"Ah-ha" Moments...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TinaMartin » April 26th, 2011, 3:46 pm

Malli wrote:here is our background :

For Oscar the best exercise he can get, other then a hike or a walk, is swimming.
When he swims the combination of the actual act plus the toys (which are not indestructible, and this sends his intensity through the roof :rolleyes2: ) sends him into really really intense drive.
We have even gone so far as to have two toys for swimming because he refuses to let go of one and then destroys it, so we "trade" after each retrieve.
When he is in this "state of mind", he is at his MOST frustrating for me - he doesn't listen well, he doesn't remember his manners, and he is extremely impulsive - once he had set his toy down and I reached under him to "sneak" it away and when he saw this he went for it, except he grabbed my hand >(

So anyway... I like to take him swimming because I know he likes it but it can be really frustrating and I have lost my temper(this is the bane of my existence in training, my temper) many times.

I took him for the first time all winter, just the other day; I thought before about staying relaxed all around. I kept my voice low except for praise (he seems to most like praise that sounds rediculous), and conciously kept my actions slower.
The improvement was immediate! :dance:
I was able to bend down next to him while holding the "trade" (because we always come to the point of me needing both toys when we leave!) and ask him to out, he did! Even as much as to take a step back instead of standing over it. :D I did have to repeat, but....
I think I've also come to the conclusion that repeating a command in a high excitement/high drive situation isn't at all the same as having to do it under normal circumstances. I don't see it as a negative at this point.

We went again yesterday and had the same :)
I'm hopeful this will be the theme of our swims now!

YEAH!!!!!!!! :confetti:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby fenella » May 2nd, 2011, 11:00 pm

Great thread, Erin!

I was proud of both my guys...they were in full-on fence fight mode with the dog on the property behind mine. I stepped outside, gave an "Enough!", and they both came running. Yay for calling them off!
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » May 3rd, 2011, 8:26 am

fenella wrote:
I was proud of both my guys...they were in full-on fence fight mode with the dog on the property behind mine. I stepped outside, gave an "Enough!", and they both came running. Yay for calling them off!

Yea for Murph and Nitt!

Puzzle's been struggling with that one these past few weeks... :rolleyes2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » May 10th, 2011, 3:00 am

continued minor improvements for myself and for Os at the lake, + starting to work on a service dog task! Just for fun - grabbing a towel off wherever and fetching it, :lol3: we're only at targeting the towel and not consistently at that, but we'll see where we can get!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amalie79 » May 11th, 2011, 10:20 am

We've had a really good week! It's finally been warm and dry enough to spend some time outside working on LAT and leash skills. She's getting much much better at walking on a leash...

While we were out, a guy rolled up on his bike and I was sure it would set her off, but the guy stayed a few feet away while he talked to me about his AmBull and pit puppy and I kept clicking for LAT. :dance: She also met a new employee at the shop and did fabulously.

Last night at training, it was BAT 'n' mat night. Each dog worked on calm mat time (behind barriers) while one dog did BAT work. Adam was the decoy for the other three dogs (2 of which have particular fears of men) and the daughter of one dog-mom was Robin's decoy. It only took a couple of approaches before she'd figured out the game, and no major ventures into over-threshold territory. The real turning point was a particular approach where she took 3 really quick breaths like she was gearing up to bark/growl, and then turned to look at me instead. After a few minutes, she was happily approaching, wagging her tail. She even got to accept treats from the decoy, and then I had to drag her AWAY! lol

Our trainer said that my timing was good and Robin did so well that she wished she had the whole thing on tape. :mrgreen: I was pretty proud of us both.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Tubular Toby » May 11th, 2011, 11:35 pm

Congrats to you and Robin!

I took Toby on a walk today because I figured after the rains, it wouldn't be very busy. I was right. I used the leash/harness system I learned from Kathy Cascade. He's afraid of storm drains, but in a matter of minutes he was walking over one and sitting on it. After that, every drain we saw he had to investigate. Hurray for not being a scaredy cat!
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » May 12th, 2011, 2:36 am

yay Toby!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 19th, 2011, 7:07 am

Last night in class, the crazy Labrador (that Ginger says turns into Cujo - she's never even said that about Inara!) broke free of his owner and attacked the 10 yr old Border Terrier. Ginger was fortunately right there and snagged the Lab immediately so the BT escaped unscathed. I've never even seen Inara look as intent upon doing harm as that Lab was.

Anyway, even with all the ruckus and barking and hollering, Inara didn't bark. Not even once. She whipped around to see what was going on but then brought her attention back to me!!! Shocked the bejeezus out of me. Not sure if it's the calming collar she's been wearing for three weeks, new treats, or less protein in her diet, but I like it!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby copperlegend » May 19th, 2011, 8:54 am

Good girl, Inara!
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » May 19th, 2011, 9:45 am

Now that's a good update! Except for the poor border that is...;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby amalie79 » May 19th, 2011, 9:51 am

Yeah, Erin-- you sound very sympathetic. :wink:

Yay Inara!! Proof of a lot of hard work on both your parts!! And Liz, pray tell, what is this calming collar of which you speak...? :)

Robin's been wearing her Thundershirt to training and I think it's helping. She had a great class Tuesday-- she finally let the trainer approach us once class began (she's fine and good before and after class, but with all the other people and pups, she's been on edge), allowed her picture to be taken, and made a perfect loose leash approach to the building and perfect waits at the door coming and going. :mrgreen:

And so far, she's being a pretty good girl with our guest, if a bit pushy when she wants to play-- and considering we're now a house of 3 female dogs and 4 female cats and one female human, Adam and Chester the cat, as the only men, are fighting a losing battle. lol Our little guest has zero manners, and I'm determined to send her back to my mother with a few things on board. She's learning good eye contact and getting better at waiting for the food bowl and saying please before diving in. :dance: We're looking at it as a trial run on whether to foster and/or get a third dog.

It's gonna be a long week!
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 19th, 2011, 5:21 pm

This is the calming collar: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TL ... 17Q7PS2P9S I bought it from Ginger, though. I will say, at first it's really gross - very powdery and waaaaaay strong smelling, but after a couple days it gets to a manageable smell and smells good. Ginger said it works on some dogs, not on others. Like I said, not sure if it's the collar, treats or diet change, but something worked!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » May 24th, 2011, 8:08 am

:)

We had a lovely moment this past Sunday at The Wiener's birthday party. I have a friend that I met a few years ago when I was teaching flyball at a dog camp in NY state. She lives in N.VA. so I see her on special occasions, and we stay in touch via FB and email. She came to the party, and she hasn't seen Inara since last summer. When she first met Inara, years ago...Inara was in full-on-crazy-bitch-mode. This weekend, Inara barked briefly, and ran up and slammed herself into my friend (Dawn was sitting in a chair on the lawn)...and Inara turned her butt into her for scritches. Dawn just froze and wasn't sure what to do! lol I laughed and said..."oh, this is the new Inara, you can pet her like any other dog" She was amazed...and I still was a little bit too...it makes me happy to see my girl so relaxed and happy now.

TheRedQueen

Postby TinaMartin » May 24th, 2011, 9:07 am

TheRedQueen wrote::)

We had a lovely moment this past Sunday at The Wiener's birthday party. I have a friend that I met a few years ago when I was teaching flyball at a dog camp in NY state. She lives in N.VA. so I see her on special occasions, and we stay in touch via FB and email. She came to the party, and she hasn't seen Inara since last summer. When she first met Inara, years ago...Inara was in full-on-crazy-bitch-mode. This weekend, Inara barked briefly, and ran up and slammed herself into my friend (Dawn was sitting in a chair on the lawn)...and Inara turned her butt into her for scritches. Dawn just froze and wasn't sure what to do! lol I laughed and said..."oh, this is the new Inara, you can pet her like any other dog" She was amazed...and I still was a little bit too...it makes me happy to see my girl so relaxed and happy now.

:confetti: :bounce:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » June 3rd, 2011, 9:08 am

Another Inara break-through.

This past weekend...at flyball, she ran flyball for Emma (13 year old handler)...WITHOUT ME BEING NEARBY!

This is HUGE! There were only 2 other people that could run her in the past, and I always had to be hovering...so even if I was sick/hurt, I had to drag myself out into the lane so she could see me. This weekend, Emma took her out and ran her without me...*beaming* They've been slowly building up to this, I've been letting Emma walk her in and out of the building by herself, then in and out of the ring by herself...but I always showed up in the ring. In the past, if I wasn't there, Inara has stopped racing and has run out of the ring and building. Not anymore...now she just runs for Emma. Making us all VERY happy.

TheRedQueen

Postby Hundilein » June 3rd, 2011, 9:22 am

TheRedQueen wrote:Another Inara break-through.

This past weekend...at flyball, she ran flyball for Emma (13 year old handler)...WITHOUT ME BEING NEARBY!

This is HUGE! There were only 2 other people that could run her in the past, and I always had to be hovering...so even if I was sick/hurt, I had to drag myself out into the lane so she could see me. This weekend, Emma took her out and ran her without me...*beaming* They've been slowly building up to this, I've been letting Emma walk her in and out of the building by herself, then in and out of the ring by herself...but I always showed up in the ring. In the past, if I wasn't there, Inara has stopped racing and has run out of the ring and building. Not anymore...now she just runs for Emma. Making us all VERY happy.

Erin, I know how huge this is for you and Inara. You should be extremely proud of all the work you've done with her.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TinaMartin » June 3rd, 2011, 12:12 pm

This morning Gator was a good boy! For the last month there has been a woman who seems to insist on walking her sausage of a bad example of an American Bulldog by my house every day when I am out there with Kaydra to get on the bus. This is also when I take the dogs out to potty. Gator normally gets VERY reactive. Today Gator listened to the leave it command and turned up the driveway while this dog was approaching! They were less than 2 houses away. Gators comfort zone for other dogs is at least a block away and no dog smell coming towards him on the wind. Oh boy did I praise the heck out of him! :dance:
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Malli » June 3rd, 2011, 2:09 pm

woop Gator!
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » June 4th, 2011, 8:23 am

Sepp has been using a bell attached to the door knob to let me know when he needs to go out to potty since he was a small puppy... last week he discovered, all on his own, that the bell is also a great tool to let me know when he wants to come back in. Cracks me up on a daily basis... my dog now has his very own door (wo)man! lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Pit♥bull » June 4th, 2011, 8:35 am

Nice to see ya back Christine :dance:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Training & Behavior