Bait and Switch

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » August 7th, 2006, 11:25 am

I spent an hour both Saturday and Sunday working on fetch with Riggs. His out leaves a lot to be desired, but I got him to the point where he was spitting out one ball so that I would throw the other.

What's the next step and how do I bridge it to him spitting out the ball without another as bait? And, of course, when does the command get added in?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » August 7th, 2006, 1:15 pm

Im curious about this too. I am not looking to get serious about it, Just having my son be able to play fetch. I have been trying to play fetch with Rocky since day one. Finally got him to fetch but only if he knows I have food. He wont go for antoher toy or ball. I dont think he could ever do flyball. Maybe that other sport dont know what its called. When they have to chase the lure through a maze. All would be good as long as he does not catch the lure! I feel like I will forever need a treat. Since he is not having fun playing the game just wants the food.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby a-bull » August 7th, 2006, 2:24 pm

I'm not sure where to go from where you're at right now with him.

I would throw the ball, once my girl chased it and got it I'd call her back and tell her to "drop it." Once she dropped it, I'd cheer and clap and her 'reward' was I'd throw it again and she'd get to chase it again.

You use different commands and a different approach, so not sure if that's much help. :|
a-bull
I live here

Postby Jenn » August 7th, 2006, 2:34 pm

When he comes back make him sit, and give you the ball before he goes again. Are you just trying to teach him how to play fetch, or leading him up to learning something else?
Jenn
undecided

Postby concreterose » August 7th, 2006, 5:37 pm

When Vicki started bringing the ball back and dropping it consistently, I just stopped using the other ball. I shortened the distance that I threw it when using one ball until she caught on that she would only be retreiving one ball. I never put a command to it...she just automatically retreived the ball after I threw it :|
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 7th, 2006, 5:49 pm

JennKBM wrote:When he comes back make him sit, and give you the ball before he goes again. Are you just trying to teach him how to play fetch, or leading him up to learning something else?

We're working on getting up to spitting out the bitesuit. Right now he only outs for a toy, I need him to out because I tell him to not because I squeek his toy in his ear!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » August 7th, 2006, 5:57 pm

mnp13 wrote:
JennKBM wrote:When he comes back make him sit, and give you the ball before he goes again. Are you just trying to teach him how to play fetch, or leading him up to learning something else?

We're working on getting up to spitting out the bitesuit. Right now he only outs for a toy, I need him to out because I tell him to not because I squeek his toy in his ear!!

Oh, my suggestions probably aren't very helpful then, because we don't do bitesuits, lol.
a-bull
I live here

Postby call2arms » August 7th, 2006, 6:20 pm

I really can't help, Jessie loooves to play fetch and as soon as she sees the second ball she's ready to go!

I would say, if Riggs is motivated (if he really likes it, quivers in impatience for you to throw), don't throw the other before he spits. Just ask, wait until he does it, and get all riled up when he does it faster + throw?

I know Jessie has associated (when we play with 2 toys) that as soon as you spit the other one will fly (and with one ball, that I have to pick it up so it flies again... duh!). Then at that point you just pick up the ball he just spat, and throw that one... Vary in between both balls, and slowly eliminate the second one.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby SisMorphine » August 7th, 2006, 6:36 pm

I have no clue. The only dog I've ever had who fetches is Halo, and he already came with an awesome drop, which I refined. He used to drop the ball in front of you, now he will drop it right into your hand. Absolutely no clue on how his old owners got him to do that though.

I wish you the best of luck. I'm apparently going to have the same problem with Mike I think. He will only drop a tennis ball for a second tennis ball. We'll have to see what happens I guess. . .

ETA:
I used to take care of a Weim and you would have to bring 4 balls with you because he could stuff 3 in his mouth and wouldn't drop them until you had a fourth ball.
Last edited by SisMorphine on August 7th, 2006, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » August 7th, 2006, 9:34 pm

The tecnique I learned with Oscar involves a correction.
I use the command (obviously the dog already understands it), give a collar correction, barring that, a "lip pinch" (folding the lip onto the teeth, I can't do this one with Oscar, because I'll get bitten when he lets go of the ball -not intentionally mind you), barring that, an ear pinch.
Oscar LOVES the ball, but he LOVES to run and chase it even more, so the corrections have never put him off fetching. I'm not sure if thats an issue for Riggs or not

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » August 7th, 2006, 9:41 pm

call2arms wrote:I would say, if Riggs is motivated (if he really likes it, quivers in impatience for you to throw), don't throw the other before he spits. Just ask, wait until he does it, and get all riled up when he does it faster + throw?

That's what we're doing now. I don't throw the second ball until he spits out the first. The second the first clears his mouth the second ball is in the air.

I know Jessie has associated (when we play with 2 toys) that as soon as you spit the other one will fly (and with one ball, that I have to pick it up so it flies again... duh!). Then at that point you just pick up the ball he just spat, and throw that one... Vary in between both balls, and slowly eliminate the second one.

We'll have to work on that, he dives for the ball and if my hand is still on it he gets that as well.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » August 8th, 2006, 9:04 am

mnp13 wrote:We'll have to work on that, he dives for the ball and if my hand is still on it he gets that as well.

Damn -- Shorty does that, too! And it HURTS if she connects! :shock: :D

I make her back up and sit down after she spits the ball/toy/whatever out, THEN I pick it up and throw it. She's barking and twitching the entire time, but she knows I'm NOT throwing the toy until she backs up and sits.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby call2arms » August 8th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Jessie has dived for brand new toys before (she was just waay too excited, "Oooh, I've never had this one before!" type attitude) so what I did is I yelped (because she nicked me with her teeth) and just walked away. Took about a minute break from playing, then start again. You go for it while it's still in my hand, fun's over.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby mnp13 » August 8th, 2006, 3:37 pm

call2arms wrote:Jessie has dived for brand new toys before (she was just waay too excited, "Oooh, I've never had this one before!" type attitude) so what I did is I yelped (because she nicked me with her teeth) and just walked away. Took about a minute break from playing, then start again. You go for it while it's still in my hand, fun's over.

Which would work fabulously if he actually let go of my hand. lol
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » August 8th, 2006, 3:43 pm

padlock the ball to your hand . . .

o.k., o.k.---I'll stop. :D
a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » August 8th, 2006, 3:44 pm

mnp13 wrote:
call2arms wrote:Jessie has dived for brand new toys before (she was just waay too excited, "Oooh, I've never had this one before!" type attitude) so what I did is I yelped (because she nicked me with her teeth) and just walked away. Took about a minute break from playing, then start again. You go for it while it's still in my hand, fun's over.

Which would work fabulously if he actually let go of my hand. lol

Sounds like handler error to me..... :neener:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby a-bull » August 8th, 2006, 3:51 pm

Same here.

All the problems in the world, and she can't teach her dog to play fetch.

Sheesh. :twisted:
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » August 8th, 2006, 3:55 pm

Train your damn dog..............oh and feed him once in a while too.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » August 8th, 2006, 3:58 pm

Dog just needs a darn harness.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » August 8th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Nope, a Gentle Leader works better.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to Training & Behavior