my baby keeps biting me....

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 20th, 2006, 3:07 pm

yah do you mean like zooming around? Sounds like he has a lot of pent up energy? Does he have a certain kind of toy that he really likes to keep him busy?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Sarahdee » July 21st, 2006, 10:32 am

Yes, he likes all of his toys, especially his rope.
But when he is attacking and I try to direct his attention to the toy, he only sees me and not the toy.
And everyone keeps saying he has pent up energy like I keep him in the cage all day.
We go for very long walks, play outside constantly and also play inside when he gets hot. He seems to be tired, but about 20 minutes later he is ready to go again.
I took him to a friends house yesterday and they had a baby pool set up. HE loves the water, he was going crazy in the pool!! it was great!
But this persons mother thought she would get on the ground and play with him. before I could tell her not to wrestle with him, he bit her arm.
he was only playing, but it did hurt her.
i wish i could just snap my fingers and he would stop biting :(
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby rockermom » July 21st, 2006, 2:11 pm

No snap of the finger is going to do it. It takes time. I have seen some mouth more than others. And as for the zoomies well Rocky is a year and it all has calmed down but not gone away. Never know when he is going to start going zooming.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Sarahdee » July 24th, 2006, 1:45 pm

well, he starts running around and jumping like a maniac and if I go near him he will bite me.
and yes he is crate trained.

mnp13 wrote:Wh
at do you mean by he "went crazy"?

is he crate trained?
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Sarahdee » July 24th, 2006, 1:46 pm

rockermom wrote:No snap of the finger is going to do it. It takes time. I have seen some mouth more than others. And as for the zoomies well Rocky is a year and it all has calmed down but not gone away. Never know when he is going to start going zooming.

haha, yeah, I guess I just have to remember he is a puppy and it will take time for him to learn.
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » July 24th, 2006, 1:50 pm

Sarahdee wrote:well, he starts running around and jumping like a maniac and if I go near him he will bite me.

is he crate trained?

do you leave a leash on him all the time? Maybe try stepping on the leash and walking to the crate and crating him until he calms down?

He's getting a little old to be this uncontrollable.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 25th, 2006, 8:14 am

Sarahdee wrote:Yes, he likes all of his toys, especially his rope.
But when he is attacking and I try to direct his attention to the toy, he only sees me and not the toy.
And everyone keeps saying he has pent up energy like I keep him in the cage all day.
We go for very long walks, play outside constantly and also play inside when he gets hot. He seems to be tired, but about 20 minutes later he is ready to go again.
I took him to a friends house yesterday and they had a baby pool set up. HE loves the water, he was going crazy in the pool!! it was great!
But this persons mother thought she would get on the ground and play with him. before I could tell her not to wrestle with him, he bit her arm.
he was only playing, but it did hurt her.
i wish i could just snap my fingers and he would stop biting :(

Nope, I'm not saying you don't exercise him. Satin runs about 12 miles a week and gets a mile walk every night and she STILL has pent up energy!! I call her "crazy" because sometimes she is just out of control. Sometimes a toy will keep her busy though. Because I know what you mean- sometimes she gets the "zoomies" and wants to play crazy and rough and bite me also. She doesn't do it as often but sometimes she still does. She thinks its hilarious. So that is when she gets a time-out. I know it's hard, and rockermom is right, it does take time. I know, easier said than done, right?
That is so funny about the pool! I bet that was fun to watch.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby rockermom » July 25th, 2006, 8:24 am

mnp13 wrote:
Sarahdee wrote:well, he starts running around and jumping like a maniac and if I go near him he will bite me.

is he crate trained?

do you leave a leash on him all the time? Maybe try stepping on the leash and walking to the crate and crating him until he calms down?

He's getting a little old to be this uncontrollable.

