Housetraining ideas?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 11th, 2011, 10:13 am

No, not for Inara. She was the easiest dog in the world to housetrain! For one of my training clients. Because Inara was so easy to housetrain, I have really very little experience in doing so. My client's dog is an intact 3 1/2 year old Min Pin. They got him from a co-worker's friend who could no longer keep him. They've only had him about 3 weeks, so I know that's part of it. They are planning on getting him neutered. He is crate-trained and has a huge mansion of a crate (it's probably a 36").

When I met with them, they were in the process of switching him from Kibbles & Bits onto the Kirkland brand food. I recommended they start throwing parties when he goes potty outside, and take him out on a very regimented schedule. Her husband is out of work right now and home, so I suggested taking him out on the hour, every hour, just to give him plenty of chances to do the right thing. I also made sure they knew to feed him twice a day at approximately the same time to get his poop on a schedule.

Well, she sent me this email today:

B is doing great with all of his training, except pottying. He will go out and 20 mins later poop in his cage! We have been trying hard this week with keeping him on a schedule and keeping him in his cage. If he potties outside (which we click and treat) we let him play for a while before going back to his cage. If he doesn't go, then we put him right back in his cage. We have also noticed that he won't poop, unless he is on a walk. I am wondering if we need to buy a smaller cage? Also when I click and treat him outside for pooping and peeing, he really doesn't seem impressed. He actually ignores the treat at times. (weird?) He has also began peeing in the house again. (ugh).

I am going to loan them a smaller, more appropriately-sized crate to see if that helps. I also suggested that they figure out what he really enjoys doing outside (chase, fetch, tug, etc) and do that instead of offering treats after he potties. I also suggested a belly band for the marking while we figure things out, as well as a vet visit just to rule out the rare chance of something medical vs. behavioral.

What else can I recommend for them? I feel at such a loss with housetraining issues!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amalie79 » November 11th, 2011, 10:48 am

I also suggested that they figure out what he really enjoys doing outside (chase, fetch, tug, etc) and do that instead of offering treats after he potties. I also suggested a belly band for the marking while we figure things out, as well as a vet visit just to rule out the rare chance of something medical vs. behavioral.

The "real world" rewards were a big help with us. My girls both wanted to run and tree squirrels and got distracted by all the cool stuff outside instead of peeing. They didn't get off-leash time until they peed, and when they did pee, I unleashed them while they were still squatting. I also had to take them out separately for a while when Luna was housetraining, since she just wanted to do what the big girls were doing.

I've not had too much trouble training to poop outside-- since Luna was a puppy, we went outside within about 10 minutes of eating and she almost always went outside; if I waited too long, she almost always went in the house. Scheduling their food and getting them regular was the best thing we ever did.

And for belly bands, those suckers are expensive. I bought a yard of cheap flannel at WalMart, cut it to fit Simon's waist, and used stitch witchery instead of sewing, then I hand sewed the velcro. Used Poise pads cut in half (or thirds, for a little Min Pin ;-) ) and that worked great. Only cost a few bucks, and I was able to make several out of that yard so I could have one in the wash while he wore the other.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » November 11th, 2011, 11:04 am

Where did they get the pup originally, do they know? That can have a LOT to do with it. My pet store rescues were MUCH harder to potty train. Rip and Inara were both originally pet store pups (Odd too, but he's been fine). When I adopted Inara at 1 1/2 years old, she still wasn't fully housetrained...all behavioral, no medical issues.

When Rip was young, he'd go out and come back and immediately pee and poop in his crate...because that's what you do in a pet store. That's where you potty. It was a very long, difficult road with him.

What you've suggested so far is a great idea...I'd add that they need to get a small crate definitely. Rip was in perfectly sized crate, but he'd just poop and stomp through it...lay in it, etc. Because that's what you do in a pet store. He had no issues with "fouling his nest". So I stopped giving him bedding...he'd poop/pee in the towels/blankets and push them out of the way. He got a bath everytime he messed himself. He got rewarded HEAVILY for outside peeing, and he never ever got the chance to mess in the house itself...he was under close supervision at all times. Scheduling feeding times is good too...so you know when they're going to have to poop. If he has to take a walk to poop (I had one dog, Elwood, that would only poop in his own yard...the opposite problem! lol)...so be it, take him for a walk...you can take shorter and shorter walks and wean him off of that idea later.

Neutering may help with the marking...though that might be a little too late...since it's become a habit now. But definitely worth a shot! Again though...close supervision, tying him to someone so he can't wander and pee...that's what I'd recommend.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TheRedQueen » November 11th, 2011, 11:06 am

sorry for the db...pbt was running slow, and I hit submit twice. Can someone delete one please?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 11th, 2011, 4:21 pm

Thank you both.

I already told them that neutering probably wouldn't help with the marking but it would be better for his health in the long run.

I'm not sure where the original owner got him. I'll have to ask my client. I hadn't thought about that.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » November 11th, 2011, 5:19 pm

And they can always block off the HUGE crate so he doesn't have total access...crate dividers aren't terribly expensive.

I'd be interested to know if this was a life-long problem, or if it's new behavior...if they can find out from the former owners.

TheRedQueen

Return to Training & Behavior