Diesel dog aggressive

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » November 2nd, 2011, 9:00 pm

SisMorphine wrote:I have never owned a dog that actually liked intact males. I would say that is a very normal canine behavior for ANY breed. Even my Greyhound who I used a lot to help with dogs who had dog to dog issues could not be used with intact males because he was so intent on going after them. And if we were someplace with an intact male Wally would know WAY before I would know, and I could easily take his cues on who to stay away from.

Hey...everyone loves The Wiener... 8)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby donnynannette » November 2nd, 2011, 9:22 pm

I do not let diesel around dogs if i can avoid it. I took diesel for a walk just the other day and even though i kindly told a person with two dogs that diesel does not like other dogs he kept walking towards us before i could get across the street. Like i said before i have to take him for long walks because we have a very small yard and he needs the exercise. I try to avoid dogs at all cost right now which i understand is not helping the situation. I am avoiding it because i need to feel confident. The reason i muzzle him is because this is what i was told by a trainer they said to muzzle him and let him learn that dogs are not a threat with the muzzle on. I have been told by other people that the muzzle should not be used so like i said i am clueless.
donnynannette
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » November 2nd, 2011, 9:35 pm

Step one: teach him to pay attention to you and to respond to his name...this is easy to do at home and in the yard, to get it solid before you "take it on the road". The more attention your dog gives you, and the more he learns that it pays off, the easier it will be to take him out.

Some videos on teaching attention:
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTSuPk2Ccjo
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POM8wwnRSk4
Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFhtFt6Qy6g

A video explaining and demonstrating Leslie McDivitt's "Look At That Game"...a game that will help with distraction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POprQmrJ ... re=related
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » November 2nd, 2011, 9:51 pm

Fantastic article by Kathy Sdao about leash reactivity...with training advice!

http://www.kathysdao.com/articles/Leash ... _Dogs.html

and one of my favorite articles on diffusing aggressive behaviors:

http://www.clickersolutions.com/article ... ession.htm

TheRedQueen

Postby DemoDick » November 2nd, 2011, 9:55 pm

donnynannette wrote:The reason i muzzle him is because this is what i was told by a trainer they said to muzzle him and let him learn that dogs are not a threat with the muzzle on.

Whoever told you that is an idiot. A muzzle will make every problem you're dealing with worse.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby copperlegend » November 3rd, 2011, 9:14 am

Yeah, please stop muzzling him.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amalie79 » November 3rd, 2011, 11:44 am

Just something to throw in to the mix-- you said you have to take him on long walks to get his exercise... You'd be surprised at how much mental stimulation will wear out your dog. Playing games (hide and seek) or teaching a new trick or cue will tire a dog out more than you could imagine. So if you have to take a long walks hiatus while you start getting his attention under control, that's a great way to wear him out; just don't over-feed him in the meantime.

We started, a year or so ago, using eye contact as a default behavior. I have spent a lot of time clicking and treating eye contact offered to me by my dog; I have it on cue, too, but I prefer it when they offer it to me. They offer it before they get their meals, before leaving the crate, before moving forward on a walk, before getting a treat I set on the ground. It's their way of saying please, and solidifying that kind of default behavior inside the house goes a long way when you're outside the house.

Good luck!!
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby donnynannette » November 3rd, 2011, 1:39 pm

Thank you for all of the articles and videos i read and watched them a bunch of times. And i will not use a muzzle on diesel. I do have another question in one of the articles it said that once you get your dog to pay attention inside the house and outside in the yard to take him somewhere where he will see the feared object. Which would be dogs in this case. they made the suggestion of a vets office or a local park. Do you have any suggestion we do have a local shelter nearby. I worry if i take him to the park the dogs will be to close like i said he is reactive when the dog is very far away. Also i read about stepping into his boudry and making him follow a circle with me. When i do this do i continue giving him treats. Thank you so much. You guys make me feel like there is hope and that diesel can go out and act acceptable. LOL. I cant wait until i can take him for long relaxed walks. I love to walk as it relaxes me when he is being good and we do not seeother dogs i am very relaxed. LOL.
donnynannette
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » November 3rd, 2011, 5:42 pm

amalie79 wrote:Just something to throw in to the mix-- you said you have to take him on long walks to get his exercise... You'd be surprised at how much mental stimulation will wear out your dog. Playing games (hide and seek) or teaching a new trick or cue will tire a dog out more than you could imagine. So if you have to take a long walks hiatus while you start getting his attention under control, that's a great way to wear him out; just don't over-feed him in the meantime.

We started, a year or so ago, using eye contact as a default behavior. I have spent a lot of time clicking and treating eye contact offered to me by my dog; I have it on cue, too, but I prefer it when they offer it to me. They offer it before they get their meals, before leaving the crate, before moving forward on a walk, before getting a treat I set on the ground. It's their way of saying please, and solidifying that kind of default behavior inside the house goes a long way when you're outside the house.

Good luck!!

Oooh...good ideas here!

Mental stimulation...great! Game ideas:
http://dogtrainer.quickanddirtytips.com ... ather.aspx

TheRedQueen

Postby donnynannette » November 8th, 2011, 7:46 pm

I havnt posted in a while but today was a great day with diesel. I Went to the back alley and had diesel on a long leash. I had treats took me a while to figure out which treats meant more to him then a dog. LOL. He loves the natural balance rolls i can get the little ones at my store for 99 cents and then i cut them up small so i have lots of treats available. When we were out back i heard the two litle dogs up a couple houses barking i was thinking great oppurtunity to teach diesel focus on me. We have been working on the look game for a while and he is great at it but without distractions so i figured now was a great time. I took diesel closer to the dogs in behind the fence but not close enough to go over board and when he heard the dogs and looked i immediatly shoveled the treats in his mouth he didnt make a sound. LOL. When i was out of the treats in my hand i said Diesel come and he came and i gave him so much praise. We did this a couple of times. Then stopped then did it some more later. At the end of the day diesel was able to see the dogs through the fence and not react he would eat the treats and not make a fuss and when i was out of treats he would turn and look at me like are we walking away yet. I am so happy thanks for all of your help. I will continue posting our progress. Does anyone else have any favorite treats. I would like to switch them up so he doesnt get board and loose interest. We are also working on his recalls with his long leash attached. He is doing fantastic with this too. I am so proud of him. I know i have a long way to go but i am starting to believe he will be able to be out in public and not act like a goof. LOL! :)
donnynannette
Just Whelped

Postby Tubular Toby » November 8th, 2011, 10:02 pm

I love the natural balance rolls for high value rewards for my own dog when we work on these issues. Other things you might want to try- peanut butter and canned dog food. I learned about these awesome tubes that you can fill with whatever you want. You could put canned food into them and squeeze it out as a treat. Stuff like that works great because you're also getting the dog to lick (calming signal!) and you can continuously squeeze some out as an extra long reward/keeping his attention.
For example: http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-trainin ... _rewrite=1
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » November 8th, 2011, 10:43 pm

Tubular Toby wrote:I love the natural balance rolls for high value rewards for my own dog when we work on these issues. Other things you might want to try- peanut butter and canned dog food. I learned about these awesome tubes that you can fill with whatever you want. You could put canned food into them and squeeze it out as a treat. Stuff like that works great because you're also getting the dog to lick (calming signal!) and you can continuously squeeze some out as an extra long reward/keeping his attention.
For example: http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-trainin ... _rewrite=1

I used to use re-usable travel shampoo bottles for baby food...for my dog Elwood for flyball.

You can find the re-usable food tubes at backpacking supply places cheaper:

http://www.rei.com/product/696007/coghl ... ckage-of-2

TheRedQueen

Postby ArtGypsy » November 8th, 2011, 11:40 pm

donnynannette wrote:I havnt posted in a while but today was a great day with diesel. I Went to the back alley and had diesel on a long leash. I had treats took me a while to figure out which treats meant more to him then a dog. LOL. He loves the natural balance rolls i can get the little ones at my store for 99 cents and then i cut them up small so i have lots of treats available. When we were out back i heard the two litle dogs up a couple houses barking i was thinking great oppurtunity to teach diesel focus on me. We have been working on the look game for a while and he is great at it but without distractions so i figured now was a great time. I took diesel closer to the dogs in behind the fence but not close enough to go over board and when he heard the dogs and looked i immediatly shoveled the treats in his mouth he didnt make a sound. LOL. When i was out of the treats in my hand i said Diesel come and he came and i gave him so much praise. We did this a couple of times. Then stopped then did it some more later. At the end of the day diesel was able to see the dogs through the fence and not react he would eat the treats and not make a fuss and when i was out of treats he would turn and look at me like are we walking away yet. I am so happy thanks for all of your help. I will continue posting our progress. Does anyone else have any favorite treats. I would like to switch them up so he doesnt get board and loose interest. We are also working on his recalls with his long leash attached. He is doing fantastic with this too. I am so proud of him. I know i have a long way to go but i am starting to believe he will be able to be out in public and not act like a goof. LOL! :)

:confetti: :confetti: :confetti: :confetti: :confetti: :confetti:

CONGRATULATIONS on your Progress!!

