my baby keeps biting me....

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Sarahdee » July 28th, 2006, 9:10 am

My little guy was great yesterday!!
I got home, we went out in the yard and played, then I came in and fed him.
Then did some things around the house.
We then jumped in the car and went to my mom's house.
He was great over there. Then we went home and watched some
animal cops and then went for our walk. I made him stay with me at all times in every room. And made him sit before he could go out or play with his toys.
As soon as he opened his mouth to bite, I took his toys away and walked in the other room.
He immediately layed down.
So, I think that is going to work out for him. I'm sure I will have bad days, but I will just keep being consistent.
thanks everyone!
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby rockermom » July 28th, 2006, 10:04 am

Yep that NILIF and leaving the room works great. And Im sorry if i suggested to do an alpha roll. I did not realize that was what that was I guess. But when I am playing on the floor with Rocky and he starts getting too rough all I do is put my hand near his neck. Usually he is already upside down or on his side. If he is biting and I go near his neck with my hand he rolls on his back and stops. I suppose it is not a good thing for people to do. But Im already on the floor and I dont force him to roll he kind of just does it the minute you take hold of the collar and say no bite. Also I am wondering what you all mean by the jesus moment? What exactly do you do? Im sure everyones is different can we hear about how you do your come to jesus moment?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 28th, 2006, 11:24 am

maybe it is like the voice of God- like a thunderous moment or something? I just try to lower my voice because she responds to that better.

Glad Bronx is catching on!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Sarahdee » July 28th, 2006, 3:05 pm

whew, me too!! I will just have to keep doing what I'm doing until he has it down.
obedience class tomorrow!!
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Jenn » July 28th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Good luck at class! :)
Jenn
undecided

Postby chance's mom » July 28th, 2006, 7:45 pm

one thing that worked for me and chance, i use tapatio hot sauce. when he bites me i get the bottle put it on my hand and put my hand in his mouth. or put it directly in his mouth. after i do that i ignore him. or if we play and he gets too rought i walk away and ignore him. it works.
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 29th, 2006, 8:06 am

Generally, a "come to Jesus" meeting, at least in my book, is when you get right in the dog's face, lower your voice so it's almost a growl, and let them know that if they ever do that kind of behavior again they will be meeting their maker, in no uncertain terms. I'm sure the specifics vary, but I think it's more about the intent. :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » July 29th, 2006, 8:12 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Generally, a "come to Jesus" meeting, at least in my book, is when you get right in the dog's face, lower your voice so it's almost a growl, and let them know that if they ever do that kind of behavior again they will be meeting their maker, in no uncertain terms. I'm sure the specifics vary, but I think it's more about the intent. :wink:

This approach has worked for me several times!

I've also been known to grab the tongue or lip of the dog biting/mouthing and give them a little shake and say "NO BITE" in the Voice of God. None of my dogs mouth any more, even when super-excited.

Voice of God: a low deep voice, and the command it said VERY firmly and somewhat loudly, but not in a shouting or yelling voice. Keep your voice as a command, and have no excitement or frustration enter your voice.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 29th, 2006, 8:15 am

The "Voice of God" - I like that!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby rockermom » July 29th, 2006, 9:48 am

Oh ok if I do that low deep voice and take hold of the snout or collar or anything of the sorts Rocky just rolls over and gives this weird look, wont look directly at you, just this "I was not doing anything". "It was not me". I hate when kids say that!!!
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » July 29th, 2006, 1:46 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Generally, a "come to Jesus" meeting, at least in my book, is when you get right in the dog's face, lower your voice so it's almost a growl, and let them know that if they ever do that kind of behavior again they will be meeting their maker, in no uncertain terms. I'm sure the specifics vary, but I think it's more about the intent. :wink:

Works for me. Depending on the offence there may also be a correction involced but with mine, the "moma's pissed off voice" often does the trick.
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby rockermom » July 29th, 2006, 2:43 pm

Ok so my next question first I understand that what is consider alpha roll is not acceptable nor a good idea. So If the ol voice of god does not work and you have to do a correction. What exactly is the type of correction for lets say too much play biting? Back talk kind of thing? Need to know all this since both Sarah and I have pups in the teen stage and I am not sure how to correct the back talk and rebellion other than the voice of god. What if they do something I consider really bad and they wont stop. What ya do?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » July 29th, 2006, 8:04 pm

With mine a jerk on the collar or a shake of the scuff of the neck is usually all it would take. Don't be afraid to be FIRM with your dog. My dogs are fully aware that this is MY world and they're just living in it. Justice is very vocal & "back talks" to this day, as long as she does what she is told while she is grumbling she can do it to her hearts content. My dogs are FAR from well-trained, but they are trained enough to know they need to do what is expected of them. Justice bit & played rough for quite a while when she was a puppy, it was hard to break her of it but I never backed down to her, if I told her no she better stop what she was doing or she got a firmer correction.
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Sarahdee » July 31st, 2006, 1:49 pm

I am so excited! Bronx did excellent at his class.
This week we did sit, down, stand.
"leave it" command
and "come".

They used Bronx for every example because he did so well!!
This week he has listened to me very well and has not bit me once!
I think the NILF and his classes are working out great.
I know I will have other issues in time, but I know what is working and I'm going to keep up with it.
We keep practicing everything we learned in class at least 3 times a day!
I stayed after class and talked with the trainers, they gave me panthlets on training him to be a therapy dog! I would be so excited if he did that!
They said I have an excellent dog and the next time they see me(in the next couple years) they want to hear that he passed the test to become a therapy dog :) :) :) :)
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » July 31st, 2006, 2:10 pm

that is great news sarah!!! keep up the nilif and daily training practices, it will take time but it will work...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Sarahdee » July 31st, 2006, 3:38 pm

Thanks, I'm so glad he is doing better!!
I will keep it up :)

It was funny, he did so good all class, and when everyone left I told him to sit, and I looked and him and said you are just too cute and he jumped all over me.
I guess I can't treat him like a little baby :)
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 31st, 2006, 5:05 pm

That's awesome! Good boy Bronx! And kudos to you for sticking to it!! :)
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Maryellen » July 31st, 2006, 5:06 pm

some dogs just cant be treated like a baby, it happens.. at least you now recognize that, and can get him under control. you just cant baby him thats all, which isnt that bad either.. if he does that great with obedience work, maybe incorporate an agility class too??? it will burn off some of his energy, and make his mind think, which will tire him out mentally...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » July 31st, 2006, 6:51 pm

Glad to hear things are getting better.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 1st, 2006, 8:42 am

Maryellen wrote:some dogs just cant be treated like a baby, it happens.. at least you now recognize that, and can get him under control. you just cant baby him thats all, which isnt that bad either.. if he does that great with obedience work, maybe incorporate an agility class too??? it will burn off some of his energy, and make his mind think, which will tire him out mentally...

Good idea!!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

PreviousNext

Return to Training & Behavior