Yeah but she did mention she has only had him 4 wks and he is 7 months. He is probably testing her. And I think I read in the introduction that he is from a shelter. When I got Rocky I was told shelter dogs tend to act out more? I would guess he needs work and crating him when he acts out would be a good start.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby NcPrisonguard » July 25th, 2006, 12:26 pm

This is a late post to the topic I guess... but Boomer is 8 months and he had a bad habit of getting too rough when we were rough housing.. and once I started biting him back he quit. I bite his ears, or I hold his muzzle and bite his nose or his chin, and I would bite until he whined or yelped alittle. After a few times he got the idea and now we can rough house for hours and he very very rarely bites hard or gets too rough. Cheyenne I have no problem with being too rough.
NcPrisonguard
Just Whelped

Postby Sarahdee » July 25th, 2006, 4:15 pm

aaahhh you guys are starting to scare me. I have him on the leash when he is bad, but he starts chewing the leash and he has almost bitten through it now.
Believe me, I have had to put him in the crate for biting.
I don't say a word, he just goes right in, because he knows he did something wrong.
and he has definitely calmed down alot since I have gotten him.
I just hope he gets the idea soon. He really hurts me sometimes.
He was biting the backs of my legs the other day and I started growling at him and then barked really loud and he took off and layed down, looking at me.
But at the same time, I don't want him to be scared of loud noises.
do you guys know what I mean?

I honestly think, he is just playing, but I don't know how to make him stop. I tried getting out treats and making him sit or do something else, but when he is focused on biting me and attacking, I can't get his attention on anything else.
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Magnolia618 » July 25th, 2006, 4:32 pm

I have him on the leash when he is bad, but he starts chewing the leash and he has almost bitten through it now.

Dont let him chew through it. If he starts to chew on it, say "NO!" very sternly and stop him from doing it.

Believe me, I have had to put him in the crate for biting.

A crate should not be used for punishment

I just hope he gets the idea soon. He really hurts me sometimes.
He was biting the backs of my legs the other day and I started growling at him and then barked really loud and he took off and layed down, looking at me.
But at the same time, I don't want him to be scared of loud noises.
do you guys know what I mean?

I wouldnt worry about it making him afraid of loud noises. If it works, try it again!

I honestly think, he is just playing, but I don't know how to make him stop. I tried getting out treats and making him sit or do something else, but when he is focused on biting me and attacking, I can't get his attention on anything else.

If this dog were mine, we would have had some serious "Come to Jesus" moments. This really isnt an acceptable thing for him to be doing. I agree with Michelle's step on the leash thing. The moment he starts biting, just step on his leash close to his head so he can't move to bite you. BE STERN!

By the sounds of it, this dog has YOU trained. Be the Alpha. Dont let him get away with anything.

The holding the mouth thing really worked with my foster. Every time I would grab her muzzle, she would bite her tongue. She caught on REALLY fast.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby mnp13 » July 25th, 2006, 4:58 pm

I think you need to get to a professional at this point. Someone who will see him act like this and help you get him under control. Not a "behavorist", a trainer with credentials that they show you.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » July 25th, 2006, 5:01 pm

mnp13 wrote: a trainer with credentials that they show you.

Key aspect right there. Anyone can call themselves a trainer. Much most out there aren't qualified to do more than teach a dog how to sit.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » July 25th, 2006, 5:09 pm

I know a trainer with "22 years of experience" who according to him can teach your dog everything from protection to advanced obedience. He also has a "professional" dog locating service where he will find a dog that will "exactly fit your needs"

He has never put anything past a CGC and TDI on a dog. He has never competed in a single dog event. Nothing.

I can tell you I have trained 50 dogs to advanced obedience... if you don't ask for proof you'll have to take my word for it; and I'd be lieing through my teeth. (no, I wouldn't do that.)

Ask for proof, and then double check that proof.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » July 25th, 2006, 5:10 pm

Good luck with your situation! :) I learned with my Mini Schnauz (mean little crap) that you just have to be consistent, and confident. Consistent,Confident, Consistent, confident, CONSISTENT! ;)
He would bite the crap out of us, just for walking by. He was just a little baby, but it still hurt like heck, and he had to learn it wasn't acceptable. He also had my daughter not enjoying him at all, which was a shame. I had to be so firm with him, for so long, and used a lot of advice that was offered to me. Now he's a dream at 7 months, and listens better than the big guys. lol (We're working on that) Just don't give up on him, and make sure you get some help, and STAY CONFIDENT too.
Jenn
undecided

Postby rockermom » July 26th, 2006, 8:02 am

Dont get scared. If you get tough he will get better. He is new in your home and a shelter dog. Shelter dogs are great dogs and often will be very devoted to you. He is just testing the water and trying to be the big dog. You have to put him in his place. NILIF works great. I used it with Rocky from day one and still do today. No on the furniture. No sleeping in the beds. He must wait in the crate for command to eat. I go down stairs first. No cutting me off. Sit and wait to be told to go out. Are just some of the rules Rocky has. He was a pretty calm puppy but liked to nipp and tried to be dominent especially over my 11 yr old. It has gotten much better 8 mos later, oh my gosh I cant believe he has been here that long. But even today he falls back on some of his problems and I have to get mean. I have used the shaker can as someone suggested. He was a counter surfer. It got dangerous when he stole knives from the sink. It was constant like every couple of minutes he was on counters. I set him up and tossed the can from another room. Never surfed again. However he is scared poop of that can. If he even sees that can, or if he hears the slightest sound of it he runs and hides . Only that can. I keep it in the pantry for emergency, however if I accidently touch it he is gone wondering what he did. I do not regret using it cause nothing stopped him. Not a sprayer not firm no's or ehhh's or crating. But you must know how bad it scared him. I did feel horrible. But he is not up on the counters 8 mos later. For the biting the most effective was to scream oweee like Im in horrible pain even if it did not hurt. He would stop and lick the area he nipped.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Sarahdee » July 26th, 2006, 9:32 am

well, I know that I don't want to use the crate for punishment, but I have to do it.
I don't yell at him, I just say crate and he goes right in.
Last night, I was sitting watching TV and he came over and grabbed my hair (I had it in a bun) so the whole thing. He was pulling my head to the ground. Basically playing tug of war with my hair. I tried to pry him off my head, but that didn't work, I was being very loud and telling him no, but he wouldn't let go. Finally when he did, he knew he was bad and went right in his crate. I didn't hear one peep from him. He knew it was wrong.
I had the leash on him all day yesterday, but he is still chewing it, I can't get him to stop. Then when I do try to make him stop, he starts biting me.
So, I have to use the crate, I am really tired of having black and blue marks all over my body. He doesn't let go.
The loud no's don't work, I tried changing the word to enough, he could care less.
the only thing that works is the rock can.
I don't know, but it gets pretty frustrating.
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 26th, 2006, 10:01 am

Yah I put Satin in the crate just for a time-out. I don't think it's a big deal. She is fine in her crate. She just goes in there like ho-hum, ok I am out of control.
Yah, I think Michelle is right, a trainer is probably in order at this point. I think it can definitely be worked on, he is still a baby. I love the pic of him in your avatar, his face is so cute.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Sarahdee » July 26th, 2006, 11:55 am

I know I just love that little guy to pieces.
He makes me so happy, but at the same time it is stressful.
He is in obedience classes right now.
And he did excellent at the last class.
But I think I need to find someone to come to my house and work one on one with me.
No matter how mean I get, it doesn't seem to bother him.
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Magnolia618 » July 26th, 2006, 1:15 pm

Try using one of those chain leashes. He probably wont want to chew on that.

I'm not really sure why you cant just stop him from chewing on his normal leash. If he starts, take it away and hold it at the base so he cant get to it. If he bites you, MAKE him stop.
Magnolia618
I live here

PreviousNext

Return to Training & Behavior