Treadmill Advice

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby satanscheerleader » January 22nd, 2006, 9:16 pm

So Arez really likes the treadmill but, here's the problem. If I don't use a toy, she won't run. She just stands there and barks at me, wanting a toy as a lure. But when I use the toy, it becomes more about the toy and less about running. It's more like an extremely intense RUN RUN RUN LUNGE RUN RUN RUN LUNGE the whole time so by the time we are done the treadmill is three feet further ahead than the spot it started from. Not that that matters but she'd get a better workout if she would just full out run. The only time she ever ran full out was when my friend was over and we were talking and ignoring her for a bit and the toy was on the chair in front of the treadmill and she just hightailed it trying to get the toy. I tried to use this tecnique again but she's damn smart and can't be tricked into it again. I should never have used a lure in the first place but now the trick is to "uncondition" her, I guess. Anyone have any bright ideas? :shrug:
Last edited by satanscheerleader on January 22nd, 2006, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 22nd, 2006, 9:17 pm

maybe a fishing pole with the toy or a treat at the end of it ??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 22nd, 2006, 9:21 pm

does she like the treadmill or do you have to 'fool' her into running?

Maybe remove her from the treadmill when she barks?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby satanscheerleader » January 22nd, 2006, 9:21 pm

I do have a flirt pole and I have thought about it but she won't chase it in the yard because she is too obsessed with chewing on the tire. :shock: I will try it tonight though. I have a feeling it might have the same effect but you never know until you try. :shrug:
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 22nd, 2006, 9:24 pm

what about placing the tire in the room?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby satanscheerleader » January 22nd, 2006, 9:24 pm

mnp13 wrote:does she like the treadmill or do you have to 'fool' her into running?

Maybe remove her from the treadmill when she barks?

She does like the treadmill but she likes it for the wrong reason! LOL
I'll give that a shot as well. :shrug:
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » January 22nd, 2006, 9:30 pm

Maryellen wrote:what about placing the tire in the room?

I was hoping she'd like the wheel barrow tires I got as they are smaller and CLEAN but she only likes it when it is tied in the tree and covered in mud. :shock: I'll try one of the car tires in the yard. You guys are just full of ideas! :D
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Romanwild » January 22nd, 2006, 10:30 pm

Wow, I don't know. Maybe start over. Do you use a clicker?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby satanscheerleader » January 22nd, 2006, 10:49 pm

I never have but I'm open to trying. I really want her to get a good work out on this treadmill. She's so drivey, has wicked stamina, rock solid physically and would look wicked nice and defined. The lure method worked awesome for Tank. To bad he doesn't have the wind that she has! :funny:
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Return to Training & Behavior