I'm really glad you were able to learn some new things and use them ..seeing the results makes it so much easier to stick with it!!

I'm not the person to ask about treats, but I did learn some things from Erin!! :wink:

THINK TINY is one thing I had to remind myself of.....little bits of 'high value' treats go along way.

I am also not as DEDICATED :rolleyes2: as Erin, so My stuff for Dar tends to be on the lazy side....(she bakes amazing things for her dogs...AMAZING, I'M-TELLING-YOU!!)

Like for Freezing Kongs, for instance...I bake a potato and then add something like the canned Natural Balance (potato/duck) food to it (to make it go further. adds lots of carbs though)...

Add some peanut butter to the potato, or mix some Sardine with Oatmeal.... :puke: .....but it makes for cheap kong filller, LOL>>>>>

(I don't do a lot of grain, just because I suspected Dar had some allergy to grains--thus the NB food...))>

But Over All..way to go!!
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby donnynannette » November 8th, 2011, 11:44 pm

wow thats neat. Never thought to do that. He loves peanut butter. I will probably try the shampoo bottles first and if its a hit then i will buy one of the better ones. Thanks again for the great advice. We are getting there slowly. :)
donnynannette
Just Whelped

Postby ArtGypsy » November 8th, 2011, 11:52 pm

donnynannette wrote:wow thats neat. Never thought to do that. He loves peanut butter. I will probably try the shampoo bottles first and if its a hit then i will buy one of the better ones. Thanks again for the great advice. We are getting there slowly. :)

**I'm glad you hung around** :wink:
ArtGypsy

Postby amalie79 » November 9th, 2011, 10:51 am

Rotisserie chicken. It's my golden treat-- the one they get if nothing else is working. :) I found out that WalMart sells the day-old chickens in the cold Deli section for $4. Easier to carve than a hot one. Just chunk it up and freeze it if you won't use it all in a few days (just the meat-- NO BONES!!). I also keep string cheese and hot dogs handy.

For store bought treats, we've also used the NB rolls, but we've started using Red Barn rolls, as they don't crumble like the NB ones do, unless you want them to crumble. We buy the huge rolls and just chop into little pieces and freeze. Things like that are really good when you need to be able to crumble it on the ground (takes them longer to eat the treat, making the reward last longer, and as Kristen pointed out, the sniffing and licking manufacture calming signals)-- the Red Barn ones just don't fall apart when you don't want them to. :)

Cloud Star Soft Buddy Biscuits are a HUGE hit-- I like them because they're soft, but can still break into pieces (makes them stretch a little further), and I can pop a few in my pocket for impromptu treating or for when we're weaning off of the bait bags. Also, you can save Cloud Star proofs of purchase and get "treats" for humans through their website. 8)

My lab also loves the Kong IQ treats that are 100% Salmon. That's it. Just baked Salmon wafers. THEY STINK. But when I've really needed her to pay attention, they certainly get her to stop and look at me. I just carry hand wipes when we're out in public. 8)

In the house, I use their kibble. They like it, and luckily they are all food motivated enough that they work for anything edible when distractions are low. That makes it easier for me to adjust their meals to keep them from getting fat. ;-)

Erin(TheRedQueen)'s recipe for training treats with tapioca starch, peanut butter and molasses have also been very, very well-received. I freeze large batches and they last a little while.

Fo distractions, I find the smellier the better-- and most dogs will flip for chicken.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » November 9th, 2011, 2:12 pm

:goodStuff: :goodStuff: :goodStuff:

amalie79 wrote:Rotisserie chicken. It's my golden treat-- the one they get if nothing else is working. :) I found out that WalMart sells the day-old chickens in the cold Deli section for $4. Easier to carve than a hot one. Just chunk it up and freeze it if you won't use it all in a few days (just the meat-- NO BONES!!). I also keep string cheese and hot dogs handy.

