Too late to be social?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Romanwild » August 9th, 2006, 11:15 am

NcPrisonguard wrote:the dragging over the coals was more a general statement about asking one question about socializing and then getting slammed with replies about not breeding..etc etc..

Just so you know the slamming came as a result of this

You wrote:
No he's not neutered yet, I was planning on possibly breeding him once with my female before fixing him... but still undecided.

When you post on a public forum people are going to disagree with you and try to change your mind. No one slammed you really. You brought it up and then said you were undecided. We wanted to help you with your decision. :)

We try to set the tone a little with this:

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=48

Good luck with the training and keep us updated! :greenWave:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby NcPrisonguard » August 9th, 2006, 11:37 pm

mnp13 wrote:Do you know if the trainer competes at all? In what sport?

Not sure.. I'll ask. I know he said his brother does Schutzund..I think I spelled that right. Though that might not be a competition sport.. don't know much about it
NcPrisonguard
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » August 10th, 2006, 12:10 am

NcPrisonguard wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Do you know if the trainer competes at all? In what sport?

Not sure.. I'll ask. I know he said his brother does Schutzund..I think I spelled that right. Though that might not be a competition sport.. don't know much about it

I only ask because I would NEVER go to someone for protection training who has not trained and titled in recognized protection sports. Actually, that goes for any type of training, but double (triple!) for any training involving dogs biting people.

I am speaking from experience on this one.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » August 10th, 2006, 3:45 am

I second that.

The trainer I took my "professional dog trainer" course under

mentioned something about not going to the local obedience trials, didn't like the scene, blah blah, excuses...

I didn't pass the course and I have a long standing grudge against this man. Rarely do I think of someone years later with vengeful thoughts, actually, I never do, with the exception of this man. If I'd had a different dog, I may have ruined him. Luckily for me, I have fixed almost all the problems I created with Oscar under this idiot's direction and have moved on, training wise anyway.

All I'm sure we're both saying is please, check this guy out :) Maybe check with the Better Business Bureau if he is a member? Something like that...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » August 10th, 2006, 10:12 am

Malli wrote:All I'm sure we're both saying is please, check this guy out :) Maybe check with the Better Business Bureau if he is a member? Something like that...

The BBB is a start, but most trainers just train, they are not members of official business organizations. I was thinking more along the lines of what dogs have you trained to what titles and then making the phone calls to verify the information.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby jlewin » August 25th, 2006, 10:49 am

socialization is not impossible but can be tricky. i would suggest looking into the local training schools and see if one offers a supervised play group or better yet a socialization class. you may be able to "train out" his anti social behavior using any type of aversives and reinforcement on your own or with a trainer but it will only mask the problem. the aggression threshhold will still be present and a constant danger. With proper socialization he can gain confidence in you to keep him safe and let that job go. of course some people in this situation choose to just be vigilant and keep him out of that situation completely, in my opinion this is not neccesary or best for you or the dog. good luck whatever you choose.
jlewin
Just Whelped

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior