp13 wrote:
a-bull wrote:Again, I was suggesting a sit because one of the posters asked about using a lure to get the dog out, without a command. Not a good idea to lure the dog out with a treat, say nothing, then give it a treat---assuming the dog does not have a rock solid "come."

The best choice is to give the dog the command "come" and when he does, give the treat. If you can't get your dog out from under a bed, and it's important to you, my really basic advice would be to re-train the "come" command 'til it's foolproof. . . but I was trying to just address one particular posters question about a lure without a command without getting into my philosophy on life. :D

I feel like Cartman here, goddammit! Answer me! :x :D

How about teaching the dog the "low crawl" to come out from under the bed? Keep the treat on the ground and just entice the dog directly from under the bed. Do you think that would work? The natural action for moving from under the bed would be a low crawl, so the reward could be given for both actions together.....
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby a-bull » August 9th, 2006, 10:58 pm

Probably would. :)

Dogs are all so different~Some dogs are just so easy.
a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » August 9th, 2006, 11:05 pm

mnp13 wrote:

Oh, oh, I get it now! Why the hell didn't I catch that looong ago, given that that's your usual theme with me, lol.

Uhhh, yah . . . let's bag that idea of opening a training school together. :wink:

(I do not always phrase stuff clearly, I do know that. Also, like I said, I tend to just offer suggestions to a direct question---I don't tend to back track. Ya know what I mean? Ahhh nevermind. Forums pi$$ me off, lol).
a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 9th, 2006, 11:15 pm

Actually, I did get your point, I was just giving you crap.

I don't really agree with it but that actually doesn't make it wrong
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » August 9th, 2006, 11:24 pm

mnp13 wrote:Actually, I did get your point, I was just giving you crap.

I don't really agree with it but that actually doesn't make it wrong

:jawdrop:

What did I just read???

Oh come on, don't go soft on me now!! I was just ready to say "uncle"---was going to give in and say bust out the hose and spray the bejesus out of the stubborn lil' bugga 'til he comes out--just be sure to use a command!

. . . and when your done . . . make him sit . . . . then throw cottonballs at him to make sure he's good 'n confused and knows what a twinkie he's been--but be sure to reinforce it with a treat.

Forums are ridiculous, lmao . . .
Last edited by a-bull on August 10th, 2006, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » August 9th, 2006, 11:49 pm

*Raises hand*

READ: This is not training advice! I am not a qualified trainer, I have never met Nandie, just saying what I would do if it was one of my boys.

Screw this namby-pamby lure them out shiznit. If Wally or Mike pulled this crap I would reach under the bed, grab them, and drag their sorry be-hinds out. If I say to come out, you come out. You don't come out, I will drag you out. You try to bite me you'd better believe I will bite back.

Do the lower dogs in the pack snap and/or growl at the alpha dog if he wants them to move? No way! They move their butts.

I'm Alpha Bitch. What I say goes.

And no, my dogs never hide under the bed, nor do they give me any flack when it comes to moving from where they are (Wally used to, but that was fixed PRETTY quickly once the handler error was realized).

Again, just what I would do, not suggesting you do that, I don't want to get anyone bit.
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » August 10th, 2006, 12:18 am

SisMorphine wrote:*Raises hand*

READ: This is not training advice! I am not a qualified trainer, I have never met Nandie, just saying what I would do if it was one of my boys.

Screw this namby-pamby lure them out shiznit. If Wally or Mike pulled this crap I would reach under the bed, grab them, and drag their sorry be-hinds out. If I say to come out, you come out. You don't come out, I will drag you out. You try to bite me you'd better believe I will bite back.

Do the lower dogs in the pack snap and/or growl at the alpha dog if he wants them to move? No way! They move their butts.

And no, my dogs never hide under the bed, nor do they give me any flack when it comes to moving from where they are (Wally used to, but that was fixed PRETTY quickly once the handler error was realized).

Again, just what I would do, not suggesting you do that, I don't want to get anyone bit.

Me too and I have, but I have never had a dog that I thought might bite me, I have had some grumbling growls & some "make me" growls, which I promptly DID make them. :) Don't smurf with me four legger. :twisted: I provide your meals and I pay the rent so I make the rules. When the four leggers can do that, they can make the rules. Mine don't hide under the bed but they do hang out there, I have no problem with it but when I want them out, they better get out or face my wrath. I have no problem with grabbing a collar or whatever is handy & dragging them out. Don't make momma angry, you won't like her when she's angry. :twisted:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » August 10th, 2006, 3:36 am

SisMorphine wrote:*Raises hand*

same disclaimer as above :)

I'd do exactly the same thing.

