puppy housetraining..

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Maryellen » June 2nd, 2006, 10:37 am

oh ok. stupid breeder. at least you saved him..

puppies need to go out every 15-20minutes.. i would also put the crate in your bedroom on your side of the bed, this way the puppy will sleep better at night,andyou can hear him wimpering if he has to go.

regular water should be available at all times.. you can also leave a rabbit water bottle in the crate if you want while you are gone duringthe day too,this way he can get some water, but not too much .

a 4 month old pup can only hold its potty for maybe 3-4 hours max.. depending on the dog..

feed the little guy 4 times a day.. he needs that to grow good and strong. give him a cup of food each time, and you can soak it like you are doing, and add some canned in too if you want...
once the pup is around 3 months old, it will get easier.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » June 2nd, 2006, 10:39 am

What an awesome post, Katie. Very thorough, very helpful.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby anissa » June 2nd, 2006, 10:54 am

how does this schedule look? My daughter is almost 13, but very responsible for her age. My neighbor will be here to give Brock his meds (and obviously watch over my daughter) but it's my daughter who will be caring for the dogs.

Note: this just look like enough water to me. Should I add more, and where?

DAYTIME:

7:00am: potty, then back in kennel

7:30am: FEED & WATER, potty, back in kennel
(NO PLAY TIME for 1 hour after they eat to avoid bloating)

8:00am: potty, back in kennel

8:30am: potty, play time

9:00am: potty, back in kennel

9:30am: ice cube, potty, back in kennel

10:00am: potty, back in kennel

10:30am: ice cube, potty, back in kennel

11:00am: potty, back in kennel

11:30am: FEED & WATER, potty, back in kennel

12:00pm: potty, back in kennel

12:30pm: potty, back in kennel

1:00pm: potty, play time

1:30pm: ice cube, potty, back in kennel

2:00pm: potty, back in kennel

2:30pm: potty, play time

3:00pm: potty, back in kennel

3:30pm: FEED & WATER, potty, back in kennel

4:00pm: potty, back in kennel

4:30pm: potty, back in kennel

5:00pm: potty, play time

5:30pm: ice cube, potty, back in kennel

6:00pm: potty, back in kennel
6:30pm: potty, back in kennel

7:00pm: FEED & WATER, potty, back in kennel

7:30pm: potty, back in kennel

8:00pm: potty, back in kennel

8:30pm: potty, play time

9:00pm: potty, back in kennel

9:30pm: potty, play time

10:00pm: potty, bed time

NIGHTTIME

1:00am: potty, back in kennel

4:am: potty, back in kennel
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 2nd, 2006, 10:57 am

anissa wrote:I have a question Katie..

when was the pup getting water, other than the ice cubes and feedings?

and you only have 2 feedings listed?

The puppy was only getting water during those times....that were listed. I use ice instead of water so it's a little more controlled (and it makes their gums feel better during teething. Giving free access to water makes accidents more likely. I was looking for signs of gassing, etc...and would give ice if I thought she needed it....

Because of my work schedule I was only able to feed her twice a day. She got treats from the dog walker, but I am a big believer in having my scent on her food. I always wanted her meals to be hand prepared by me...and for me to be there when she ate (and I wanted to be the one to give her the food so that she knew that food came from me: her pack leader). While I would've liked to have fed more often, my work schedule (and many people's work schedules) did not permit it.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby anissa » June 5th, 2006, 1:06 am

Im back from our weekend getaway. My daughter handled the dogs very well (as I knew she would, or I wouldnt have left them with her) I wrote up the 'schedule' literally minutes before we had to walk out the door, and it's working! Granted, there have been missed potty breaks here, and more added there, but it's definately easier to have a set schedule. Brock cried alot the first night we were gone, but he was good last night.. and tonight he's been sleeping like a log. My family is coming from Canada in 2.5 weeks, I can only hope he'll be sleeping better by then. *I* can handle being woke up every couple of hours in the night, but I doubt thats how my family wants to spend their vacation.

Anyways, wanted to thank everyone again for the help & suggestions.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 5th, 2006, 6:50 am

anissa wrote:Im back from our weekend getaway. My daughter handled the dogs very well (as I knew she would, or I wouldnt have left them with her) I wrote up the 'schedule' literally minutes before we had to walk out the door, and it's working! Granted, there have been missed potty breaks here, and more added there, but it's definately easier to have a set schedule. Brock cried alot the first night we were gone, but he was good last night.. and tonight he's been sleeping like a log. My family is coming from Canada in 2.5 weeks, I can only hope he'll be sleeping better by then. *I* can handle being woke up every couple of hours in the night, but I doubt thats how my family wants to spend their vacation.

Anyways, wanted to thank everyone again for the help & suggestions.

I apologize as I left for the weekend before seeing your schedule. I'm glad it worked for you....Be patient, the puppy will learn to hold it as it matures. I tried increasing the time at night by about 15 minutes each week...Also, I have a warming disc that I put in Nisha's kennel before bed. You microwave it (time depends on strength of microwave) and it stays warm through the night. Putting this in with her (with a towel stuffed around it) and putting a stuffed animal in with her increased her night sleep time by about an hour. Because puppies that young are taken away from their warmth and comfort (mom and siblings) this can be a "replacement."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby anissa » June 5th, 2006, 7:21 am

I scheduled for 2 potty times in the night, and to my surprise.. Brock actually slept for 3+ hours between each potty last night. We dont have a warming disc, but I do fill a 2L bottle with warm water and put it in the kennel with him. It seems to help. He's really doing well for only being with us for 5 days. Im a proud mama :D
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 5th, 2006, 7:33 am

I'm glad everything is going well for you and the lil one! Please see my sticky post on training and socializing young puppies. I'm sure you'll find it very useful.

Post some pictures too please.

On another note. You really need to call animal control ASAP on this idiot BYB if you haven't already.Maybe you can also drop off some eductaional info to her and some spay neuter info

It is very sad that not only did she let them go so young, but also let an infection go untreated. :x Anytime a BYB is supported through a sale they are encouraged to breed more unfortuntely.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby msvette2u » June 13th, 2006, 6:12 pm

I only have one thing to add to this, and that's ALWAYS carry him to the door. If their feet hit the floor they will pee on it ;)
He won't "get used" to it, as he gets older he can hold it longer and can make it to the door. But at first, carry him.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » June 13th, 2006, 8:12 pm

msvette2u wrote:I only have one thing to add to this, and that's ALWAYS carry him to the door. If their feet hit the floor they will pee on it ;)
He won't "get used" to it, as he gets older he can hold it longer and can make it to the door. But at first, carry him.

Nisha squirmed to tell me she was done having me carry her

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder