my baby keeps biting me....

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Sarahdee » July 26th, 2006, 2:43 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:Try using one of those chain leashes. He probably wont want to chew on that.

I'm not really sure why you cant just stop him from chewing on his normal leash. If he starts, take it away and hold it at the base so he cant get to it. If he bites you, MAKE him stop.

I guess you would have to see for yourself.
I try all the no's that I can, he doesn't listen.
I try with a few pop's to the collar and say no, he doesn't listen.
I walk him around and try to set his attention to something else, he doesn't listen.
I give him a toy, he spits it out.
I give him a treat and tell him to sit, he just keeps chewing away.
I try to get the leash out of his mouth, and he has a death grip on it.
I'm telling you, its not as easy as saying no. How can you just say "don't let him chew on it" when he starts to chew on me when I try to stop him.
When he attacks me, he starts pouncing and barking (its like a play bark) then he jumps up and tries to bite me all over.
now tell me how I'm supposed to stop him when he has my whole arm in his mouth?? :( :( :( :(
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 26th, 2006, 2:53 pm

yah it's hard for us to say because we're not there, we're over the internet. I think you're right- bringing a good trainer over your house for one on one would probably be the best thing so he/she can see the pup in his element and exactly what he is doing. I'm so glad you're willing to try everything with him- some people would just give up. It will get worked through, I'm sure, with some help and consistency.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Sarahdee » July 26th, 2006, 3:02 pm

I think the chain leash will be a good idea, then he won't want to chew that.
I even put the bitter apple stuff on the leash, that stuff doesn't bother him.
But when we are walking he is excellent, he doesn't pull or bite the leash.
I think he just gets bored with his toys and goes for the leash.
when i'm at my moms she has a whole basket of toys and he plays in the basket for hours.
I just don't have that many toys for him yet. I think I need to get a big basket like that for my house :)
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Jenn » July 26th, 2006, 3:47 pm

Sarahdee wrote:when i'm at my moms she has a whole basket of toys and he plays in the basket for hours.
I just don't have that many toys for him yet. I think I need to get a big basket like that for my house :)

I could be wrong here, and I'm sure someone will let me know. I'm still learning how to fix my own dogs. ;) If I were you though, the last thing I would do is allow him to just have freedom to a large basket of toys. :| You need to say when it's play time, when it's not, give him the rewards of toys, playing, treats, etc. when he does as you ask him. I'd think planting a big ol basket to keep him occupied isn't going to help your issues with him.
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » July 26th, 2006, 4:00 pm

Jenn, I think that is excellent advice.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » July 26th, 2006, 4:18 pm

Well I know there are some who dont agree with this method and feel it is old and maybe it is but my dad had showed me to roll Rocky over and hold him down by the neck not hard or anything and say a low growling like no! or Stop!. It worked for Rocky and still does if he gets to rough you only have to grab the his collar and he will roll over and stop. I know one has to be really carefull doing this as it could backfire if you have a very dominent dog they could try and challange you. I suppose if you have a trainer come to the house they would let you know if this method is safe or needed. Over the internet it is hard to tell how much your dog is acting out. But based on your description he is really testing the boundries. And the only way I can think of to make him stop is just keep up with the time outs. or leave the room and Ignore him.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » July 26th, 2006, 4:54 pm

rockermom wrote:Well I know there are some who dont agree with this method and feel it is old and maybe it is but my dad had showed me to roll Rocky over and hold him down by the neck not hard or anything and say a low growling like no! or Stop!.

That is an "alpha roll". DO NOT DO THEM. PERIOD.

They are pure dominance, and dominance is NOT training.

It is also dangerous, especially with a snappy dog, as your face is the closest thing to their mouth.

I would advise that you seek out a trainer to work with you one on one. Make sure that trainer has experience, and check those credentials (I can not stress that enough)

If that trainer tells you to alpha roll your dog, leave.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » July 26th, 2006, 5:17 pm

mnp13 wrote:
That is an "alpha roll". DO NOT DO THEM. PERIOD.

They are pure dominance, and dominance is NOT training.

It is also dangerous, especially with a snappy dog, as your face is the closest thing to their mouth.

I would advise that you seek out a trainer to work with you one on one. Make sure that trainer has experience, and check those credentials (I can not stress that enough)

If that trainer tells you to alpha roll your dog, leave.

