Fear based behaviors and corrections

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TinaMartin » October 27th, 2011, 3:54 pm

While Gator and Sorsha will let me take things from them I could not imagine doing so repeatedly. Heck Sorsha thinks she needs to share everything, especially if its smelly. Gator will resource guard if someone else is around. As a general rule I don't have people at my house. If someone is coming over I make sure Gator doesn't have anything to guard. When Charles is home we leave him in peace to eat. I think dogs should be allowed to be dogs. Both Gator and Sorsha eat their dinner in their crates. They are allowed chewies outside of their crate as long as I feel there are going to be no issues. Kaydra knows quite clearly that the dogs are to be left alone when chewing and has never questioned it. The only thing that she gets ticked about is not having friends over. While I know I can control what my child does I don't have the same control over someone elses. Michelle can vouch for what an asshat Gator is. Men in general are a big no no around him. Luck for me Charles never questions me when told how to do something around Gator. He will ask why so that he understands why things are done the way they are but will follow my lead on how to act with the dog.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » October 27th, 2011, 8:35 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:I'd bite someone who was getting into my food.

The very first time Demo met my mom's friend Gina, she almost got stabbed with a fork for that...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » October 27th, 2011, 8:41 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:One of my students was telling us how he sticks his hands in his dog's' food, and makes his dog eat out of his hand or just holds it in there while he's eating and even takes food and treats away from him just to prove he can.

When we first got Riggs, I hand fed him for weeks. There were many reasons for that - to teach him that "I bring good things," to reduce a chance of resource guarding "I bring good stuff, I don't take it away," to attempt to teach him to stop biting my hands - teeth on skin meant dinner was over, and to try to get him to slow down his eating. It worked quite well, but I didn't ever push it. Once we had trust down, yes, I did take his food away from time to time for no reason other than to make sure I could, but I stopped doing that a long time ago.

Hopefully he believes you before his dog decides to prove it to him.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DemoDick » October 28th, 2011, 7:25 pm

mnp13 wrote:"won't somebody think of the children???"

The correct response is always as follows: "Other people's dumb kids aren't my problem."

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby BigDogBuford » October 28th, 2011, 7:52 pm

One of my favorite George Carlin lines:

"It's not my fault some dumb bitch forgot to put her diaphragm in!"
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby DemoDick » October 28th, 2011, 7:54 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:One of my favorite George Carlin lines:

"It's not my fault some dumb bitch forgot to put her diaphragm in!"

It's the man's responsibility to pull out and aim...elsewhere.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby BigDogBuford » October 28th, 2011, 7:56 pm

Heh.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » November 2nd, 2011, 5:07 pm

Saw the dog this weekend in her crate from about 10 feet away. I opened the door to the room she was crated in, and that was it. She's still got a prong collar on. Fan-freekin-tastic.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 11th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Michelle, what ever happened with this?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » December 11th, 2012, 10:20 pm

The dog is wack-a-doo. Can't be around anyone outside of the family.

Last Christmas, they opened the van door when I was about four feet away from their car, not paying any attention to what they were doing (and unaware that the dog was in the car.) If Dan hadn't had ninja-like reflexes and grabbed her as she was leaping over the children, she would have connected. And she's considerably bigger now.

At camp this summer she made a serious attempt to come through the car window at me. Thank god she doesn't have a head like Connor or she would have been through.

I would like to reiterate that my ONLY interaction with this dog EVER was that single time standing still in their living room. I have never held her leash, given her a treat, and certainly no commands or corrections. She is, without a doubt, the poster child for incorrect use of prong collars and corrections.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 12th, 2012, 7:17 am

Wow. She sounds charming....
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » December 12th, 2012, 12:25 pm

Yeah, a REAL winner.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior