I feel Bad.

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby rockermom » June 15th, 2006, 10:22 am

Im feeling like a bad mommy right now. Recently we had a brief scare when Rocky got out the door and ran playing his keep away game. So today I put up a garden fence which wobbles so he wont go near it. We were working recalls off lead in the yard. He decided to run and do zoomies and not listen at all. Well he ran right for me when I called him and ran chest on right into my knee and he keeps running past. OHH The pain. I was holding a small basketball and with the pain I threw the ball Rocky runs by and it hits him square in the head. Oh did I feel bad. However he stopped running wild. Now he wont go near that ball. And he is following me around the yard. I have a hell of a back ache. Feel like I was in a car accident. Man this dog is strong.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 15th, 2006, 10:51 am

Awwww....poor guy...

And poor you!!!! Pits running at you full force can hurt!!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » June 15th, 2006, 10:53 am

ouch!! but why are you working OFF LEAD recalls?? a garden fence wont hold him if he sees an animal he wants, and if his recalls are not solid, you should be working him only on a 20 or 30 foot long line leash instead.. or in a completely enclosed fenced tennis yard or something.... thats taking too much of a chance for him to take off..especially since you state he was doing the keep away game.. also teach him to not bolt out the door when it opens. none of mine will bolt out the door if i open it, as i taught them mommie gets very very mad if they do that..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » June 15th, 2006, 11:21 am

Well he did not bolt out the door I was outside and he opened the door and came out. He has to sit stay when I open the door which is what he does. The garden fence is what I have used when he first came. It is one of those green metal enclosures I put it up like an xpen. It moves with the wind and he wont go to close to it. Afraid it will fall. He fears fences and gates that move ever since the baby gate has fallen down the stairs a few times. so I just lean the baby gate, he wont go near it or try to jump it. After he crashed into me I put the long lead on him so I could step on it if I needed to. Do you know of any good fenced in areas to work a recall?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » June 15th, 2006, 11:25 am

The reason I was working off is because when he is on the 30 ft lead he comes knowing he gets the treat. When he is off the lead and not paying attention I was trying to get his attention in an enclosed area. In other words when out running and keeping away I want him to come when I mean it. Just in case he does get out.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 15th, 2006, 11:28 am

try a tennis court that is fully fenced, or maybe your dads agility place ? does he have an indoor arena?

if rocky is afraid of the moving fence that is good, but if an enticing dog or animal was on the other side you dont know what he would do... just err on the side of caution.
asfar as him opening up the door, that is one smart dog.. what if you shut the wooden door too? this way he cant get out?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » June 15th, 2006, 11:38 am

Well now I know the sliding door has to be completely closed. He slides the screen so usually I have the heavy glass slider just opened a little so he cant get out. I was out others were in not sure if he sqoze through or if he actually pushed the heavy door. My dads agility course is not fenced on 60 acres. The dogs stay in the yard. THis is why I have not brought Rocky yet in fear of him taking off. I am keeping a good eye out there with him. He knows where the fence is and makes fast turns when zooming. Believe it or not he does not pay much attention to the squirls or cats roaming. Another dog however not sure how that would go. This garden fencing is also not all four sides there is my neighbor behind me wooden stockade and the other side is my house.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Return to Training & Behavior