If I was at all concerned about being bitten, I'd snap a leash on that sucker with a proper fit flat collar and next time the issue came up, I'd haul his ass out. There is no bargaining with me when I ask that something be done, especially if the protest involves aggressive (fear, dominance, whatever) tactics.

but I ain't no trainer either ;)
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby a-bull » August 10th, 2006, 8:57 am

We were talking about dogs that try to bite when you pull them out, so you guys are all going to get eaten by your dogs . . . except Mali, who had the good sense to snap a leash on. :bite:

:P
a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » August 10th, 2006, 9:02 am

a-bull wrote:We were talking about dogs that try to bite when you pull them out, so you guys are all going to get eaten by your dogs . . . except Mali, who had the good sense to snap a leash on. :bite:

Like I said, they bite me, I bite back. I'm not afraid of that.
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby rockermom » August 10th, 2006, 9:05 am

Ok maybe you are all right about the dont mess with me aproach. That is what I was originally doing. However Rocky being fairly new in our home out of a shelter, I was advised to stop grabing his collar and pulling him out from under bed or off couch or any situation that involved grabbing his collar untill he understood my hand was not going to hurt him. He was only 4 or 5 months at the time and I knew nothing about him. I did know that he wanted to keep certian spaces that he claimed as his safe spots and did not want to get off or out. As for the reason why I dont want my dog under the bed is he is on NILIF. However now that it is 8 months later and he is 13 months old now. If he got under the bed and I wanted him out I would not think twice about grabbing him and pulling him out if he did not come out when told.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby a-bull » August 10th, 2006, 9:07 am

SisMorphine wrote:
a-bull wrote:We were talking about dogs that try to bite when you pull them out, so you guys are all going to get eaten by your dogs . . . except Mali, who had the good sense to snap a leash on. :bite:

Like I said, they bite me, I bite back. I'm not afraid of that.

Be careful . . .

Wally will snap a leash on you. :D

My solution? I don't care if my dogs go under my beds, lol.
a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » August 10th, 2006, 9:12 am

rockermom wrote:Ok maybe you are all right about the dont mess with me aproach. That is what I was originally doing. However Rocky being fairly new in our home out of a shelter, I was advised to stop grabing his collar and pulling him out from under bed or off couch or any situation that involved grabbing his collar untill he understood my hand was not going to hurt him. He was only 4 or 5 months at the time and I knew nothing about him. I did know that he wanted to keep certian spaces that he claimed as his safe spots and did not want to get off or out. As for the reason why I dont want my dog under the bed is he is on NILIF. However now that it is 8 months later and he is 13 months old now. If he got under the bed and I wanted him out I would not think twice about grabbing him and pulling him out if he did not come out when told.

No, I think it's very smart advice not to have been grabbing his collar if he was reacting negatively to it.

Rescue dogs have a fair amount of "unkown," so it's always best to be cautious if you elicit a negative reaction, but the problem still needs to be solved.

Different approaches work on some dogs that don't work on others. In all seriousness, grabbing a snarly dog from under a bed, with your face right at eye level, could get you bit.
a-bull
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 10th, 2006, 9:49 am

At the last training class I was at, the instructor taught us to teach the dogs that having their collars grabbed was a FABULOUS thing. We did this by slowly taking hold of their collars, saying "gotcha!" in a cheerful voice, and giving them a treat. Keep doing that over and over. As your dog gets accustomed to it, slowly start increasing the speed at which you grab his collar. Eventually you should be able to snatch it full-speed with the dog thinking it's the greatest thing ever 'cause they get a treat!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » August 10th, 2006, 10:02 am

That's why I have pit bulls. :D

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » August 10th, 2006, 10:21 am

cheekymunkee wrote:

That's why I have pit bulls. :D

good point---those Greyhounds are giving us all a bad name. :P
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » August 10th, 2006, 10:28 am

Yes they are, we should ban them, they are too tall & pointy. SOmeone could get hurt on all those points, they are a danger to man.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » August 10th, 2006, 10:32 am

California Brindle Fighting Dogs are a major problem right now.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Training & Behavior