AGREED. Many times this can make the dog's behaviour worse, not better.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Maryellen » July 26th, 2006, 5:23 pm

i agree, no alpha roll. also, put him on NILIF http://www.k9deb.com nothing in life is free. he has to earn any privileges he wants, which will put you in charge also.. which also includes no furniture....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby a-bull » July 26th, 2006, 5:40 pm

Ditto on "alpha rolls."

Rarely works, can make matters worse, and it's a good way to get your face bitten.

Leave any rolling to cookie dough.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » July 26th, 2006, 7:30 pm

DEFINITELY practice NILIF. Make him earn absolutely everything. Do not let him on the furniture. Do not let him have free run of the house. Do not leave his toys out. If he wants anything, he must go through you.

If he clamps down on the leash, pry his mouth apart and get it from him. Try teaching the "give" command. Hold the leash close to the collar so he can't grab it. When I got Maggie, she had a bad habit of playing tug with her leash and NOT letting go. I pried her mouth apart and never even let her get the chance to grab the leash. She was also in obedience classes at the time, so she learned how to walk on a leash correctly and I never had the problem again.

Maybe I am just more rough with my dogs. :| If they were attacking me like that, I would use force to make him stop. Try stepping on his leash so he can't move around.

If my dogs grabbed my hair (if I still had it...) I would be FURIOUS and my dogs would know it. Talk about a come to jesus moment... :shock: That had to suck!
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Sarahdee » July 27th, 2006, 12:15 pm

thanks for all the advice guys. I don't think I could get this dog into an alpha roll anyway, I wouldn't want to try.

I had him on the leash all day yesterday, he just chewed away at it.
I got him to stop a few times, but it is very hard.

I also have been practicing nothing in life is free, with going outside and his food. I will have to start that with his toys.

whew, this dog is crazy! I think he will be okay though.
I'm going to start looking for a trainer today.

thanks everyone.

ps. I did have some friends over yesterday, and he was pretty good around them. He got very excited and tried jumping at first, but then calmed down.
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » July 27th, 2006, 12:36 pm

NILIF is to be done with EVERYTHING.. food, toys, privileges.. if he doesnt sit he doesnt eat, etc... you cant do NILIF halfway, you have to do it 100%.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » July 27th, 2006, 12:37 pm

i thought he was in dog obedience classes already?

THis weekend was his first obedience class and he did very well.
He didn't bite or attack me all weekend.
THe trainer told me to be more loud with him. I was too soft spoken and not stern enough.
He told me never hold his mouth shut, it will just make him crazier.
so he was actually good all weekend. I just have to keep being stern.
thanks for the advice.
I'm going to get some of that bitter end and see how that works.
Last edited by Maryellen on July 27th, 2006, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby a-bull » July 27th, 2006, 12:38 pm

Not sure if someone already suggested this or not, but have you sprayed Bitter Apple on his leash??
a-bull
I live here

Postby Sarahdee » July 27th, 2006, 1:20 pm

Maryellen wrote:i thought he was in dog obedience classes already?

THis weekend was his first obedience class and he did very well.
He didn't bite or attack me all weekend.
THe trainer told me to be more loud with him. I was too soft spoken and not stern enough.
He told me never hold his mouth shut, it will just make him crazier.
so he was actually good all weekend. I just have to keep being stern.
thanks for the advice.
I'm going to get some of that bitter end and see how that works.

yes, he is, this will be his third class this weekend.
He is doing very good there though.

I think that was an old post.
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Sarahdee » July 27th, 2006, 1:21 pm

a-bull wrote:Not sure if someone already suggested this or not, but have you sprayed Bitter Apple on his leash??

yep, i tried it, that stuff doesn't bother him.
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby rockermom » July 27th, 2006, 1:35 pm

I think she meant find a trainer to come to her home. Nice that he was calm with your company. Rocky can be a crazy loon when certian people come to visit. He gets so excited I think he is going to explode.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Sarahdee » July 27th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Isn't it funny how they look so calm and cute in their pictures

but they can turn into complete maniacs :D
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » July 27th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Sarahdee wrote:
a-bull wrote:Not sure if someone already suggested this or not, but have you sprayed Bitter Apple on his leash??

yep, i tried it, that stuff doesn't bother him.

How 'bout one of those leashes that's a chain? Maybe not as much fun to chew?
a-bull
I live here

PreviousNext

Return to Training & Behavior