For store bought treats, we've also used the NB rolls, but we've started using Red Barn rolls, as they don't crumble like the NB ones do, unless you want them to crumble. We buy the huge rolls and just chop into little pieces and freeze. Things like that are really good when you need to be able to crumble it on the ground (takes them longer to eat the treat, making the reward last longer, and as Kristen pointed out, the sniffing and licking manufacture calming signals)-- the Red Barn ones just don't fall apart when you don't want them to. :)

Cloud Star Soft Buddy Biscuits are a HUGE hit-- I like them because they're soft, but can still break into pieces (makes them stretch a little further), and I can pop a few in my pocket for impromptu treating or for when we're weaning off of the bait bags. Also, you can save Cloud Star proofs of purchase and get "treats" for humans through their website. 8)

My lab also loves the Kong IQ treats that are 100% Salmon. That's it. Just baked Salmon wafers. THEY STINK. But when I've really needed her to pay attention, they certainly get her to stop and look at me. I just carry hand wipes when we're out in public. 8)

In the house, I use their kibble. They like it, and luckily they are all food motivated enough that they work for anything edible when distractions are low. That makes it easier for me to adjust their meals to keep them from getting fat. ;-)

Erin(TheRedQueen)'s recipe for training treats with tapioca starch, peanut butter and molasses have also been very, very well-received. I freeze large batches and they last a little while.

Fo distractions, I find the smellier the better-- and most dogs will flip for chicken.
ArtGypsy

Postby donnynannette » November 9th, 2011, 9:20 pm

Today i was in petco looking around for bat bait bags i want one that is easy for me to get to fast when i really need the treats. Anyways, they were having dog training when i was there. The dog trainer was there and saw me watching i guess i looked very interested because she came over and talked to me for a while. she said they could work with diesel by leaving him outside the area and just watching the dogs but i dont think this will work with diesel because he gets so hyped up and very loud. I wish there was a way i could take a video of how he acts so you could see it. The trainer was very nice. I also noticed they were training all the dogs using positive reinforcement except one german shepard the dog was back in the corner and any time a dog would come near her she would raise her lip and snarl. The owner had a remote collar on her and would zap her when she misbehaved. I dont know if he was teaching her for police work because he was teaching her in another language. I was just wondering if this is normal for petco to advice you to use remote collars.

P.s cant wait to try the day old chicken Diesel would love these. Is the chicken just sitting out or do you have to ask for it. 4.00 is cheap.

Im glad i stuck around too. :dance:
donnynannette
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » November 9th, 2011, 11:35 pm

Please don't go to PetCo. Regardless of how nice the trainer is, you can not control the environment there, and at any time someone's dog can come charging up to you out of nowhere - and that could be a disaster. You need absolute control over his environment, and a retail store won't work for that.

As for the German Shepherd, many people train in other languages - but I can pretty much gaurentee you that any dog destined for police work is not getting their foundation at PetCo :wink: and I'm shocked that they were allowing it in the first place.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » November 10th, 2011, 12:41 am

mnp13 wrote:Please don't go to PetCo. Regardless of how nice the trainer is, you can not control the environment there, and at any time someone's dog can come charging up to you out of nowhere - and that could be a disaster. You need absolute control over his environment, and a retail store won't work for that.

As for the German Shepherd, many people train in other languages - but I can pretty much gaurentee you that any dog destined for police work is not getting their foundation at PetCo :wink: and I'm shocked that they were allowing it in the first place.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I remember how ALONE I felt when I first got Dar...... :nono: ...
Seemed no one on the planet had PIT BULLS except the thugs on T.V...*I live in Nebraska, about 50 miles from a 'major' city"..
So I too, almost took him back to petco/petsmart after seeing the classes being held there...
Back then I really REALLY wanted my dog to get training around other dogs (I admit, almost superstitiously believed I could control everything, lol)) and thought "well...they're TRAINERS aren't they?? :| :bs:

I started reading some stuff and then found the forum. :wave2:

Out here, I'm STILL ALONE......but I have the forum that I can TRUST, rather than poorly educated 'trainers' who dont' know the first real thing about REAL Dog Training...especially for dogs like Pit Bulls....

But Michelle is RIGHT......Those places are DISASTERS , lined up and ready to happen.

*not that you were thinking of taking Diesel there.....but just in case* :wink:
ArtGypsy

PreviousNext

Return to Training & Behavior